PDA

View Full Version : Thanks everybody..........

ICE
02-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone on lawnsite. You guys have always been brimming full of knowledge and experience. I can honestly say that I could have made it in this industry if were for three things different. Location, location, location. But, with no options of moving, I am just going to go back and work for the man. It is just easier than having my whopping 5 clients. Two years ago, I had 2 clients when I started in July 2004.

Going out on my own was definately a different experience. I told my old boss that I was going to go out and try doing this on my own, and he got mad at me and told me I would never make it and b$@ched about me being 'competion', even though I told him that in no way I would even come close to being working against him or stealing his clients. I just wanted to do it in my own community under my own terms. I did just that using the knowledge that I had picked up from him, and here. I used my invested money to pick up my equipment, and made a go of it.

But, I just can not seem to get it much off the ground. Maybe I need a few more years, that I have not got to give. So thus is the reason why I am throwing in the towel.

I have listed my equipment up for sale in the local news paper and in my Sig line. If anyone is intrested, I can email or post pictures right to this thread of the eqipment I have listed.

The Exmark is in great shape. Starts right up and runs great. I would keep it to use on my yard except that it would be an extreme over kill. I would also consider a trade/cash deal on it too.

The Redmax trimmer was bought new on May 27, 2005. With five lawns a week with one of them being a bi-weekly, there are not many hours on her.

The Mid-Atlantic trailer is a 5x10 wooden plank deck and heavy duty gate. It has a trimmer rack on it with three holders. The trailer is in very good shape as well.

I also have a sthil blower/vac that has all the attacments. It runs good.

If you need any further information, let me know and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks again to everyone at Lawnsite! You guys have been great!! :clapping:

Tim:cool2:

QualityLawnCare4u
02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey ICE, good luck to you, nothing wrong with going back to work for the man if you have to. I am also right on your heals of throwing in the towel due to your problem of a horrible location.I have made a go at it for 8 years now and my first 2 years were better than the last 2 by 200%! I just hate to give up my freedom and being my on boss but sometimes no matter how hard you try it just does not work. I have also put up my equipment for sale and keeping just enough to make it one more season. I give it my best and my best just wasnt good enough.

ICE
02-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey there Blackshear! I have seen your posts around. I remember last year you were thinking about throwing it in too. Hopefully you have better luck getting some people signed up for your service this year.

I have been doing this on my own for two years now with very little return. I have put alot into this business, and just feel that I may just be spinning my wheels. So I figure that I might just get out while the getting is good and work on something else that just might fly. It is too bad really, I like being outside and doing the work was never really a problem. But, late last year when I was really counting on some extra $$, we had about a month with no rain, which kinda drove the last nail in to my coffin. After that, I had my customers calling me and telling me that they just did not need their lawns cut and that they would call me when they did. Yes, I kind of wish that I had put them into a year long contract that would entitle me to getting paid no matter what, but, hindsight is 20/20 and that is neither here nor there for me.

Good luck to you!
Tim :cool2:

LLandscaping
02-25-2006, 05:29 PM
ICE,
Good luck with the new career, sometimes you can only do so much to try and grow a business. We are switching most of your customers to 12 month lawn agreements and sometimes it doesn't go over well. We are lucky to have a good market close to where we live. We have to travel 25 miles to get there but it is worth it. Hope everything works out and I wish you the best with whatever you decide.

ICE
02-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Oh sorry guys, I got some pictures around for you guys that wanted me to post. I will try to get that done a little later today. I have never posted pictures on here before, so it may take a little while. I guess it is a good thing that I got those pictures yesterday, because today there is about 3 inches of snow on the ground! LOL This winter has been crazy!

Tim

ICE
02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I am working on getting the pictures done now. Getting them sized up and uploaded might take a little while. I am kinda new at this, so give me a little bit. LOL I'm getting there! :cool2: Also keep in mind that my prices are not concrete, and I am willing to negotiate a little bit. Espescially on the mower, if you have a garden tractor that you are willing to trade on, let me know. We can talk. I would really like to sell the whole thing as a unit, but, I will seperate.

Thanks,
Tim

LawnScenes
02-26-2006, 06:53 PM
ICE... What's the load rating on that trailer you're trying to sell? Single or dual axle? Pics?

