PDA

View Full Version : What to say when they open thry're doors?

hillibilly
02-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I have the flyers made, account book ready, and logo done. But I am at a loss to what I should say to people when they open there doors to me. Do I say "Hello. I am the owner of Back to Basics Lawn Care, and I am now acceptting accounts for the 06 season". To me that sounds way to chessy. But if I go up there and wing it I will probably screw up big time. So any suggestions on some opening lines or the such. let me hear them.:)

TURF DOCTOR
02-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Act natural you might screw up on the first few but it will come to you tell em what you do and can offer.

befnme
02-25-2006, 04:36 PM
tell em " yesterdy i kud not even spel gras kuter an tuday i is one ." no just kidding .just be professional and tell them who you are and ask if they might give you a moment to explain what you do and how you can help them.

Precision
02-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi, I am the owner of Back to basics lawncare. I am out letting people know about my services. (hand them the flyer). When they take it. Thank you.

unless they engage you inconversation, more on.

CC Lawncare
02-25-2006, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=befnme]tell em " yesterdy i kud not even spel gras kuter an tuday i is one ." QUOTE]:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Good one:laugh: :laugh:

CC Lawncare
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Our areas require Solicitation Permits if you knock on doors and great prospects. You don't need a permit if you are just putting up a doorhanger but otherwise you could be fined.$$$$$$. I don't know if that would be a concern in your area or not.

CC Lawncare
02-25-2006, 08:53 PM
OPPS! I meant to say "....greet prospects"

mow2nd
02-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Amazes me very year these guys are getting into the business and dont have a clue to what they are doing. You wouldnt start an operation without knowing what you are operating on would you, ummmmm "NO" So if you are getting into the business with no experience then go work for another lawn care business and learn from them. That's all I have to say about that........

hillibilly
02-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Amazes me very year these guys are getting into the business and dont have a clue to what they are doing. You wouldnt start an operation without knowing what you are operating on would you, ummmmm "NO" So if you are getting into the business with no experience then go work for another lawn care business and learn from them. That's all I have to say about that........

I have worked for another lawn care business the last two years. But I have never had to advertise for myself. The 10 yards I did last year were from people asking ME not me asking them. So I don't have a clue to how to get customers door to door. Oh yeah thanks for the constructive criticism!:rolleyes:

For everybody else thanks!. It is just hard for me to go up and ask these people to cut they're yards for them without knowing what to say. I am sure most of you have been there before, even if you don't admit it.

P.S.-What did I spell wrong?:laugh:

Runner
02-26-2006, 12:12 PM
First thing to say, is "Hello...How ARE you? I am .. .. ... I will be doing some work in your area this season, and would like to be of service to YOU, too." I WOULDN'T say we will be "accepting accounts" this season. That always sounds too stand-offish. The first thing that pops through a persons mind, is "Oh, gee, LUCKY me...." and when that does go through their minds, it isn't in a sincere way...
It has to be completely welcoming. YOU have to make the person feel that you feel priveledged to take care of them..that they are appreciated,..even before they are a customer...NOT "if they are lucky, you might take them on". We are a service business,...and we have to cater to customers and potential customers. You HAVE to sneak that foot in the door so you can have a few words.....if you say it like "we'll be accepting accounts this season", you have already put a limit on yourself, because it sounds like "As opposed to what?" NOT accepting accounts? THAT's not very warm or friendly for a business...If you don't have the capacity, Fine...I'll find someone who does...someone who is MORE than willing to take on me, my neighbor, and my freind in the next neighborhood over.
When you do this, you're not only not putting your foot in the door, being warm enough to get to the next level with the next p/c (potential customer), but you are taking steps backward off their porch as you're talking and essentially helping them close the door on you.
I hope this advice helps you.

o-so-n-so
02-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Don't try to sell them on the spot. Let your Brochure do that. Intro yourself and company name (a must) hand them the brochure and thank them for giving you the opportunity to serve them. Be prepared to give an estimate on the spot if they ask. Just be yourself unless your a jerk....then "act" nice.:laugh: .................:waving:

sheshovel
02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Advice..Don't go door to door,it's really tacky.Just get out some flyers and be seen doing your ten yards and leave business cards on all the bulliton boards in town..Give the nursery some and put them out at the hardware stores and grocery stores and take out an add in the paper.When solicit door to door you make yourself look like you are desperate for work..and people ddon't like to hire desperate people.Tell everyone what you do and I mean everyone you talk to and give them a card and tell them if they or anybody they know needs work..you are available.The work will come.

hobbsd
02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Advice..Don't go door to door,it's really tacky.Just get out some flyers and be seen doing your ten yards and leave business cards on all the bulliton boards in town..Give the nursery some and put them out at the hardware stores and grocery stores and take out an add in the paper.When solicit door to door you make yourself look like you are desperate for work..and people ddon't like to hire desperate people.Tell everyone what you do and I mean everyone you talk to and give them a card and tell them if they or anybody they know needs work..you are available.The work will come.

I disagree. If you act, dress, and are professional then it will help your image. If you are visiting commercial prospects, they will understand that it is imperative to get new business, even if they are highly annoyed by you stopping in on them.

