PDA

View Full Version : High End Customers, who leaves the clippings?

toxic man
02-25-2006, 12:39 PM
How many of you guys leave the clippings either bagged or in the customers cans? Is it a big deal to haul it away? dou you end up with a lot of clippings during the growing season on a 25 yard residential route of 2000 sq ft lawns.

Do you charge extra for this?

Thanks

Lou
Weed Solutions

PGA
02-25-2006, 12:50 PM
How many of you guys leave the clippings either bagged or in the customers cans? Is it a big deal to haul it away? dou you end up with a lot of clippings during the growing season on a 25 yard residential route of 2000 sq ft lawns.

Do you charge extra for this?

Thanks

Lou
Weed Solutions

I have one customer that I bag on a regular basis. I do it Wednesday morning as their trash comes Wednesday afternoon. They dont mind and neither do I. The yard is about 50,000 sq feet. Lots of bags!

I told him if I had to dump the price would go up $50.00. They already pay $120 to have it cut so they agreed to let me put it on the curb.

crzymow
02-25-2006, 01:23 PM
i bag most of the lawns i mow under 12,000 sq ft. a few over that, but not a lot over that. I take the clippings with me and dump them on my farm. been doing it for about 5 years now, getting a pretty good pile. gonnna spread it in my grapevineyard this spring i think. dont know what i would do if i didnt have a place to dump though. Actually around here i know of a few places that dont charge to dump.

LLandscaping
02-25-2006, 02:56 PM
We leave our grass in bags because we don't have room to carry it on our trailer. It also gets old delaying with wet grass and going to the dump every Saturday. We mainly maintain high end residential properties and the customers have never had a problem with it.

Runner
02-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I leave my high end customers clippings with them...right in their lawn. I don't do the customer-wish nonsense of "bagging". I just simply explain to them, that they don't bag Wrigley Field, and they don't bag Warwick Hills Golf Course, either.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-25-2006, 04:00 PM
We dispose of clippings for many of our customers. There are many dev. around here that they are really stuck on the idea of bagging the clippings. Many of the upper middle to upper scale dev. if you do not bag you do not get the customer. Some will let you get away with it. It doesn't matter to them that the clippings is actually better for their lawn. Some folks if you say that you do it but it will be an extra charge they change their mind. IMO collecting the clippings really cuts into your production time. Many will disagree. If it only takes you and extra 5 minutes per lawn x's 10-20 per day x's 5-6 days a week. 20 lawns x 5 x 6 = 10 hours That is not to mention disposal costs if the apply. Toxic man, if you can get away with not disposing of the clippings do it. If not, charge them for it. JMO

Az Gardener
02-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I leave my high end customers clippings with them...right in their lawn. I don't do the customer-wish nonsense of "bagging". I just simply explain to them, that they don't bag Wrigley Field, and they don't bag Warwick Hills Golf Course, either.

This may be true but they mow Wrigley daily and your greens and tees daily too so your comparing apples to oranges, as a matter of fact I bet they catch the turf on your greens and tees too, they do here. We bag everything from 300sq ft to 25-K, adds about 7% to the cost. We bring it back daily in P/U bed and transfer to dump trailer and dump trailer goes to the dump every 3-4 days.

DSIM
02-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Bagging is a waste of time and money. The benefits of mulching need to be explained to the customer. If you mow every 7 days I dont see why you would need to bag.

Around here they try and discourage everyone from bagging. The trash collectors wont pick up bags of grass and then if you take them to the landfill they make you cut open the bags, dump the grass, then they make you take the bags with you. Ever smelled bagged grass thats a day or two old and has been in the sun? Whew!

After mulching, if there's any clippings on top of the lawn I use the blower to disperse then and looks as good as bagged. :cool2:

LB1234
02-25-2006, 06:39 PM
In my town, it is illegal to have your contractor leave the grass clippings for the garbage pick up. I guess if you don't get caught, you didn't do anything illegal.

As for if you mow every seven days you can mulch. Not on some of my accounts in the spring. I guess its site specific.

dcondon
02-25-2006, 06:45 PM
we have a few high end accounts that like it bagged but we can leave the clippings on the property.:cool2:

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I run a service biz...explain to client that there are ORGANIC benefits to
recycling clippings.It costs more to bag and haul ,and I explain that up front.
If they still want it bagged(and some do) we haul it. I do have the benefit of some high end places that have a compost area so we can let it there.
I have a place that charges me $600 per year for unlimited dumping.
What are fees in your areas?

mulcahy mowing
02-25-2006, 07:15 PM
i bag with the z (thats all it can do with out putting a 60"deck on it) mulch with the w/b's

crzymow
02-26-2006, 12:49 AM
you cant compare mowing in texas and mowing in pennsylvania, different grass and different conditions.

DSIM
02-26-2006, 10:03 AM
In Texas we have all types of "conditions" when it comes to mowing. We have at least 5-6 different common types of grasses, then probably 4 -5 less common.

So it still all boils down to wether you really want to bag or not. I for one would not bag a 12k lot. If the grass is to tall to mulch then side discharge it and mow it twice.

ICE
02-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Bagging is a waste of time and money. The benefits of mulching need to be explained to the customer. If you mow every 7 days I dont see why you would need to bag.

Around here they try and discourage everyone from bagging. The trash collectors wont pick up bags of grass and then if you take them to the landfill they make you cut open the bags, dump the grass, then they make you take the bags with you. Ever smelled bagged grass thats a day or two old and has been in the sun? Whew!

