PDA

View Full Version : Ford vs GM whats working these days and breaking?

Ramairfreak98ss
02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
I dont really like dodge stuff, i like how the newer 04/05 Rams look but just dont want their trans problems, dont like their interiors either. 06 or 03 etc.

Ill be looking for a very new or brand new truck end of this year to add to my 91 f150 i use now.

Main reason is pulling power, my 5.0 v8 gas just doesnt have much pullling a load especially when ill be pulling a 20' enclosed trailer.

Ive heard many many bad things about the 6.0 Powerstrokes in the 04s-06s, ive also heard people not like some 7.3L and use a lot of fuel, but had a lot of power. Im interested in an 05/06 F350 superduty extended cab, fx4 4x4 and a long bed. I really like the look of the 05s+. The 07s are supposed to be many months away yet so i probably cant take them into consideration even with the 6.4L twin turbo hype.

I would also consider a GM, the silverado i think is too pointy lookin in the front, the GMC Sierras i do like though. I think the GM interior is too luxury looking. I like the fancy gismos/electronics but i dont want leather, but seems every Sierra has bucket cadillac looking leather seats. I love the Superduty Ford cloth seats. If i picked up a used superduty with leather i would sell it and get the non-Lariat cloth grey/black colored seats.

It seems everyones raving about their 650lb/tq 6.6L turbo diesel now. If i could ask an unbiased opinion based on power ONLY or people that have chips or exhuast kits on them, i most likely would upgrade it anyway to get some more umph out of it. Are the 6.0L 570lb torque powerstrokes THAT slow as people talk about online? Ive never driven either keep in mind, my uncle has a 2003 i THINK it has the 7.3L in it though, im not sure, wont let me drive it either, hes just like that:dizzy:

ripple
02-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Duramax just cant be beat!

Guthrie&Co
02-25-2006, 06:53 PM
the older dodges has some tranny issues but it seems that now they have had that cleared up. the fords had some trouble with the early 6.0's but that too seems to be cleared. i have driven all 3 makes with the newer diesels and to be honest i like them all.but i did like the 6 speed better in the ford than in the dodge. the 6.0 is pretty quick, as well as the dodge. the dodge will get better fuel mileage and will turn a higher rpm at highway speeds. frankly i havent heard anyone say they any of the big3's diesels are slow

Ramairfreak98ss
02-25-2006, 07:49 PM
the older dodges has some tranny issues but it seems that now they have had that cleared up. the fords had some trouble with the early 6.0's but that too seems to be cleared. i have driven all 3 makes with the newer diesels and to be honest i like them all.but i did like the 6 speed better in the ford than in the dodge. the 6.0 is pretty quick, as well as the dodge. the dodge will get better fuel mileage and will turn a higher rpm at highway speeds. frankly i havent heard anyone say they any of the big3's diesels are slow

welll thanks for your opinions, yeah i cant think any 500+ tq deisel is slow, but im sure other guys are comparing 650lb tq duramaxes or modified to stock trucks or something. I would be looking at a F350 or 2500hd or 3500 non duallys with a diesel, upgrade to a full exhuast, something nice but not loud since its used for towing, a banks or edge kit and an intake of some sort. Id like to get larger tires at the very least maybe BFG all terrains in a larger/wider size even on stock rims is fine, the stock tires look like donuts on some of these newer monster sized trucks.

rider
02-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Get a chevy or gmc with the allison transmission, can't be beat. Ford makes a nice diesel, but their transmissions have problems. Plus the chevies sit lower, this is a plus when you are throwing stuff in the back. my two cents

UNISCAPER
02-25-2006, 08:01 PM
If you don't want to break, go GM. We are rid of every Ford we had and have not had one single issue in 60,000 miles. The bubble heads might beg to differ, because they can't see truth through the gas inside that bubble.

South Florida Lawns
02-25-2006, 08:06 PM
They are all good trucks.

I pull 4,000 lbs of trailer and lawn equipment with my V6 1/2 ton Silverado every day and never had any problems what so ever.

