PDA

View Full Version : Need Expert Advice Honda 5.5 or Briggs 6.75 ?

Bigolbigun
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I need some good advice guys. I need to add another 21" to my arsenal. Same features on both mowers just different engines. Never used honda before. Both are low end $ wise below 400. But that's all I really need. Thanks for the help.

newz7151
02-25-2006, 10:01 AM
I need some good advice guys. I need to add another 21" to my arsenal. Same features on both mowers just different engines. Never used honda before. Both are low end $ wise below 400. But that's all I really need. Thanks for the help.

If you are looking to save money at the purchase phase, you'd be better off going with the Briggs. Reason I say this, is because if you aren't wanting to spend alot on the mower to begin with, I know you will want to spend as little as possible on any repairs of it, and the Briggs engines parts are many times less expensive than the repair parts for the Honda. And anything on a low end unit like that, the Honda engine doesn't carry a commercial warranty anyway, so might as well get the Briggs for the cheaper parts when something breaks. If this is on something like an MTD though, your mower will probably break down under commercial use faster than the engine.

lawnspecialties
02-25-2006, 10:02 AM
I bought a Husquvarna at Lowe's to help me finish out the season. It has the Honda 5.5. I've had both. If they are comparable in price, get the Honda. Unlike the Briggs' I've had in the past, it starts every time, usually first pull. The Briggs' always hated sitting a while and if they're on the trailer and you get caught in the rain :dizzy: . Even though its less hp, I've never noticed a difference.

TURF DOCTOR
02-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Get the honda for about the same cost,resale will be there and it might start a little better.

Madstriper
02-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda is the only way to go. OK, not really, but you will never regret buying a Honda. If the Honda wont crank on the first pull, its your fault, you forgot something. After 14 years in the equipment business, thats all I would buy. Yes, parts are more expensive, sometimes alot more, also cant usually get them as quickly as you can the B & S parts. But you will rarely need any honda parts anyway. Keep the air filter clean, and keep the mower out of the rain if possible and you will love it.
If you are looking at the Honda mowers at Home Depot, or like them, you may need to buy a rear discharge chute from Honda, if the grass is real tall and or wet, mulching and bagging will be a slow process. I have the single speed honda and love it, but the heavy grass is the only complaint. Good luck.

Bigolbigun
02-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys for your input.