After mulching, if there's any clippings on top of the lawn I use the blower to disperse then and looks as good as bagged. :cool2:

I agree. Mow every seven, and there is just simply no need for it.

Az Gardener
02-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Try not bagging with a reel mower. Can't we just all get along. I should have known better than to put in my .02 in this thread. Everyplace is different customers are too, and perception is different from person to person, even in the same area. The value of mulching is undisputed, but so are the hazards of smoking, need I say more. I probably do. just because you know what is the best for the environment does not mean you do what is best. The world would be better off if we did but we don't. Lets face it many of you don't bag because its a pain, and thank god there is some research to substantiate the practice. But I'll bet many of you smoke, so lets call a spade a spade and admit you don't bag because its a pain period, not because you are committed environmentalists.

ProStreetCamaro
02-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Try not bagging with a reel mower. Can't we just all get along. I should have known better than to put in my .02 in this thread. Everyplace is different customers are too, and perception is different from person to person, even in the same area. The value of mulching is undisputed, but so are the hazards of smoking, need I say more. I probably do. just because you know what is the best for the environment does not mean you do what is best. The world would be better off if we did but we don't. Lets face it many of you don't bag because its a pain, and thank god there is some research to substantiate the practice. But I'll bet many of you smoke, so lets call a spade a spade and admit you don't bag because its a pain period, not because you are committed environmentalists.

Your right it is a royal pain in the ass to bag. Add to the fact that nobody is willing to pay extra to have there lawn bagged every week in this area. They look at us like we are crazy when we tell them it will be $10-$20 extra per cut if they want it bagged depending on the size of the lawn. We then explain to them that it takes us more time to bag, time to drive to the dump, pay dump fee's, fuel used, nails in the tires from roofing trucks in the dump and that its a proven fact that not bagging is much better for the lawn and environment. We also explain that if a lawn is maintained properly you wont be able to tell the difference between a lawn thats bagged or isnt bagged. After they think about it for a second most people normaly say "I never thought about it that way before" and they go ahead and give us the OK to cut and not bag.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that we do bag on occasion under certain circumstances but its very very rare and only if a lawn has gotten out of hand.

crzymow
02-26-2006, 02:27 PM
I still havent heard what anyone does with a lawn they mow with a heavy dew or if it is wet from a recent rain.. a thick kentucky blue/rye mix lawn with 7 days growth will look terrible if mulched, even if gone over 3 times. Again a lot has to do with what the public in your area is use to and wants.

ProStreetCamaro
02-26-2006, 02:37 PM
I still havent heard what anyone does with a lawn they mow with a heavy dew or if it is wet from a recent rain.. a thick kentucky blue/rye mix lawn with 7 days growth will look terrible if mulched, even if gone over 3 times. Again a lot has to do with what the public in your area is use to and wants.

We dont mulch either. Strictly side discharge. Clean deck with sharp blades works wonders on thick wet lawns. If it leaves a couple clumps we simply walk back across the lawn a use the blower on the clumps. That brakes them up and they dissappear into the turf.

YardPro
02-26-2006, 02:44 PM
we use all mulching mowers...
provides at least 25% of the nutirents the grass needs.etc.etc...

Signature Landscaping1
02-26-2006, 02:47 PM
I do about 10 props that are over a $1million,the rest are middle class homes. half of them want me to leave the clippings behind so they can use them in their garderns.

GrassBustersLawn
02-26-2006, 05:24 PM
ditto what RUNNER said!

Mike

crzymow
02-26-2006, 06:08 PM
okay so you mow a place twice if it clumps when u side discharge, how about when you go between a mulched bed and a driveway that there is only about 4-6' between the two? you blow the wet grass onto the driveway or into the bed?, not trying to be a smartass, just want to know how to do it without making a mess.

DSIM
02-26-2006, 10:04 PM
okay so you mow a place twice if it clumps when u side discharge, how about when you go between a mulched bed and a driveway that there is only about 4-6' between the two? you blow the wet grass onto the driveway or into the bed?, not trying to be a smartass, just want to know how to do it without making a mess.

Either attach mulch plate to mow that small area or use a different mower.

promower
02-27-2006, 01:20 AM
I only bag one customers back lawn and she has been the only person to ever have a valid reason as to why I should. She runs a dog grooming business out of her home, if I dont bag, the dogs get all grass stained up after she gets done making them look nice. Very small yard doesnt take but maybe an extra 5 min, and I can dump in her compost bin.

Splicer
02-27-2006, 01:56 AM
What is everyone feelings on using a lawn sweeper instead of mulching or bagging? Wouldn't that work?

qualitylawnmanagement
02-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Why even think bout bagging. I mulch pretty much the whole season, the only time I bag is the last 8 cuts of the season cause of leafs.

old dog 80
02-27-2006, 12:59 PM
That is when they need to be talked into less nitrogen!

old dog 80
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Either attach mulch plate to mow that small area or use a different mower.
Won't work on heavy spring bluegrass with lots of fert-too many clippings.
On some places we contract for 4 and 5 day cuts in heavy growth times.

Frontier-Lawn
02-27-2006, 05:40 PM
i ony mulch & no baging period!!!!!!!!!! if they want it baged i have in my contract its a extra $15 per bag. and most porpertys are 6-9 bags. they shuts them up right there.