PDA

View Full Version : What do you chage per hour?$$$

wglawncare
02-25-2006, 04:38 PM
I just raised my rates from $15/hour to $22/hour. A 50% increase. What are you guys charging? I think I am low, but compared to people in my area I's not that far off.

PGA
02-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Rates for what?

echovalley
02-25-2006, 04:51 PM
$48 per man hr

wglawncare
02-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I am talking for lawn cleanups, hedge trimming, leaf removal, ect.

rodfather
02-25-2006, 04:57 PM
$22 an hour? My employees make that much running a mower and $30 an hour to drive a snowplow truck...hello.

jtkplc
02-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Way too low, how are you able to make a profit? Unless are you unlike the rest of us and don't have any expenses...:confused:

Collin
02-25-2006, 05:57 PM
35 per hour min

PGA
02-25-2006, 05:58 PM
$60.00 per hour.

mulcahy mowing
02-25-2006, 06:14 PM
$50 min my guy gets 15 runnin a mower

Woody82986
02-25-2006, 06:19 PM
$50 or so... Right around that.

MysticLandscape
02-25-2006, 06:44 PM
$50 maybe alittle more

wglawncare
02-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Well I have over $10,000 in mowers, vehicles, trailers, trimmers, ect. Which is all paid for from last year. Pay about $5000 in insurance. And pay $10 to the guys I am working with. No workman's comp is involved because they are independent/sub-contractors. Maybe you guys should be looking at how you can make more per hour after subtracting out your costs, i don't no? I cant see charging $50/hour. I do seaweed cleanup for lakefront properties which involves a pitchfork, wheel-barrel, and some muscle to do. I can see maybe charging that much if I had a small tractor with a bucket on the front, or a gator to haul it to the street. But how does that hourly work out for you? A job that would take me 4 hours at 22/hour would be $80, and at 50/hour it would be $200!

jtkplc
02-25-2006, 07:31 PM
I do a condo complex that takes me 8 hours to do solo. I get $432 a cut which is $54 an hour. I average about $32 per residential lawn that I cut and I'm there for about 25-35 minutes. So that's around $55-60 an hour. I could do it for less, but why would I want to? I guess it's all about how much profit you want to make. I could have bidded it at $20 an hour and gotten it, but my profit wouldn't be very high.

The other company I work for pays mower operators $16 an hour and trimmer/blower guys $10 an hour. How can you pay for expenses and still make enough profit if you're only charging $22 an hour? It just doesn't make sense to me. If it works for you that's great, but I just can't see it.

TJLANDS
02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=wglawncare] And pay $10 to the guys I am working with. No workman's comp is involved because they are independent/sub-contractors. QUOTE]
If I could hire a full(1099) sub for $10 a hour I would, in fact I would hire a dozen of them but I don't live in fantasyland.
Sorry for the pun but I couldn't resist.(Rodney Dangerfield movie was on )

richallseasons
02-25-2006, 07:44 PM
$65.00 per hour or more depending

palawnman
02-25-2006, 07:52 PM
At $22/hour you are selling yourself short, I wouldnt go out for anything less than $45/hour. Depending on the work and the equipment to be used, it can go up to $85/hour. Also if you add it all up, you say a job that takes 4 hours @$22/hour equals $88, but you must have had to load up in the beginning of the day and then unload, plus drive time, I would think just for that you would have to add an extra 2 hours to your day. So that days work for 6 hours makes you $88, hopefully you would do that yourself, because if you had your employee do that I think he makes $10/hour, your net profit on that job is now $28 because you paid him around $60. Hopefully you dont have any overhead at all. Even if that is the case I wouldnt want that $28 of profit, it would be more of a waste of time. Thats just my .02

Oh by the way "A job that would take me 4 hours at 22/hour would be $80, and at 50/hour it would be $200!" You might want to double check your numbers, but 4 hours at $22 should make $88 not $80.

Ron

LwnmwrMan22
02-25-2006, 08:03 PM
I average about $75 / hour.

lafrance4078
02-25-2006, 09:10 PM
$45.00/hour plus each piece of equip. has an hourly charge for it. ie trimmer/7.00/hour $65/hour for big mowers including labor.

