PDA

View Full Version : Need help diagnosing vibration/wheel shaking

keepoffthegrass
02-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi, I have an 01 chevy 1500HD 4x4. I just rotated the wheels yesturday. It developed a steering wheel shake at low speeds and a vibration in the steering wheel at higher 50mph + speeds. So far i have jacked up both sides and spun the tires by hand. I didnt see a noticable wooo in them. I rechecked all the lug nuts and they seem to be seated properly and center. nuts are torqued to 140 lbs.

What else could it be? I've been told a wheel bearing may be ging bad, ive been told a tire might not be balanced but that doesnt explain low speed shake in the wheel. Anyone have any input? Thanks

baddboygeorge
02-25-2006, 06:00 PM
it could be a number of things i had a truck that did that an guess what is was a slight bend in the rim . it could be a broken belt in the tire , a bad ball joint, a tie rod end that needs replacing , etc check that front end out real well. if ya need any help let me know thanks,,george

ripple
02-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Gm had a service bulletin for a steering shaft issue! Maybe take the truck to the dealer and get it fixed for free!

Restrorob
02-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Sounds like a split cord in a tire as George said, Especially if it started when you rotated the tires. I had this happen and It was hard to see the tire was not perfectly round, When I rotated them to the back the steering wheel quit shaking but I had a vibration on the rear. New tires was in order for mine.

specialtylc
02-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Well if you didnt have a problem before you rotated the tires, its obvious that the tire or rims are to blame.

sheshovel
02-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Out of balance

sheshovel
02-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Out of alignment

keepoffthegrass
02-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the help, I will rotate them back on monday and balance all of them while im in auto class. I will let yous know if it fixs the problem. I know it never vibrated on the back though so i hope it doesnt start. Thanks -------Korey

grass_cuttin_fool
02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
If you used an impact wrench, you may have warped a hub also, Im thinking that I torgue mine to 100 pounds and never had a problem.

wayne

keepoffthegrass
02-26-2006, 09:51 PM
If you used an impact wrench, you may have warped a hub also, Im thinking that I torgue mine to 100 pounds and never had a problem.

wayne

I originally torque them to 110 pounds with a regular 1/2" torque wrench but i looked up on the automotive service program we have at school and it says 140 lbs for the HD's so i then torqued them to that. only used the impact to take the nuts off. I have a feeling it is a broken cord in one of the front tires. will rotate them to the back tommorow and see.