M RASCOE&SONS
02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
the one thing you can say is that you made a go of it and gave it your all ,so many people dream of tryin it and never do but you tried and just didnt happen at this time.what you could do is keep your customers and do them on the side and just maybe in acouple of yrs you could try the full time thing again.good luck with the new venture

ICE
02-26-2006, 11:34 PM
ICE... What's the load rating on that trailer you're trying to sell? Single or dual axle? Pics?

Ya, I guess I should have posted some of the details. Here are some for the trailer. Made by Mid-Atlantic on 3/02. The GVWR is 2990lbs and the GAWR is 3500lbs. Single axle, no electric brakes. The gate is a single drop down heavy gate, with latches on either side. I have never had a problem even thinking that it would be not enough to haul around my mower and other equipment. It tracks very well and you can hardly even tell it is riding behind you. I am certainly glad that I went out and made this investment over one of the cheesier ones at home cheapo or Lowes. If you have seen them, they are NOT even near made of the same gage material. It already has the trimmer rack on the side and is ready to roll. Oh, and by the way, here is my first attempt at posting a picture.

Thanks,

Oh, one more thing, it is an 2002, and there is some minor surface rust. The wood is NOT rotted and still very SOLIID. I would not hesitate at all to take this anywhere with a load on. I can send you some more detailed pictures if you wish. Just let me know! Thanks again!

ICE
02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
the one thing you can say is that you made a go of it and gave it your all ,so many people dream of tryin it and never do but you tried and just didnt happen at this time.what you could do is keep your customers and do them on the side and just maybe in acouple of yrs you could try the full time thing again.good luck with the new venture

You know, you are absolutely right. I did give it a go, and if it were for a better location, things may have been different. Or maybe if I opened myself up to driving a bit further too, but I wanted to keep my windshied time to very minimal to help keep costs down. I also did think of trying to keep my customers and doing them on the side, but with family life and everything else happening, I know that they would get the short end of the stick, and I just did not think that would be fair to my customers. Who knows, if this business all goes south, then maybe I will start again, a bit smarter and with a lesson from the school of hardknocks, maybe I would do something different to actually make this thing fly.

It was a dream afterall.

Thank you for your well wishings!

ICE
02-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Some more pictures for you all. Three of the Redmax trimmer, and two of the sthil blower. Questions? Email me or PM me and I will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

LawnScenes
02-27-2006, 12:26 AM
Ya, I guess I should have posted some of the details. Here are some for the trailer. Made by Mid-Atlantic on 3/02. The GVWR is 2990lbs and the GAWR is 3500lbs. Single axle, no electric brakes. The gate is a single drop down heavy gate, with latches on either side. I have never had a problem even thinking that it would be not enough to haul around my mower and other equipment. It tracks very well and you can hardly even tell it is riding behind you. I am certainly glad that I went out and made this investment over one of the cheesier ones at home cheapo or Lowes. If you have seen them, they are NOT even near made of the same gage material. It already has the trimmer rack on the side and is ready to roll. Oh, and by the way, here is my first attempt at posting a picture.

Thanks,

Oh, one more thing, it is an 2002, and there is some minor surface rust. The wood is NOT rotted and still very SOLIID. I would not hesitate at all to take this anywhere with a load on. I can send you some more detailed pictures if you wish. Just let me know! Thanks again!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it's a little small for my needs. I'm going to need something with at least a 8000 # capacity.

ICE
02-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Yes, it is a Hydro. I guess I forgot to mention one of the more important things about it. Oooops.

Thanks,

ICE
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes, I will seperate if need be. I kind of wanted to sell off the whole thing as a unit, but I totally understand that people may only need certain components as well. Make me an offer if you are intrested.

Thanks,
Tim

ICE
02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
And yes, I would sell the entire thing as a package deal. $5000 Thanks for the questions, I will try to keep answering as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Tim

MMLawn
02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Seems like you are doing more "answering" than there is questions in the thread, 15 Post and 10 of them are yours :)

Maybe if you actually tried the For Sale Forum versus just "bumping" this one back up to the first page?....Good Luck though.