B&D Lawn Care
02-25-2006, 10:29 PM
I try to shoot for 40.00 an hour. It covers all expenses. Luckily everything is paid for.

wglawncare
02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
I accidentally his the 0 instead of the 8. Sorry for that. I dont see how I am not making anything. I mean I know you guys are out there, making a living, and im only doing it for a job or part time job, since I am 16. Maybe that why I dont see a problem with the numbers I am charging, and you guys need to be higher up there in price to pay your other bills and for your family.

Kickin Your Grass
02-25-2006, 11:59 PM
I accidentally his the 0 instead of the 8. Sorry for that. I dont see how I am not making anything. I mean I know you guys are out there, making a living, and im only doing it for a job or part time job, since I am 16. Maybe that why I dont see a problem with the numbers I am charging, and you guys need to be higher up there in price to pay your other bills and for your family.

16................... ?

lawnagent
02-26-2006, 12:00 AM
After doing my best math, MY cost is $22 an hour. So if I charge 30 an hour I only get 8 of it. I charge 35 to 40 per man hour.

I will also clarify that, unfortunatly for me, I live in a VERY opressed area. Should I choose to drive to the other side of the next county I could easily come close to doubling my rates.

Kickin Your Grass
02-26-2006, 12:00 AM

:sleeping:

samk
02-26-2006, 01:18 AM
You need to stop charging your customers by the hour. How in the world do you charge 22.0 an hour and pay people 10.00hr to help you. You make 2.00 an hour? 10,000.00 in equipment is not alot when this includes your wheels mowers and trailer. So I would assume you will be buying more equipment. At 2.00 an hour I dont know how will be able to buy lunch. All areas are different in money terms but 22.00 an hour with workers. You need to figure your jobs in man hrs so if it take you and another guy two hrs to complete the job thas actually 4 man hrs at say 40.00 an hr thats 160.00 for the job. Pay your worker his 20 to 30 bucks and the rest is yours. In My area of the country I can avg 60 to 70 an hr at the end of the year

grassyfras
02-26-2006, 03:22 AM
When i was 16 i was getting at least 30 more like 40

ALarsh
02-26-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm 16 and getting $55 per hour. If I wanted to I could work for $22/ hour, but why would I leave $33 per hour on the table? I know for a fact that $55 per hour is VERY resonable in southeastern WI. I could go up to $60-65 pretty easily, and plan it do it this coming year. Where are you working?

lawns90
02-26-2006, 09:34 AM
If a person has their car fixed they pay 50 hr or more. When you have to get a mower fixed it is 50 hr or more. carpenters, plumbers electricians, don,t they offer a service and people pay their rate. As professional landscapers we need to raise the standards of the industry. We are not pushing mowers we are skilled tradesmen. We should be payed like it!!

LwnmwrMan22
02-26-2006, 10:10 AM
If a person has their car fixed they pay 50 hr or more. When you have to get a mower fixed it is 50 hr or more. carpenters, plumbers electricians, don,t they offer a service and people pay their rate. As professional landscapers we need to raise the standards of the industry. We are not pushing mowers we are skilled tradesmen. We should be payed like it!!

My shop just went to $75 / hour.

There's two ways to going about this.

1. Keep everything new and under warranty, then it doesn't matter if something breaks.

2. Keep charging more than the shop is charging, so you can keep mowing and making money.

If you're charging LESS than the shop is charging, then you're losing money.

If you fix your own equipment so you don't have to worry about what the shop is charging, then you have to have all the tools, plus the time.

