PDA

View Full Version : Tree and Shrub care

theo
02-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Hello......I have heard that one lawn company in my area is offering tree and shrub care for the up coming year.They advertize that they will inject it into the roots with liqiud fert in the spring and fall.They are charging 75$ for three trees and 15$ for each tree after.The prices if they can get them seems good and this would be a good add on and the flexablity on when it can be done is also a bonus.My question is does anybody offer this service and what is really invoved in this service for exsample products,aplicators ect and how much you charge.....thanks

DFW Area Landscaper
02-25-2006, 10:22 AM
There is nothing natural about a dark green, weed free lawn. They do not exist in nature. That's why a nice lawn needs chemical treatments.

Trees and shrubs, on the other hand, do exist in nature. They don't need any help to survive and be healthy.

If the plants are selected with pest problems in mind, they won't have any pest problems. For example, in my area, a lot people select and install gold spot euyonymous. This plant is a magnet for scale. It should not be installed in the first place (around here, anyway).

Yet, other plants, have no natural pests in the north Texas area.

In my area, as long as the customer doesn't water the plants in the middle of the night, most plants won't have fungus problems.

If the customer's plants are tolerant of the natural surroundings, chemical treatments aren't necessary, in my opinion.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Groundspro
02-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Fertilization of trees and shrubs are important in the early years as a a plant develops. But if the plants were properly planted with organic loam and existing soil, watered correctly for the first few years there should not be a problem. But unlike the dry temperate climate of the southwest, Canada experiences more severe climatic changes... very cold winters and bursts of hot weather in the summer. Insect and fungal activity is a bit more problematic then in Texas.
I suggest that a program incorporating dormant oils in the spring ( when temps are mild) and a fert every other year in the fall should be a prudent care for plants in Ontario. Also, check with an extension office , if you have one, or another agency that can give recommendations for your area. One last thing, insect activity such as the EAB(Emerald Ash Beetle) can devastate specific trees in a very short time. Reading the trade mags will keep you abreast of any alerts you need to react too.

Jason Rose
02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Well DFW you must live in a Utopia there where soil problems and insects never occur??? Here in KS there is a need to feed trees and shrubs too. There is only a select few varieties that actually grow native here and they SUCK. Most of the trees planted here grow well, but in the last 5 years or so there has been a decline in the oak trees health (and several others as well). Trees that were healthy for years suddenly started turning yellow and the leaves on the outer branches would eventually not come back the next season. Chlorisis (lack of Iron) is the cause. Iv'e yet to hear a reasoning as to why it has happened all over town to trees that were healthy for 20, 30, 40 years. There is a NEED for treatment of most all trees here, feed them or they will die.

I too have been interested in tree and shrub feeding information. I'm sure liquid is the way to go, but Iv'e also read that the fertilizer, once mixed in the tank, has to be constantly agitated and used quickly. That's just not feasable for someone solo who has other things to do in the day. Granular apps made using holes drilled in the soil around the dripline can be good for maintence, but they aren't successful for pulling a tree back from it's chloritic state. A very costly treatment I have seen that works great is directly injecting the base (trunk) of the tree with food and even insecticides and fungicides.

Anyone have any info on any of the types of treatments? Tools needed, materials prefered, and cost?

Thanks!

Green Dreams
02-25-2006, 05:39 PM
A very costly treatment I have seen that works great is directly injecting the base (trunk) of the tree with food and even insecticides and fungicides.

Anyone have any info on any of the types of treatments? Tools needed, materials prefered, and cost?

Thanks!

Mauget comes to mind. I talked to a fella at a trade show and can't remember their name. Something like "executive sales" or "exclusive pest sales"

sweetjetskier
02-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Lets put this in perspective, nursery plants have controlled environments, proper fertilizer, water, insect and disease controls that are watched on an daily basis. Once a palnt leaves the nursery best intentions and all, it is not cared for the same.
A homeowner may water correctly for a while but the after care is minimal.
Soils are compacted, subsoils, or just stressed. We use ROOTS with michorizae to help the plants in everyway we can. We do a minimum of 2 ornamental deep root feedings a season.
We also visit properties every 4 weeks on a plant health care program.

sheshovel
02-25-2006, 09:41 PM
In a newly installed landscape..if the soil is prepared properly for planting..that is all the tree's and shrubs need..... after they use that good prep to get established it is best to allow them to naturally adapt to the native soil and conditions..If they are not chosen and planted with with those conditions in mind when planning the landscape..you will have a struggling landscape that will have to be chemically addicted all it's life..the don't adapt to adverse conditions but simply live off the "feedings" that you apply..the feedings stop the plant dies.
Now tree's that are established in the landscape as DFW mentioned Do Not need a plant care program unless they are environmentally stressed .To all of a sudden begin a regular schedule of feeding and treating for pests that do not exist..can do more harm than good.Also pests DO build up resistance to
chemicals that are regularly and constantly applied
and systemic pesticides are detrimental to soil health

Mountain Gardener
02-26-2006, 11:47 AM
theo - I've been in this business for about 20 years. $75.00 to deep root feed 3 trees is nuts. At those prices they are NOT making, but in fact are losing money unless -

1. Unless they are very small trees.
2. They are not properly doing the job.
3. Being outright dishonest.
4. The list could go on and on.

Good biofertilizers with W/mycorrhizal inoculants are not cheap and require a 200 gal sprayer dedicated for injection work for best results. No herbicides should be used in the same sprayer. A 24" tree at CBH, to be properly treated will require about 100 - 125 gal of mix. That means about 200 injection sites. There are but a few good products on the market so do your homework before you start work. Shortcuts on application rates, technique, or cheap product and the trees will tell on you!

The prices you said were quoted are another example of prostituting our profession for the sake of "getting the job" and doing sloppy work that result in unhappy customers. Is it any wonder that us "landscapers" are held in such low esteem?
Hope I was some help.