Other than being slow off the line and when merging/passing my Chevy has proved its self in terms of durability, and it gets the job done.

lawnmaniac883
02-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Between the two, I would pick the chevy/duramax. Just too many probs being reported with the 6.0 powerstroke. See for yourself on www.thedieselstop.com . Just to clear something up here, the auto trans in the dodge is actually a good tranny especially the 05/06 models. These have a tow/haul program and instead of locking out o/d, it adjusts shift points and locks the torque convertor in 3rd and 4th. Just some food for thought there.

Ramairfreak98ss
02-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Get a chevy or gmc with the allison transmission, can't be beat. Ford makes a nice diesel, but their transmissions have problems. Plus the chevies sit lower, this is a plus when you are throwing stuff in the back. my two cents

yeah i forgot to mention i was assuming the newest 6sp allison was by far the strongest consumer truck transmission? how is the 5 speed auto ford torqshift trans? Ive heard its a nice transmission but then others say now its a bad transmisson? bad as in problems at very low miles or doesnt last 100k miles etc? My 91 was purchased new by my dad years ago, he towed his heavy boat and camping trailers for years before at 152k the trans finally was mis shifting and studdering while in overdrive, shifts were sloshy etc. was rebuilt and works great now at 182k still. Im very mechanically handy, work on all my own cars but know very little about deisel engines yet i want one in the next truck, im just scared about repairs since the motors cost so much more than a gas engine.

meets1
02-25-2006, 10:17 PM
i am running all CHEVY's now. Had the fords, the dogde but always having tranny problems, rear end problems, or alway fixing on the engine - I couldn't afford the ford any longer. Now i have 5 chevy's - 2 gmc's hd and 3 chevy hd. 5th wheel pulling, landscape trailer pulling, snow plowing - beside tires, I did replace a fan clutch on our GMC but that has been it. Ask me again in a couple of years and tell ya how all the chevy's handled the long term test.

YardPro
02-26-2006, 10:16 AM
we have an 05 chevy 2500hd
I got it with the "work truck" package...

It has the fake leather seats... I would NEVER have cloth seats again... they rip, stain and smell..
After a hard day at work the cloth soaks up the " sweaty landscaper smell" and it is hard to ge out..

Same for cloth floors... never in a work truck..

my truck is very easy to keep clean, no matter how dirty i am when i gat in it.
as for the power... it is good. I pull a 14K gvw trailer with about 4k worth of stuff on it, and it tow's fine.... I also tow a dump trailer and have had 9K lbs in the 4k lb trailer (13k gvw)..
i knew it was back there, but it pulled it fine

Ramairfreak98ss
02-26-2006, 02:04 PM
we have an 05 chevy 2500hd
I got it with the "work truck" package...

It has the fake leather seats... I would NEVER have cloth seats again... they rip, stain and smell..
After a hard day at work the cloth soaks up the " sweaty landscaper smell" and it is hard to ge out..

Ive seen these in the fords too, but can you get the nicer seat style still with this or only leather and cloth? The vinyl or whatever looks like all benchseats.

Guthrie&Co
02-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Some guys will stand here and bash a ford all day long or until they are blue in the face. i have had them all and i hosently would be happy with all three like i said earlier. i have a ford nowand have not have any issues our of the tranny or engine. it has a 153k on her and she still runs strong and on the original equipment. except for the shocks and minor maintance stuff. still on the original balljoints and rodends, still on the original tranny, no problems out of the rearends and i pull alot of weight with her. last year i was tagged for 26k.so ford guys, dodge guys, and chevy guys say what you will but its been a good truck

Tyner Lawn Service
02-27-2006, 09:41 AM
If you don't want to break, go GM. We are rid of every Ford we had and have not had one single issue in 60,000 miles. The bubble heads might beg to differ, because they can't see truth through the gas inside that bubble.You should'nt have any issues in 60,000 miles no matter what brand these days.

UNISCAPER
02-27-2006, 09:55 AM
You should'nt have any issues in 60,000 miles no matter what brand these days.