I get more than the shop is charging, so I can afford to have them fix the equipment. IMO, I'm better off keeping working, and making money, rather than trying to fix something major with the mower and being down for 2-3 days.

rodfather
02-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I get more than the shop is charging, so I can afford to have them fix the equipment. IMO, I'm better off keeping working, and making money, rather than trying to fix something major with the mower and being down for 2-3 days.

exactly...plus the fact it will probably take me longer to fix something and who knows if I do it right as well?

lawnsbyrj
02-26-2006, 10:45 AM
I get any where from $35 to $65 per man hr but I know which aeras will tolerate which price range. when I get a full crew busy enough to work 5 day instead of 4 then we will bump to wein out the bad ones. I easily get by on 35 per man hr but those at $65 i like them real good

wglawncare
02-26-2006, 11:02 AM
In my area, Twin Lakes, WI, is my exact location, there is nobody around charging that amount per hour for leave cleanups, seaweed cleanup, trimming hedges ect. All you guys are in totally different parts of the country. The guys that do charge that much are the ones on the mowers. I know one of my competition very closely and he charges $85/hour on his Z. But that is not the case when doing other jobs. He is at $25/hour. If I went up to what you guys are telling me to go to I would lose all my jobs and have to sit on my hands. The going rate is $25/hour. I am sitting here at 22/hour getting my foot in the door. I do not have a problem with missing the $3/hour because my overhead is not as high as everyone elses. If someone can clarify why I should lose all my customers, I would to here it.

walker-talker
02-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I know one of my competition very closely and he charges $85/hour on his Z. But that is not the case when doing other jobs. He is at $25/hour. If that is the case, it's a no brainer.....get a Z!!!

jtkplc
02-26-2006, 11:55 AM
In my area, Twin Lakes, WI, is my exact location, there is nobody around charging that amount per hour for leave cleanups, seaweed cleanup, trimming hedges ect. All you guys are in totally different parts of the country. The guys that do charge that much are the ones on the mowers. I know one of my competition very closely and he charges $85/hour on his Z. But that is not the case when doing other jobs. He is at $25/hour. If I went up to what you guys are telling me to go to I would lose all my jobs and have to sit on my hands. The going rate is $25/hour. I am sitting here at 22/hour getting my foot in the door. I do not have a problem with missing the $3/hour because my overhead is not as high as everyone elses. If someone can clarify why I should lose all my customers, I would to here it.

Just a few years ago, I'm 19 now, I had somewhat the same idea as that. The sooner you learn to charge what you should be getting and not charging enough to keep your foot in the door, the better off you will be in the future. There is no way you can continue on in this business after you have your own place, all the lovely expenses of life, and kids and keep your head above water at $22 an hour. Maybe for other services, but not for mowing. You simply are not making enough money. You have to start asking more for your services.

What kind of equipment are you running, I don't think you've mentioned that or anything about the accounts you have?

wglawncare
02-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I have a 54" WB Deere
36" Toro Proline
L110 Riding Deere
40" Ariens Z
2 24" Push Mowers
95% of my accounts are lakefront owners. The biggest one I have is about 22,000 sq. ft.
The rest are on an average of 10,000. I figure my prices based on square footage and other obstacles on the lawn. This has served me well so far. I will probably be getting about 5 more accounts in the 20,000 range. Overall I have approx 30 lawn accounts, and 40 accounts that I do seaweed removal, leaves, ect.

jtkplc
02-26-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a 54" WB Deere
36" Toro Proline
L110 Riding Deere
40" Ariens Z
2 24" Push Mowers
95% of my accounts are lakefront owners. The biggest one I have is about 22,000 sq. ft.
The rest are on an average of 10,000. I figure my prices based on square footage and other obstacles on the lawn. This has served me well so far. I will probably be getting about 5 more accounts in the 20,000 range. Overall I have approx 30 lawn accounts, and 40 accounts that I do seaweed removal, leaves, ect.

How long do these places take to mow? Are these square footage measurements the property size or the actual amount of cutting that is done?

FL&G
02-26-2006, 03:52 PM
How do you pay your bills? You really need to sit down and figure out exactly how much money you need to make per hour in order to break even, and then go from there. Add up all of your expenses,, everything from gas to grass. and keep dividing until you get a cost per hour. Your $22.00 per hr. may be reasonable or miserably low. If your not making a profit why bother?

