PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix scratches in Chrome?

JSMLAWNCARE
02-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I have chrome step bars on my F350. They are really starting to get scratched. What kind of wax or polish do you all use?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim M

jblawns123
02-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Can't be done.

lawnmaniac883
02-25-2006, 06:01 PM
^^^ Ditto ^^^

captken
02-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Chrome step bars....chrome anything...your bumper for example...when you "step' on your step bars, the grit from any sand or mud will scratch the finish...no matter what....no amount of wax or polish will protect from that.
You use them and learn to expect scratches.
Then after the scratches appear, hopefully you also learn, not to put your muddy boots on it....as you will create more scratches.

South Florida Lawns
02-25-2006, 09:09 PM
I'd fix those scratches by simply removing the steps all together.

I don't think they even serve a purpose at all other than making the truck look cluttered.

They also give it less ground clearance too.

But thats just me.

captken
02-25-2006, 09:15 PM
I'd fix those scratches by simply removing the steps all together.

I don't think they even serve a purpose at all other than making the truck look cluttered.

They also give it less ground clearance too.

But thats just me.

Hear Hear!:rolleyes:

Randy J
02-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I have chrome step bars on my F350. They are really starting to get scratched. What kind of wax or polish do you all use?

Thanks in advance!!

Jim M

A good polish like Meguiar's followed by a good yellow wax will make them look better. Meguiar's even makes a real good metal polish. But everyone else is right - once they get scratched, there's not much you can do about them.

Restrorob
02-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Tape off the down section and have Rhino- Liner sprayed on the step section.

sheshovel
02-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Agreed..wax is not something yo want to put on a sstep at all..restorobs answer is a good ssolution to the problem...or you could use the new.Gorilla Tape.

Randy J
02-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Agreed..wax is not something yo want to put on a sstep at all..restorobs answer is a good ssolution to the problem...or you could use the new.Gorilla Tape.

She, you should try it. I wax chrome all the time. It makes it much easier to clean.

JSMLAWNCARE
02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Well here is pic. As you can see it's not from stepping on it. There is a rubber area that you step on. The area is just from mud and debris flying off the wheel.

Taking them off is not a option. The wife is to short.

I've thought about having them re-dipped in chrome. However, that would probably cost more than brand new ones.

Thanks for your help.

Jason Rose
02-26-2006, 11:50 AM
are you positive those are chromed steel? Most higher end Nerf bars are polished stainless steel, as are mine. if they are in fact stainless then yes, you can polish the scratches out of them, though i'm not sure of the protocol to do so.

Brendan Smith
02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
battle scars man, learn to appreciate them!! it is a truck after all.

JSMLAWNCARE
02-27-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm sure they're just chrome. They are from Ford. I know it's just a truck. But, what the heck, if I can make it look good; why not!!

olderthandirt
02-27-2006, 08:07 PM
start with a mild abrasive and some elbow grease to thoroughly clean the area. Then get some jeweler rogue and a buffing wheel on a dremel tool [need high speed for this] and buff away. It might not take all of them out but it will make it where you can't see them

lawnspecialties
02-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Don't they still sell chrome cleaner for bumpers. I would imagine getting any rust out and then putting a heavy wax over it would at least help delay the inevitable.

sheshovel
02-27-2006, 10:02 PM
She, you should try it. I wax chrome all the time. It makes it much easier to clean.

OH believe me Randy..I have done my share of waxing chrome..I just said a chrome STEP
for saftey reasons.

Randy J
02-28-2006, 02:44 PM
OH believe me Randy..I have done my share of waxing chrome..I just said a chrome STEP
for saftey reasons.

Oh. That I do agree with!