Would you like me to list the people I know with Ford trucks who have broken under 15k?, under 10K, and under 600 miles?????? And you're absolutely right, with what any truck sells for, they owe you 200,000 trouble free miles. Ford can't get past their turbo charger and trqansmissions.

meets1
02-27-2006, 10:32 AM
I have chevy's but there are a lot of guys around here with fords cuz there #1 seller for the last x years, there built ford tough - but yet guys keep buying them. Just talked to another guy here this morning having breakfast.

He had a 4 door 3/4 tone short bed. Diesel, bought new in Sept of 05. It is an 06 model. He said he couldn't afford it it longer - he has replaced injectors, pump, turbo about everything on the truck. Ford stood behind it all but he traded and went to the gas engine - he said no way in H*&^ would he drive a chevy or even own a dodge - but yet look at his trouble.

We mow for a factory that makes and installs service bodies for all makes of trucks. They have the most problem with the ford 450 & 550's. They said everyone should use the chevy's - just better. They told me the fords are beefy 3/4 models. They are always getting complaints due to the engines, rear end, crank case, etc. It is all under warrenty most of the time but guys insist on owning a ford. The salesmen told they have a hard time selling the chevy truck in that class cuz people beleive ford is better, looks tougher, and that is what every one is driving.

They service the railroads, mining industry, lube trucks, even had a few trucks made for haveline engine oil for nascar.

Guthrie&Co
02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
You should'nt have any issues in 60,000 miles no matter what brand these days.

Would you like me to list the people I know with Ford trucks who have broken under 15k?, under 10K, and under 600 miles?????? And you're absolutely right, with what any truck sells for, they owe you 200,000 trouble free miles. Ford can't get past their turbo charger and trqansmissions.
Man i seems like every thread that comes up you talk about frod's turbos and trannys. other than the 6.0's problems i have never heard of a tranny issue of a turbo issue for that matter with the 7.3. i am going to call bull on this one.

UNISCAPER
02-27-2006, 11:43 AM
i have never heard of a tranny issue of a turbo issue for that matter with the 7.3.

Then you live in a cave. We loost 4 trannies on the 02 7.3, 3 trannies on the 01 7.3, 4 trannies on an 89 7.3.

Sold the last F-450 to a friend. He places it in his service by changing all oils to get it on his schedule, drives in the parking lot and low and behold, starts it back up, tranny goies blammy. I ended up splitting the $2,200 repair bill with him even though there was nothing wrong with it when he bought it.

His Ford dealer (he has 32 in his fleet) told both of us that the transmission in the Ford light/medium duty truck was always a problem, which at least helped ease his mind from thinking I sold him a bad truck from the start.

As said before, Ford trucks have cost us the most of any truck in the fleet. So, by eliminating them from the line up, we stopped the problem.

6'7 330
02-27-2006, 12:15 PM
We have 4500 Chevy's, a 5500 Chevy,3500 one ton Chevy's,GMC one ton, and a number of Chevy and GMC pickup's.They all have performed well.I have not been ecstatic about the gas mileage with the diesel's,but the trucks have been very reliable,no major malfunctions.

I don't know anything about Ford and Dodge,only what I read.I Have bought Chevy-GMC all my life,for two reasons
1-My father and four brothers all worked and retired from GM.
2-Chevy-GMC have always been good reliable tough trucks for me.

I, was tempted to buy a Ford over the winter for a plow truck, but with GM doing so poorly I just could not.Besides it would have been tantamount to family treason to buy a Ford lol.

Guthrie&Co
02-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry uniscaper i have been around diesels all of my life and i havnt heard of ford having that much trouble with their trucks. maybe with the trucks you have had but that has not been my experince with a ford.

Marek
02-27-2006, 03:52 PM
My 02 f 350 has 105k and is on its 3rd tranny and my 02 550 got its first tranny at 23k .Everyone else has been aware that this is the weakest link in these trucks.Personally for my new personal truck I'm ordering a 3500 with a Dmax. To me its not as good looking of a truck but what good does that do you when its sitting at the dealership all the time.Try going to thedieselstop.com you will see more than anyones share of problems.My dealer told me himself not to buy a 6.0.Sorry guys but facts are facts.I'm not trying to push the chevy part ,I have 4 Fords in the driveway but I'm going to give gm a try again.The last ones that I had were an 88 1500 that made it to 210k before I sold it with only one trans replaced and a 01 with the 6.2 that was one problem after another.