GrassBustersLawn
02-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Well I have over $10,000 in mowers, vehicles, trailers, trimmers, ect. Which is all paid for from last year. Pay about $5000 in insurance. And pay $10 to the guys I am working with. No workman's comp is involved because they are independent/sub-contractors. Maybe you guys should be looking at how you can make more per hour after subtracting out your costs, i don't no? I cant see charging $50/hour. I do seaweed cleanup for lakefront properties which involves a pitchfork, wheel-barrel, and some muscle to do. I can see maybe charging that much if I had a small tractor with a bucket on the front, or a gator to haul it to the street. But how does that hourly work out for you? A job that would take me 4 hours at 22/hour would be $80, and at 50/hour it would be $200!

I know you are 16 & KNOW EVERYTHING, BUT ARE YOU SURE THEY ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS???? Do they meet the IRS's very SPECIFIC definition of an IC??? (I seriously DOUBT IT.) Do you send them a 1099 at the end of the year?? Are you EMANCIPATED? How can you have INSURANCE at 16 years old, when you CANNOT LEGALLY SIGN A CONTRACT??? Does your AUTO insurance KNOW you are using your vehicle for BUSINESS??? (Because if they don't and you have an at-fault accident they will DENY COVERAGE.) Just a few things for you to think about.

Secondly, I can see how you might have customer resistance charging higher rates. I would think that most of your clients would think $22 per hour is more than enough for a high school kid with no expenses. HOWEVER, your local competition might look at you as a LOW-BALLER.

Mike

mulcahy mowing
02-26-2006, 04:17 PM
i'm in high school and charge $50 an hour. why charge less when that lowers the bar? i would rather make more.

wglawncare
02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
I am $3 below the average for the services in my area. THIS IS NOT A RATE FOR THE MOWING I DO. I do the area of the entire property for my estimating by the sq foot. I have looked into my states defintion of the independent contractors and have met all the criteria. All of the guys working with me have their own equipment, make their own schedules, bill me, and are given a 10-99 at the end of the year. In the state of Wisconsin a minor can be the member of an LLC, which is what I have for my business, as long as the organizer of that LLC is of majority age, which my parents happen to be. With this the LLC is covered for the liability everything is covered. I am able to sign contracts now because of being the sole member of the LLC, even tho I am only 16. I have talked to my attourney, parents attourney and he has done his homework on this subject along with me and everthing here is legal to do. I did not intend to come off as a know-it-all. I just knew the facts that I have learned and was trying to convey them to you. I hope this clarifys what your questions were. Thanks and I hope to have some more eduacational conversations with you on this subject.

down size
02-27-2006, 05:35 AM
I don't know that 22 an hr. can make you any money. Things must be cheeper in your area. How much is gas,oil,tires? My company has to make 47.50 per hour just to break even. If you pay 5000. in insurance a year thats 625. a month for 8 months(working season) thats 20.83 a day 2.60 an hr. on a 8 hr. day now your making 19.40 an hr.And that doesn't include gas,oil,wear n tear on truck,trailor,mowers,blades,paper for billing a computer plus you making an hourly rate. I would set down and make a list,cost of everything. You will probably find your not doing as well as you think. Good luck (Hope this will help)

LwnmwrMan22
02-27-2006, 06:06 AM
wglawncare -

what everyone is trying to say, is pass on the yards where you're only making $22 / hour. If someone is that picky, it's not worth doing to the work.

You're better off doing work for $50-60 / hour + with machines. That's why you buy equipment.

80% of people that run LCO's would charge double for hand raking over running a machine, because you're right, it does get the thatch out more, and does get 100% of the leaves. However, if someone is going to be that meticulous about the job, they are going to pay for it.

qualitylawnmanagement
02-27-2006, 06:38 AM
Add up what your exspensive's are, and that will tell you how much you need to charge and hour.

Two dixie choppers run me $16.00 to have and $4.70 to run them, then add fuel for the truck and then helpers. It all adds up. I'm right at $57.00 this year next year it will be around $65.00 or even $70.00 to run my business.

qualitylawnmanagement
02-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Add up what your expensive's are, and that will tell you how much you need to charge and hour.

