PDA

View Full Version : Equipment provided

mike lane lawn care
02-25-2006, 02:22 PM
I did landscaping for my neighbors mother, who lives down the street. We had a bit of a falling out last season, but I would say hi if i saw her out side in my neighbors driveway. anyway..., she called me and wants me to continue to do her yard, as her carpenter/mason/ new lawn guy started taking advantage of her by charging WAY too much money for the job and never finishing the job, something that i never did. So we sat down and talked and worked out an agreement, but she wants me to use her equipment (weed eater trimmer and Yard Machines tractor), i have used this equipment before and it SUCKS. for some reason she will pay me what i estimated her, but doesn't want me to use my equipment. what should I do.

ktorrence
02-25-2006, 04:29 PM
There are many reasons you should always use your own equipment. Liability issues alone are enough of a reason. I suspect that if you present a nice but stern refusal to use her equipment that you will be on your way to a more pleasant and professional relationship with this customer.

mike lane lawn care
02-25-2006, 06:28 PM
thanks for the response ktorrence

LB1234
02-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Depending on your situation...

I wouldn't recommend using someone elses equipment...However, if you do I would get a written agreement that you are not responsible for repairs, maintenance, etc. due whether do to your fault or not.

Precision
02-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Depending on your situation...

I wouldn't recommend using someone elses equipment...However, if you do I would get a written agreement that you are not responsible for repairs, maintenance, etc. due whether do to your fault or not.

I disagree. it isn't even about damaging the equipment. It is about damaging you, wasting time using foriegn equipment. Looking like a putz using grannies equipment.

Its your business, your rules, they take it or leave it.

Runner
02-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Tell her to hire the kid down the road...He'll use her equipment all she wants.

MysticLandscape
02-25-2006, 07:42 PM
If your just starting then i would say use it, but if you have an esatblished customer base i wouldnt its not worth it, i did it for one person last year, i could of done it three times as fast with my machine and this year its either my stuff or nothing.

J&R Landscaping
02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
I would definitly use MY EQUIPMENT!! I don't need to be liable for damaging her equipment! Also, you use her mowers and it could lead you down the wrong road...If she refers you to her friends who think like her and want you to use their equipment, you will be losing a lot of time and your reputation may suffer! Sounds like she still considers you the kid down the street and not a business man! JMO

CC Lawncare
02-25-2006, 08:30 PM
I ran into that situation myself a few years back on a large estate. Their on-site handyman had too much to do so they decided to outsource the lawncare. They wanted me to use their commercial equipment. It was not zero-turn though so I knew that I could do a better & faster job with my ZT's. I quoted them a price using my equipment, explained the improved appearance they would get with ZT mowers. I alos told them I would use their mowers if they insisted but the price would be the same + they would have the additional expense of fuel, maintenance,etc.. They opted for my equipment and we were good to go.

mike lane lawn care
02-25-2006, 09:39 PM
thanks for all of the replies, i think i am going to talk to her and firmly sudjest that I use my equipment as it will have a much higher quality and get done faster

LB1234
02-26-2006, 10:42 AM
thanks for all of the replies, i think i am going to talk to her and firmly sudjest that I use my equipment as it will have a much higher quality and get done faster

DON'T tell her the reason is it will get done faster. Her response might be it should be cheaper (her price) due to you being there less time.

mike lane lawn care
02-26-2006, 02:18 PM
DON'T tell her the reason is it will get done faster. Her response might be it should be cheaper (her price) due to you being there less time.

thanks, i was going to talk to her sometime this week about using my own equipment, she is stubborn, but if i explain it to her about the liability she will deffinatly understand