Guthrie&Co
02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I will admit i wouldn't mind having a dmax though. those chevys are nice trucks will the allison to boot. sounds like an awesome combo. I would like to see some john deere power plants in a pickup, talk about a bullet proof engine

Guthrie&Co
02-27-2006, 05:32 PM
I wonder how much of the tranny issues and turbo problems could be chalked up to driving style and maintance issues? I am not starting a war here but i would think that some of it could stem to that and i guess the rest would be a build problem.

Marek
02-27-2006, 06:53 PM
In the fords its a no win deal before the torq shift anyway.If you went with the 5 speed if you had various drivers you would eat up the sincros in the tranny or if you went with the auto then treat it like the tires every 40-60 thousand miles you'll be replacing it.Personally I love the look of the ford above the chevy but its time for something new.

efaubert1
02-28-2006, 09:36 AM
126,000 miles on 99 F Superduty 4x4 with 7.3 and 4r100. Tranny went south at 126k, and I will assure you I tow as much or more weight then the average guy. Tractors, Bobcats, Round bales, Horse trailer 36 weeks out of the year that weighs in just under 11k. Honestly, I think a lot of problems can be traced back to the maintenance and driving habits of those driving them. My last PSD was a 97 crew cab 4x4 with over 200K and NEVER lost a tranny. Personally won't own a 6.0. I'll give Uniscaper this one, but ALL TRUCK manufacturers have problems of one sort or another. And Uniscaper, maybe your employees just treat your trucks like s#!t and don't care. Ever thought of that one? You never did respond to my post awhile back where I countered you "number of warranty claims" with the actual number of FORD trucks sold. It was less than 2% of the total number. 12,000 don't mean dick when you sold a million of them.

UNISCAPER
02-28-2006, 08:11 PM
And Uniscaper, maybe your employees just treat your trucks like s#!t and don't care. Ever thought of that one? You never did respond to my post awhile back where I countered you "number of warranty claims" with the actual number of FORD trucks sold. It was less than 2% of the total number. 12,000 don't mean dick when you sold a million of them.

Same employees, different trucks, same terrain. Others here posted similar results and switched to GM because of the issues with Ford. Coincidence? I think not.

I'll repsond to you reply in due time. I have very little of it at present.

all ferris
02-28-2006, 08:59 PM
My 02 duramax has 70000 miles on it and it is going in on thursday to get a fuel knock problem looked at. This is the first problem I have had and I suspect that it is the injectors. GM must know that injectors are a problem because they sent me a note in the mail extending my warranty to 200000 miles on the injectors. Also, if you go to thedieselplace web site you will see that the biggest issue that the 1st generation duramaxes have is injectors. They are now on the 3rd generation duramax. I love mine (except for the fuel knock). The allison is bullet proof and I get excellent fuel mileage.

stroker51
02-28-2006, 09:32 PM
My experience with the Powerstrokes (mainly 1st generation, 94-97) is that the E40D, although not "bulletproof" in any respect, WILL last 200K plus if it is maintained. My uncle has 235K on his 97, and the truck has NEVER been opened up, no turbo problems, does need glow plugs, and injectors in future, no tranny problems, a friend of mine has a 96 with 260K, pulling on the farm, 25ft stock trailers, hay trailers, etc, we are talking major abuse, very little maintenance, only had his front end rebuilt in 260K, my former auto tech teacher has a 94, 230K, 5speed, only ate a clutch at 180K after we put in baby swamps performance injectors, 4 stage chip, etc., my 96 i have had since roughly 149K, 170K now, only complaints, glow plugs, had one CPS go south, and replaced starter, 5 spd as well (no problems with this). I think a lot has to do with proper maintenance, but there are a lot of other farmers I know who don't do a lot of this on their pickups and ride them over 200K. There is good and bad trucks of every make, my family has never had great luck with chevy's, Ford's have always lasted well for us, and no matter what anyone says, the PSD is a great diesel, if you are going to be doing heavy pulling with one, esp. the E40D equipped models, get the tranny rebuilt right when it goes south, not just rebuilt, but get a bulletproof one built, don't keep messing with the factory junk if you tear it up, same goes for clutches, beef it up a little. Sorry to ramble, but all this PSD bashing gets me riled up!:hammerhead:

efaubert1
03-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Heres a fact. The LARGEST FLEET of trucks in the world is owned by Halliburton. They buy Fords because the maintenance cost to keep them on the road is cheaper than GM fleet they had in years past. They do still "test" GM's and Dodges upon occasion to see if they should switch, and as of right now neither perform any better or cost less to maintain than their Fords. And they have them in some very abusive situations we will never put a truck in.

meets1
03-01-2006, 08:44 AM
The LARGEST FLEET of trucks in the world is owned by Halliburton. they have them in some very abusive situations we will never put a truck in.

I know the company cuz this plant we maintane have sold there truck boxes there. It is true about the cost of the ford. The compnay here says that is one reason why alot of BIG companies buy there 450 & 550 units vs the Chevy / GMC. I know - were talking about pickups but I enjoy the post, the bashing, but I have heard the above statement b/f as well.

Marek
03-01-2006, 10:59 AM
You can have problems with any brand ford chevy or dodge.It comes down to how the dealer/parent company stand behind thier product! I would also bet that this large fleet # is based off of the 7.3 which is a good long term motor.Also alot of fleets are based off of purchase price. Unfortunitly the 6.0 is another story.As for drivers taking care of trucks, good luck none of it is on thier dime dosnt matter what brand.As to some of you guys getting lots of miles out of trannies, maybe that has a lot to do with our stop and go driving here we dont have to run 70 miles to go to dinner or shopping or between jobs.We also plow with our trucks,between the heat and the constant forward to reverse they dont stand a chance.I'm not trying to bash the psd cause I have owned 8 of them.But like it or not Ford has gone down hill, and that is a shame!

SPLC
03-01-2006, 11:35 AM
For fleet vehicles, I would buy Chevy/GMC. Hands down, Duramax/Allison.

That aside, for my personal vehicle, I would never buy a GM truck. Why? The front suspension doesn't lend itself to being lifted easily. Independent suspension sucks off-road. Who wants to bust their can all day in a truck with 245 tires on it? Surely not me. That is where Ford and Dodge have had the market. You see WAY more Fords and Dodges modified than GM trucks. There is a reason for this. With SEMA becoming so popular, GM needs to buck up. From what I hear in '07 the fullsize trucks will have a SFA (solid front axle). This will be what the company has needed since they switched to independent suspension in the late 80's. Hopefully GM has gotten its head out of its behind. Now Toyota will begin producing fullsize diesel trucks. From what I've heard, these diesels will be hard to beat.

This from a person who grew up in Flint, MI and has been raised Chevy since I was born.

UNISCAPER
03-01-2006, 08:49 PM
There is also one thing not factored into the larger fleet. Prcie. Ford typically outsells GM (not last year) because they puch out cheaper (lessor cost) vehicles part for part. If Halburton got a million dollar savings buying say 200 units, you can't tell me for a minute their bean counters did not look long and hard at that.

efaubert1
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I want to clarify one thing here, once and for all. I like Ford Trucks, but in no way, shape or form do I believe them to be perfect. Nor do I believe Ford Motor Company to be the end all of automotive companies. In my opinion, opinion I say, Chevrolet stopped making trucks that lasted and carried their own wight worth a damn about 1989. And the Duramax is a great engine, as the Allison is a great ranny, but every 6.5 Turbo Diesel put into a GM truck sucks eggs and always will. The biggest thing that is holding Chevy back is the independent front suspension. It sucks, especially if you put a ploiw on the front. You loose ground clearance immediately just from the weight of the plow, not to mention when you hit a bump. On a Ford the body goes up and down, but the ground clearance remains the same. If all you are ever going to do is drive your truck on pavement, YEAH! Chevy will work fine. As for halliburton fleet costs, don't think for a minute GM can't match Fords discount pricing to them. It's all about LONG TERM costs. The short term can be matched with discounts, and I assure you they try. You see, my brother actually works for Halliburton, in a mangement position of which I envy his high 6 figure income, but then again I don't like the company, but I love my brother.