One other question, Do you guys find better luck just stopping by businesses, or calling ahead and making appointments.

:usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

dsmrolla06
02-26-2006, 10:04 PM

I have to disagree as well. Im hiring 6 guys this year to do it this year. Door knockin in no way looks more desperate for work than any other kind of advertising. For commercial, i went around personally to each business. I asked teh receptionist who i needed to speak with, got a biz card, and left mine. Very rarely would i speak to who i needed to right then. I usually just called them and kept calling til i could reach them. I found i had a very low call back % on left messages. After doing estimates on commercial and finding out how low they are actually bid, i am just doing residential from now on.

As for what to say, i suggest writing out a script. Everyone in sales uses a script. When a script is well written and well rehearsed, you'll never know it was a script at all.

M RASCOE&SONS
02-26-2006, 10:48 PM
door to door is not being desperate by no means its better than sitting home and waiting for the phone to ring and hoping that the unsatisfied customers from other lco's will find your add in the local paper and call..lol ..to the guys doing the door to door sales make sure you look professional and i wouldnt recomend going at dinner time ..im going too start this wk and hope to pick up anywhere from 1 to 50 new customers (im keeping my fingers crossed) because i am going at 06 wide open...ps: sheshovel this my opinion so i dont want you to be pi$$ed at me because im hungrier this yr than any other so watch out CONNECTICUT..LOL:weightlifter: :weightlifter: :usflag: :drinkup:

Splicer
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
All great advice, each with their own merits. Thankyou.

hillibilly
02-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks everybody for the great advice! I went out yesterday to about 30 yards, door to door, and said the following "Hi, my name is Mark I have been mowing yards for the last couple of years, and was wondering if you might be interested in me mowing yours the summer." and handed them my flyer.

Here are my results. Out of thirty yards.........I got six brand new customers! I went and gave estimates today, and just got a call from three people tonight to give them estimates tommoroow afternoon. So in total 9/30 people said yes. I think I did pretty good considering I hear alot around here of people putting out thousands of flyers and not getting many customers. Also all these yards are either right next to each other of have a house inbetween. But I am still not happy and I am going to pimp myself out some more(wanting to have atleast 20 yards). Again thanks everybody!

dsmrolla06
02-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Thanks everybody for the great advice! I went out yesterday to about 30 yards, door to door, and said the following "Hi, my name is Mark I have been mowing yards for the last couple of years, and was wondering if you might be interested in me mowing yours the summer." and handed them my flyer.

Here are my results. Out of thirty yards.........I got six brand new customers! I went and gave estimates today, and just got a call from three people tonight to give them estimates tommoroow afternoon. So in total 9/30 people said yes. I think I did pretty good considering I hear alot around here of people putting out thousands of flyers and not getting many customers. Also all these yards are either right next to each other of have a house inbetween. But I am still not happy and I am going to pimp myself out some more(wanting to have atleast 20 yards). Again thanks everybody!

Were the 9 outa 30 for estimates only, or did you close on 9 out of the 30 yards? That makes a big difference becuase its alot easier to get an estimate than a close. Also i dont know if id say ive been mowing the past couple years, i dont think that really matters.

I would say something along the lines of "Hi my name is Mark with ________. Would never having to mow your lawn again interest you?"

You should try and give them some kind of benefit of hiring a lawn care pro, not just features.

sheshovel
02-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Rosco...I would never get pissed at you..I am just suprised is all.Tell me how you feel after your 1st day of knocking on doors.If ya ask me it's a great way to loose confidence and undermine your self esteem
that is a personal opinion of course..lemmie know Rosco how it makes you feel if you get turned down door after door.
I could be wrong here and it may well be a good job generator..I am just concerned about damaging fragile self confidence when just starting a business.
I just don't think some people can handle THAT KIND of rejection for long.We all need to know how to handle rejection in this biz
but door to door is one that is difficult type of rejection for some to deal with
and that's all I ment.

Runner
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Get back to us on the closing thing, too. Because if you are closing 9 out of 9 estimates, or even close to that, something is wrong (and I think we all know what that is). Other than THAT, getting 6 out of 30 calls, is about unbeatable. That is awesome. Personally, I wouldn't be using the term "mowing lawns", but that is just an individuals preference...it all depends on where you are in the industry. Anyway, good luck with it!

hillibilly
02-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Well I closed on all but 1, that one being a $35 yard. I am about to go see three more right now.