Two dixie choppers run me $16.00 to have and $4.70 to run them, then add fuel for the truck and then helpers. It all adds up. I'm right at $57.00 this year next year it will be around $65.00 or even $70.00 to run my business.

petekief
02-27-2006, 10:02 AM
i don't charge by the hour but have to charge enough to make 45 to 60 when on sight as a part time solo op for it to be worth leaving home. if you could be mowing and making 45 to 60 why would you take a labor only job for 22. thats the deffinition of oportunity cost. it would cost me or it's costing you 23 to 38 dollars an hour to take on that job at that price. turn it down or charge what you could get doing other work. they will pay you what your time is worth or you will be free to do other yards at a good scale.

wglawncare
02-27-2006, 05:07 PM
There are mor opportunities out there for work other than mowing. I offder many more services than the other companies around and hope once I do one service for them, and they see how hard I work they will change me over to their lawn also. This has been the case in 90% of the accounts I do. I do some small work and it turns into much much more.

Precision Lawns
02-27-2006, 07:04 PM
50-60 per man hour.

OutdoorExtras
02-27-2006, 08:01 PM
WGLAWNCARE,

Even if you lost half of your customers by increasing your rate from 22-$50.00 per hour you would still be bringing in the same amount of money. You would also have less to pay out in maintenance, wages, depreciation, less billing, less everything! You would make more with less work. Listen to the guys on here, $22.00 per man hour is not nearly enough!

HighGrass
02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I am talking for lawn cleanups, hedge trimming, leaf removal, ect.

50.00/hr unless it envolves something that consumes gasoline. The it's more.

ptimealltime
02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
the average is 32 dollars an hour according to walker

Kilroy
02-27-2006, 08:45 PM
...since I am 16...It would have helped had you provided this bit of info in your original post. Being 16 and all that entails, you're probably doing well at $22 per hour. Good luck with it.

wglawncare
02-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Kilroy.
OutdoorExtras- If I brought my prices up to $50/hour I would lose all my work. Not half, but EVERYTHING. Everyone on here is in there own area, and charges the prices according to that specific area. They all stay competitive in their area, I am doing the same in mine.

Triple R
02-27-2006, 09:25 PM

Some are just pushing mowers. Most make what they are worth and some make more than what they are worth. The trades you listed above require licensing or certification to prove they know what they're doing. How much skill does it actually take to do yard work that the average homeowner can do themselves but chose to hire someone instead. On the other hand if we talk about landscape managment thats where you better know more than the average lawn guy. The kid is only sixteen and likely doesn't have the knowledge that more experienced LCO's do, so he is getting paid for physical labor not his knowlege of turf.

elshauno
02-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Download lawn accounts software and fill out all your expenses and it will tell you how much an hour your expenses are based on a 40 hour week dont forget gas and depreciating expense on your truck Charge 30 to 35 then you have to make a living somehow

wglawncare
02-27-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd like to disagree with you there but I can't. I have done extensive research on tons of turf subjects, but nothing is a better education that work experience. I could study books for a year and wouldnt get even close the right knowledge I would learn from a month of working.

down size
02-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Does your sub contractors have thier own insurance? You said you had 30 mowing accounts how much do you charge per cut?(on a average)

wglawncare
02-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes they do, and they were not happy about it. On average of $30/lawn. This past year here in SE Wisc. We were in such a drought. At one point in the summer a couple lawns I stopped cutting for a month, it was that bad. I hope this year we get some good rain to get each of those lawns dut each week.

nelbuts
02-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Well WGLAWNCARE thought you might like to know something.
If you hire subcontactors and ....
instruct them how to do the job
pay any of their expenses
supply any equipment for them to use
fail to supply them with a 1099

Then you are in fact an employer and are subject to all federal with holdings and workers comp. If just one of these "sub contractors" decide to report you then you have a serious problem. I suggest you do just a little research on the independent contractor laws on the IRS website.

jtkplc
02-27-2006, 10:26 PM
After re-reading this entire post and putting a few things together, this is what I came up with. You average $30 a lawn and you charged $15 per hour in the past. That's 2 hours for your largest lawn of 22,000 sq/ft. To me, right there is your problem. Lawns of that size I do in 30 minutes. You need to charge $30 for the lawn, but do it faster, which inturns makes your rates higher. I think you're right, if you raised your rates to what we're talking about then you would lose it all. I wouldn't expect my customers to pay $60 for an average size residential lawn. I think your problem might be in your productivity.

