PDA

View Full Version : clip, mulch, bag

bigjeeping
02-25-2006, 01:20 PM
What do you do? I have never bagged and don't see it as an option for myself. I dont have room on truck/trailer to carry loads of grass!

I've always mulched so far. No big problems - sometimes have to double cut to break up wet grass clumps.

jtkplc
02-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, my thinking is that if it's worked for you so far, why change? I wouldn't be switching to a more difficult method of cutting.

I will be mulching this year because it makes the most sense. I've been side discharging all along, but I am getting sick of wasting so much time double cutting or in severe cases having to do a little bagging of the excess grass that won't dissipate enough on the second cut. It will hopefully allow me to eliminate the majority of my double cutting. Bagging is too much of a pain and is worse for the grass.

QualityLawnCare4u
02-25-2006, 01:35 PM
This coming season I am eliminating ALL bagging(that is why my Exmark is for sale). Any customers that want it bagged will have to call someone else, sticking with mulching. All my bagging yards are these old shrivled up prunes who think that a yard has to be bagged and they dont want to pay any extra for it. I find it funny that ALL my bagging customers are over 65. When I first got my Exmark had great plans for it on these big yards these old people wanted bagged but I quickly learned about the threshold of pain, 50 bucks is it here no matter if you are mulching 1/10 an acre or bagging 5 acres! The heck with the bagging, no more. Dang, Im starting this season off with a nice attitude:laugh:

P & L Turf
02-25-2006, 01:38 PM
For us it depends on the job. Sometimes we'll bag up the lawn for certain things like party cuts, or stuff like that. When I worked for my old boss we had only one customer that we would bag on a weekly basis. This lady was so nice that I never minded bagging her lawn. The nice thing was it didn't add that much more time onto the day. Besides, she'd come out every week or two with homemade cookies or a case of water for us and she'd always praise us with what a good job we were doing and how jealous her neighbors were. Plus with all the good word she was spreading for us she helped to land more accounts not only on her street, but family and friends as well. She's the only one we bagged. Everyone else was happy with the grass just being side discharged with the occasional double cut.

bigjeeping
02-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Whenever I got a call for someone who wanted their grass bagged I would explain that we have professional grass mulching equipment installed on our mowers. Then I'd explain the benefits of mulching their grass and offer a one-time trial cut (they still have to pay). I'd say something along "if you'd like to try it out, you may like the results, so we'll go from there"

3 out of 3 times the customer didn't see any clippings and signed up!

Fvstringpicker
02-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Here, it seems that 80-90% of the LCO have Walker baggers so essentially you're competing with baggers. Most residentials will select bagging if given a choice. I mulch, but 100% of my small client base are commericals. If I get into residential, more than likely, I'll have to start bagging.

crzymow
02-25-2006, 03:47 PM
what time of day do most of you start mowing? when there is a dew on the grass how in the world do you mulch the grass? And in the spring when you most just once a week it looks terrible, even if you go over it a second time. Dont get me wrong, im not a fan of bagging, but i hate when a lawn looks like crap when im done as well.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I used to bag a lot when i was using smaller equipment, i since have lost all of the customers that wanted it bagged when i no longer bagged the grass, i wasnt HIGH in price bagged or not but i even gave them the benefit of the doubt and lowered most lawns $5-$10 and they still didnt like it, i was cutting them each week, but theyre prissy little lawn development people that have to keep up with the jones's, bag all grass, water every night, do all the fertalizations 1900 times per year yadda yadda. Wasnt bad loosing them.

I did at one time have some lawns for $45~, one customer said if i dont bag it anymore, how much would it cost... well i thought eh, still takes a long time, $40, but i told him $35 to maybe save myself a lot of work, he says, "OH, only $10? well ill keep having it bagged then" lol, like wtf, then i realized i should have been charging $60+ and then not bagged fee charging $30~.

Bigolbigun
02-25-2006, 05:08 PM
No curbside pickup of any bagged grass is allowed where I am. Makes it an easy choice to mulch. Only tough on a new yard that has not been well taken care of and is overgrown. I Always charge more for the first time. Keeping a good sharp blade is the key.

bigjeeping
02-25-2006, 05:16 PM
If I did bag - I'd probably charge 1.5x the mulching rate. So a $40 yard would be $60 bagged. One thing I've never done is just shot clippings... does it work good for anyone? Can you see the large clippings all over the place?

jtkplc
02-25-2006, 06:50 PM
If I did bag - I'd probably charge 1.5x the mulching rate. So a $40 yard would be $60 bagged. One thing I've never done is just shot clippings... does it work good for anyone? Can you see the large clippings all over the place?

Are you referring to side discharging?

bigjeeping
02-25-2006, 07:19 PM
yes.. how else do you shoot clippings? :)

jtkplc
02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
yes.. how else do you shoot clippings? :)

I just wanted to make sure what you meant.

I've been side discharging since day one and in tall grass I might have to double cut, otherwise it's fine. The clippings disappear into the lawn.

One thing with side discharging is that if you use gator mulching blades it will chop up the clippings better. I've had to double cut less since switching to them.

jhoneycutt
02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
silly question, but when you talk @ mulching are you covering the shoot on the side discharge?

bigjeeping
02-28-2006, 11:24 AM
silly question, but when you talk @ mulching are you covering the shoot on the side discharge?

Different mowers will have different mulching kits availible. One part of the kit always includes a mulch plate which covers the discharge. You might have mulching baffles and blades also.

jhoneycutt
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Different mowers will have different mulching kits availible. One part of the kit always includes a mulch plate which covers the discharge. You might have mulching baffles and blades also.
Hey Jeep, I cut me a piece of thin metal today a coverd the chute what a dusty mess. I just had regular blades on also that may be a problem, and dont know if it really done anything worth it.

grassyfras
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't mind bagging if I could leave the stuff on the property somewhere and get an extra10 dolalrs a property.