PDA

View Full Version : Fed back re : Encore power equipment

rrr
02-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Has anybody heard of Encore power equipment ?

I'm from Ontario and Encore is advertising WB & Zero turns for a decent price
for somebody just starting out like myself.

:canadaflag:

PGA
02-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Has anybody heard of Encore power equipment ?

I'm from Ontario and Encore is advertising WB & Zero turns for a decent price
for somebody just starting out like myself.

:canadaflag:

We run a ton of Encore down here. Thats all I have right now. Well priced and very easy to work on. They have made huge strides in the last 2 or 3 years on them and they are pretty good mowers. You will get a ton of use out them. Lots of commercial guys run them here in the midwest where Im at.

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 06:07 PM
I am from mid Atlantic and say they are a good mower but we have a terrible
distributor and dealer network.I had a horrible time even trying to get parts!
Stay away as far as possible!!!!

PGA
02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
I am from mid Atlantic and say they are a good mower but we have a terrible
distributor and dealer network.I had a horrible time even trying to get parts!
Stay away as far as possible!!!!

that sucks. My dealer bends over backwards for me. If I drop something off its fixed within within 24 hours AND he gives me a loaner.

old dog 80
02-25-2006, 07:37 PM
that sucks. My dealer bends over backwards for me. If I drop something off its fixed within within 24 hours AND he gives me a loaner.
They got a new distributor in my area and the dealer dropped the line like a hot potato.The distr. did not care.The company said it was up to the distr. So there
I was out in the cold with 2 36" wb,1 48" wb ,and a 52" Proline rider.
No parts,no service,no warrenty work.It lets a bitter taste in one's mouth!

PGA
02-25-2006, 07:41 PM
They got a new distributor in my area and the dealer dropped the line like a hot potato.The distr. did not care.The company said it was up to the distr. So there
I was out in the cold with 2 36" wb,1 48" wb ,and a 52" Proline rider.
No parts,no service,no warrenty work.It lets a bitter taste in one's mouth!

I cant blame you at all.

I have 3 dealers within 25 mins, 1 is within 15 and the other is about 5 blocks from me.

I had that problem with Bunton a few years back and I stopped buying them.

deereman
02-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Just wondering if anybody knows if Exmark and Encore are one in the same company, Encore being a spinoff from Exmark? They look close together. :confused: I think that they are both even made in Beatrice Neb. But not for sure.

PGA
02-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Just wondering if anybody knows if Exmark and Encore are one in the same company, Encore being a spinoff from Exmark? They look close together. :confused: I think that they are both even made in Beatrice Neb. But not for sure.

No. But I believe Toro owns Exmark. I may be wrong.

Green King
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Here in the area that I am in Encore is getting stronger and stronger. Dealer is the reason but reguardless encore is a good product.

extoro
02-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Encore use to be a player in the walk behind market - not real sure about that any more.

I know you don't see much Encore equipment on trailers. We demoed one of their Prowler outfront units, not bad but we weren't blown away by it. Haven't tried one of their midmounts.

mowergal
02-26-2006, 11:26 AM
A long time dealer friend of mine used to sell encore they were ok he had problems with distribor keeping the parts in stock so it was taking about a week because the factory weren't drop ship, that may have changed by now and I hope it has.

ProStreetCamaro
02-26-2006, 01:40 PM

The guy that designed the original lazers is the same guy that designed the Encore Z mowers.

GrassBustersLawn
02-26-2006, 04:35 PM

WRONG.

The guy that was a cofounder of Exmark (Dick Tegtmeier) sold his stake and started up Encore. Yes, they are both in Beatrice.

TORO bought (can't beat'em, buy'em) out Exmark 5 or6 years ago. My understanding is the sub assembly is the same on TOro & Exmark, then the production line splits and they do their own thing after that.

Mowingman
02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Encore machines, in the past, have been pretty low quality commercial machines. They are commercial grade, but just barely. The brand has never really taken off, probably due to poor distributors and distribution problems. I hear they have a pretty nice product now, but dealers are few and far between, except in a few parts of the country.
They have not been able to keep their factory busy, due to shrinking market share. To try and generate more business and keep their production lines busy, they have cut deals to build machines for other companies. Currently they are building walkbehinds and painting them yellow for Hustler. I believe they recently made a deal to build some ZTR's for Woods.
Encore as an independent company is not likely to survive. My guess is that someone will buy them out, and the Encore name will be gone in 5 or 10 years.

PGA
02-27-2006, 08:21 AM
Encore machines, in the past, have been pretty low quality commercial machines. They are commercial grade, but just barely. The brand has never really taken off, probably due to poor distributors and distribution problems. I hear they have a pretty nice product now, but dealers are few and far between, except in a few parts of the country.
They have not been able to keep their factory busy, due to shrinking market share. To try and generate more business and keep their production lines busy, they have cut deals to build machines for other companies. Currently they are building walkbehinds and painting them yellow for Hustler. I believe they recently made a deal to build some ZTR's for Woods.
Encore as an independent company is not likely to survive. My guess is that someone will buy them out, and the Encore name will be gone in 5 or 10 years.

I agree with some of that. About a decade ago Encore machines werent that good. They werent that durable and thats what alot of commercial guys were complaning about.

But when Dick Tegtmeier started in the late 80s he brought a ton of experience with him from designing EXmark and Kees. By the time the mid 90s rolled around there machines were as tough as anyones on the market. The one thing I like about them is the ease of maintenance.

You can replace a belt in under 3 mins. They have greaseless spindles and removable gas tanks and like any other WB or ZTR on the market a wide variety of engines.

To say they wont survive is wrong. THey have been on the market for almost 20 years and will continue to go strong here in the midwest. They might be a little smaller then most companies but thats just because they are still the only privately owned lawn mower company left. Which is pretty impressive because they sell in 23 different countries.

As far as doing work for Hustler and Woods....I doubt that and would need some proof to believe it.

If you are going to buy an Encore you'll be getting a great machine and like any other machine if you properly maintain it you will get years of good service out of it.

Green King
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Encore is building gear drive walks for hustler and everide. And they are from what I hear going to be building front cut machines for woods. However they are not the first company to do this. Take a look at country clipper who built mowers for bush hog and yazoo and snapper. Look at grasshopper who built mowers for woods. and hustler for landpride and yazoo for john deere and there are more I am sure.

PGA
02-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Is there a link to any of this?

Mowingman
02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
PGA,
I have sources in the industry that confirm that Encore is building the machines as stated. I believe it was reported and confirmed in posts here also.
There are still quite a few independent, privately held companies building commercial mowers.

PGA
02-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Thats fine. I talk to an Encore rep almost every week and he has never said anything about this. Maybe he just doesnt want to tell anyone. Thats why Im looking for an article on it.

old dog 80
02-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Dick Tegtmeier was a founding partner of Exmark .There were problems so
he started his own company,hence the name "encore".He is now retired or
at least semi-retired and his son,Doug now runs the company.I talked to Dick once in this whole deal and he was the only one who impressed me with
the attitude of wanting to help.But his hands were tied (or so I was told)
because of agreements with the distributor.

KLLawn
03-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Bravo Old Dog and Grassbusters! Your historical facts are quite correct. I had been researching ENCORE years ago, and was quite impressed with the outfit spawned from the durable EXMARK Co. 5 years ago, (before I bought one), it was THIS website and many members who outright said DO NOT BUY this machine. I bought it anyway. Inexpensive, easy to maintain and hefty, I have been cutting my own acreage for years. Beautiful working 12 hp B&S, trans and controls, I just won't give it up. If the new ones are even better, then maybe....