Az Gardener
03-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I have a 2000-F150 150-K Triton V-8 I am horrible about service work I once went 28-k between oil change. All I have done is replace brake pads (frequently) and a couple of actuators for the windows and door locks. This truck has gone from my sales vehicle, to supply, to service calls, to pulling a 12'-enclosed trailer for about two years. Now I have it back again, great truck. I also have two 03 chevys 2500 and S-10 w/V-6 they scare me lots of little crap back to the dealer for warranty work I am selling one this month and am looking for an out on the other. Ford has my vote.

LB1234
03-03-2006, 10:23 AM
2001 GMC 1500 extended cab, short box, 5.3 gas, bought new. At about 50-60k little things started going on it. Fuel gauge broke, rear handle broke off of tailgate, and a bunch of other really minor, annoying things. Traded in for an upgrade.

2002 GMC 2500HD crew cab, short box, 6L gas, bought new. At 37k miles the A/C went. Dealer said, nope can't fix it, it is 1000 miles over the 36. We were pissed off at that one. At about 80-85k we were noticing a real lack in power while towing. Cracked exhaust manifold, both sides. Just yesterday during the storm, fuel pump went, currectly has 93k miles. Oh ya, the windshield wiper motors went as well...wasn't that fun!! BTW, we had minor things go wrong with it as well, but it is too much to list.

2004 Chevy 2500HD, extended cab, short box, 8L gas, bought new. At 12k miles the whole dash instrument cluster needed to be replaced, under warranty. Drove to one chevy dealer said it would take a week to fix and he needed the car for that week. ARRGGHHH!!! Drove to dealer I purchased from, fixed in two days. 52k miles, allison tranny acting up. Doesn't want to engage in reverse. Turn truck off, let sit for a minute or so, it will go in reverse. The transmission shifting in the 30-50mph range will buck a little. This tranny job is pending, my trusted transmission guy informed me he has seen a lot of this before with the allison trans. He said the problem is if you go to chevy they say its detroit desiel and guess what, they say its chevy's problem. ARRGGGHHH!!!!

Let's just say I'm not overly impressed with GM in the least. Fact of the matter is, I can't stand any american car anymore. I've had/have jap automobiles with 200k miles on them and they are just fine, not one piece of major work. Granted they aren't towing/hauling what I do on a daily basis, but aren't these 'HD' trucks built for this kind of work?

I think its time to go with one of the cabovers, Isuzu, mits, hino. I dunno, we were at a expo yesterday, we are actually thinking about moving over to to the F450/550. I can tell you one thing, it won't be another GM truck, that is for sure. And all this isn't from opinion, its from my own personal experience.

I think I'm going to get a piece of plywood, paint it yellow, cut out the shape of a lemon and secure it to the stakepockets in my truck and just drivearound and I'll happen to brake down write in front of on of the big GM dealerships.

TJLANDS
03-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Just to throw in some info.My first landscape truck was a ford in 1988. I have had all GMC's since then(11 of them) until this year. No major problems with any of the GMC's. 4 of the trucks have over 150k on them and still running great. They pull trailers all year and snow plow when it snows. Have replaced several fuel pumps in the 2500hd's that is about it. Brake systems in the 2000 and newer trucks are awesome. My personal 2500hd 2000 year GMC had 105,000 miles on it when the pads were changed for the first time. My personal truck now is a 2005 2500hd extended cab. Bought a F350 this year to handle a Blizzard 810 plow so we will have something to compare. All the trucks are gas, 2000 and newer 6.0 vortec.
Heres a pic of some of them.