Also I am not pricing low(atleast I don't think so :confused: ) I got a $60, $50, two $35, a $30, and a little $20 yard(won't take but 30 min). The $60 yard also want me to mulch and area, but he will pay extra, and maybe see about pulling up some shrubs. So how do you give estimates on them? Thanks in advance! Off to try to make some more sells!:waving:

Runner
02-28-2006, 08:51 PM
It sounds like yu may have to do some research and find some more out about the costs of running a business....The $20 one, for instanmce, by the time you pull up, drop a trailer, and pull away, you figure in your materials, wear, and time, and you haven't made anything...you could make that working for someone else. You have to have a minimum. Now, I'm not saying this for the rest of them, because I don't know their size, or have NO ideas what kind if costs you're looking at down there. I CAN tell you this though,...You walk into a Subway, and buy 2 subs, and pops and you're lookin' at about 20 bucks. And they didn't have to drive to you to make them. If a carpet company came out and cleaned your living room rug (about 20 minutes), you'd be far fetched to find a company that would do it for 20 bucks.

hillibilly
02-28-2006, 09:31 PM
It sounds like yu may have to do some research and find some more out about the costs of running a business....The $20 one, for instanmce, by the time you pull up, drop a trailer, and pull away, you figure in your materials, wear, and time, and you haven't made anything...you could make that working for someone else. You have to have a minimum. Now, I'm not saying this for the rest of them, because I don't know their size, or have NO ideas what kind if costs you're looking at down there. I CAN tell you this though,...You walk into a Subway, and buy 2 subs, and pops and you're lookin' at about 20 bucks. And they didn't have to drive to you to make them. If a carpet company came out and cleaned your living room rug (about 20 minutes), you'd be far fetched to find a company that would do it for 20 bucks.

The only cost in this is about a gallon of gas. This yard is three houses down from mine so all I do is hop on the riding mower, hold onto the weedeater and go. This is the only one I can do this to though.

Splicer
02-28-2006, 10:02 PM
hillbilly you go boy!:weightlifter:

Really I don't know about the rest of these people but i for one think you are off to a great start my friend!:clapping:

Go get 'em tiger!:drinkup: :cool2:

befnme
02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
The only cost in this is about a gallon of gas. This yard is three houses down from mine so all I do is hop on the riding mower, hold onto the weedeater and go. This is the only one I can do this to though.

ok lets see
1gal gas 2.25
gas getting there ? 2.25
blade wear and tear ? 1.00
trimmer line ? 1.00
insurance ? 1.00
that alone is 7.50 dang you made a whole 12.50 not to mention your labor rate is what say , 25.00 per hour ? and you said it takes about 30 min right ?that is 12.50 so realy you went in the whole.

hillibilly
03-01-2006, 08:29 AM
ok lets see
1gal gas 2.25
gas getting there ? 2.25
blade wear and tear ? 1.00
trimmer line ? 1.00
insurance ? 1.00
that alone is 7.50 dang you made a whole 12.50 not to mention your labor rate is what say , 25.00 per hour ? and you said it takes about 30 min right ?that is 12.50 so realy you went in the whole.

That really puts it into perspective. But this is a old lady that I started mowing her yard about 4 years ago and can never bring it out in me to up the price. Plus she is my only yard that I had to re-close on after she thought her husband was going to do it. I went to estimate some more yards yesterday, 3, and two said they would call me(which I know is not likely) and got a pretty small yard with little weedeating for $45/wk.

P.S. Does anybody have any tips on estimating mulch jobs? I really need some help in that department.

befnme
03-01-2006, 08:02 PM
P.S. Does anybody have any tips on estimating mulch jobs? I really need some help in that department.

length x width x thickness = square yardage

i charge 45.00 per yard installed . but my mulch guy always gives me 3 yards for 2 yards so i make out .if you have a tightwad mulch guy that only gives 1 3/4 of a yard for 2 then you might want to charge a little more.

PaulJ
03-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi, I am the owner of Back to basics lawncare. I am out letting people know about my services. (hand them the flyer). When they take it. Thank you.

unless they engage you inconversation, more on.

perfect.
that's exactly what I was going to say. YOu get a chance to leave a professional image without being pushy.

easycareacres
03-01-2006, 11:16 PM
g'day im a hillbilly, ill mow ya lawn for a beer haaaa.

salandscape
03-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Try to engage them as much as possible in any kind of conversation, it doesn't have to be a pitch. Working as few services you can provide into a conversation about the weather is a nice soft sell. I find it can be effective to help the prospect identify with you and the company in the future. Any positive way they can recall you name is a help. Don't just try to blurt out as much as you can before taking a breath! You will get better after a few. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! You aren't going to pick up 30 new lawns off of a few flyers, but you will get some.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-01-2006, 11:26 PM
The thing to remember is that it is all a numbers game. You will find people that as soon as they open the door, and here what you have to say they are sold. They were already thinking about the service that you offer and you are there at the right time. Others will not want your services no matter what you are offering. It is not personal, they just do not need or want your services. Some people like the excercise. Some people like working outside. Some are trying to teach their kids good work ethics, and there could be a number of other reasons. It is difficult sometimes to hear "No", but remember there are going to be "Yes's" somewhere. After a while you will figure out that it takes an average of x number of doors to get x number of no's and x number of yes's. WIth this you will know that x number of no's to get to 1 yes. Ex. 10 NO's ='s 1 yes. As you go along door to door each No you hear look at it as if you are one no closer to yes. IT may only take you 5 no's for 1 and then 7 no's for the next. and 3 for the next, and 12 for the next, but it will all average out to a particular number. This way you can keep a positive mindset. Each person that says No is one door closer to Yes

Good Luck!