PDA

View Full Version : base compaction %

FIREMAN
04-19-2001, 10:03 PM
In the past I have kind of guessed as far as amounts of base material goes, using my charts for cu. yards as a guide. Is there any formula, table or guide as to the amount quarry proccess stone(3/4 with fines) will compact.??

Stonehenge
04-20-2001, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure what info you're looking for here...Do you want to know how compacted you want the stone when you're finished prepping the base? It's about 95% standard proctor density, but I don't have the tools to measure the compaction. Paul uses a spike, nails it into the base, determines approximate density by how difficult it is to penetrate the base.

Or are you looking for how much it'll compact when you first run a compactor over it? That can vary.

Or are you looking for how much stone to buy per sqft of pavement? Stone is sold here by the ton, I buy about 1 ton per 35 sqft. If it's a walkway, I order more (the amount of base extending beyond the pavement as a percentage of total paving area is larger for a walk).

FIREMAN
04-20-2001, 07:45 PM
I was refering to how much material to buy, say I need 4 or 5 inches for walkway...my intended question was how much will it compact..like if I put down 4 inches and compact will I end up with 2 inches or 3 inches after compaction.

Lanelle
04-20-2001, 07:59 PM
The amount of compaction depends on the make-up of the crushed stone. I called my local quarry to get that information which actually varied from what others had told me to expect. Large quarries have testing facilities and can supply the data you need.

lawnboy82
04-20-2001, 11:19 PM
i dont know about base compaction that much. you can do your bulk density and particle density and then compare. take a graduated cylinder and put in a known amount of a material. something like stone dust. put that in there and see how much you have. then get a dowel and ram that stuff down that cylinder. then look at where you are at. that is the best i could say for you to do. if you have big rock then i dont know what to tell you. but sand and stone dust and stuff shouldnt be a problem

Stonehenge
04-21-2001, 12:47 AM
If I remember correctly, Paul had said in a post somewhere that limestone weighs 165# per cubic foot. Whatever stone you plan to use, you can use similar information.

Find out the weight per cubic foot of the solid stone, figure out how many cubic feet the area is you're filling in, multiply them, and you'll have a pretty close figure. Sure, solid stone is more dense than crushed stone of the same volume, but it should be close. Then you won't have to worry about how much it compacts. You'll just know you have the right amount for your project.