wglawncare
02-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Nelbuts, where do you get saying I do not do any of those things. Making assumptions on no information. Read this post. You will find that I either stated it here or on another that I pay absolutely no costs for my subs, they own all of their own equipment, send them a 10-99 at the end of the year, and they bill me. I do not tell them what they make and they tell me what hours they are going to work and decide that for themselves. Please either read, or if you have reread and do not state facts that are not true.

wglawncare
02-27-2006, 10:44 PM
My biggest lawn, the 22,000, is $45, and it takes me approximately an hour to complete this lawn. This equals out to $45/hour for lawn mowing. After cardfeully looking at my lawns for what I charge and how long it takes, I average $40 to $45 per hour on the mowing. I will try to be more productive this year on my mowings.

Kilroy
02-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks Kilroy.You're welcome, I guess. I hope you don't think what I wrote was a slam because it wasn't meant to be. If you're 16 years old and making $22 an hour in this business, good for you. When I was 16 years old, I made $2.00 an hour, and it was good money then. And if you're 16 years old, paying business licensing fees and taxes, liability insurance, vehicle insurance, workman's comp insurance, income tax, self-employment tax, buying/maintaining all of your equipment, and all the other expenses that go along with this business, at $22 per hour, even more power to you. I salute you:clapping:, and I mean that sincerely.

OutdoorExtras
02-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Edited..Posted on wrong thread..

ffemt1271
02-27-2006, 11:04 PM
$40 per man hour

nograss
02-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Interesting. To pay as sub contractors they have to have their own mowers and equip. or the IRS considers them employees. To qualify you have to give them the jobs and say "Go cut" etc. any other instruction is considered employee status.

nograss
02-28-2006, 12:12 AM
I know why it's so cheap up there gas is 50 cents a gallon. and he is living in the 60's. There is no way in this green earth you can make a living on $22.00 an hr and own any equipment. Just like someone said before, your stuff breaks down you're going to have to pay $55. an hr to have them fixed.

METRO 36
02-28-2006, 01:10 AM
35 man hour but there all close sometime's i price by the job. one stop i have 5 lawn's 20.00 a pop i can do them all in abought an hour 80.00 an hour not bad. but im not alway's that lucky lol. wish i was though.

wglawncare
02-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Tennesse is where you live, Wisconsin is where I live. 2 DIFFERENT AREAS, 2 DIFFERENT PRICES.

Flex-Deck
02-28-2006, 07:51 PM
I charge $100 per hr for me, and $60 per hr. for the wife.

cantoo
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Seems to me there are several trains of thought here.
1. You need to know your exact costs before you can know what you need to charge.
2. It doesn't matter want you charge just make sure you leave no money on the table. I guess this means charge the same as everyone else around you.
3. Charge what the market will bear.
4. Charge whatever you think the customer can afford.
5. Charge more than the customer can afford and then sit at home shining your mowers.

We try to charge what we think the customer can afford and what we need to profit. We have a few that some may say are priced too low and a few that some might say are too high ( not possible) We also do about as many as we want so this year we cancelled service on a few pita's.

grassyfras
02-28-2006, 09:29 PM
I think Cantoo said it best. Theres differnt ways but basiccly know your numbers and know what you want to make on a job. Beaware what the local guys are charging and price yourself around them.

Coumbe
02-28-2006, 10:26 PM
we charge 30

RICHIE K
03-01-2006, 12:23 PM
$65.00 PER HOUR

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :usflag:

YGWBill
03-01-2006, 04:35 PM
we charge 42.50 per man for labor and do mowing per lawn min 45.00 and we can not charge less like kids do. I have equipment and shop, house to pay for.

natuworks
03-01-2006, 06:57 PM
These are my profile...

Business Days in 1 month +- = 22.5 Days mon-fri
10 Hours Working Day
225 Hours Month (total)
Monthly Expense (estimate) $7,000.00 / 225
Expense Details: $31.11 per hour
Rental, Fuel, Utilities,
Machines Maintenance,
Office Supplies,
Telephones,