PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall Systems

drsogr
02-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Is there much difference between the retaining wall systems or is it just personal preference?

I went to a versa-loc conference awhile back, they showed us how to install their products, how everything worked, gave us a complete book of info. It was great. The problem is the nearest supplier is 120 miles away. We have the pavestone and the belgard, but they seam to be low grade in my mind. Mainly due to the fact that you can buy them at lowes and home depot.

One of the local suppliers provides rockwood. Which seams to be what everyone uses around here. Do they make a good product? Do they offer support? I want to start building "real" retaining walls, but I want to buy from a company that offers support and stand behind their products.

UNISCAPER
02-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Most wall products are dictated by the engineers spec on the blueprint. Each wall system is engineered for a specific purpose, and, there are some wall systems that work beter on specialty applications than others.

Given you are in Kansas, I'm betting that you won't need alot of ability to hold high grounds as we have here. Many walls we install reach 20' plus, others are set in slope sides.

drsogr
02-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Most of our walls around here are 3' at the highest. Yeah we don't have any major walls. I don't want to do anything that requires engineering. I just want to use a product that will withstand the test of time and that is easy to use.

voeg
02-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Kansas Building Products on south Hoover in Wichita has the retaining wall blocks like the big boys use. I have used their block for two different walls around my home. I used the six inch tall blocks, at seventy five pounds each the eight inch ones just sounded like to much work.

YardPro
02-26-2006, 08:25 PM
belgard is not sold at lowe's.. thier sister product is though..oldcastle

oldcastle owns belgard. and keystone...

drsogr
02-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Kansas Building Products on south Hoover in Wichita has the retaining wall blocks like the big boys use. I have used their block for two different walls around my home. I used the six inch tall blocks, at seventy five pounds each the eight inch ones just sounded like to much work.

That is the rockwood brand. I was definitely planning on using the 6" tall blocks. Did you find that the blocks were easy to use? I noticed that it said to feel behind and inside the block with aggregate...is that supposed to be compacted, or just the soild behind it.

If you have to compact the aggregate in the block how does that work?

Where did you find the aggregate for the base and the wall...is it common? I have never really tried to use it. My retaining wall experience is limited to lowes retaining walls.

voeg
02-27-2006, 07:40 PM
drsogr,
If you want PM me with your phone # and I will call you. If you want I will have you over to look at the walls I built, and show you the rock I filled in with and anything else I might help you with.

drsogr
02-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks....I sent you a pm.

CAG
02-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I would first make sure that your supplier will split up pallets, some in my area wont. If you are not doing a lot of walls/walks you don't want to come up short and find out you have to buy a another whole pallet. Also I would try to pick a supplier that keeps a lot of stones in stock, because I find it to always be a good idea to bring and show them a sample of the exact stone they picked before delivery. Then make sure that the delivery guys they have working for them are detailed oriented. (examples they don't put the pavers on top of the wall stones, they know the difference between the right and left side of the house/ driveway, and they don't give a copy of the receipt to the customer if they come out. Just stupid stuff that will give you a bad case of the mondays quick lol.. So IMO most of the systems will work good for your application's just pick a good supplier, but stay away from those cheap brands at home depot.

JTHutch
02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I was going to start using the rockwood also. The closest dealer is in wichita if you use it let me know how you like it. I've just been using pave stone or oldcalstle for now. But want to get better and more decorative rock wall systems. Rockwood has a website don't know it off the top of my head but could google it I've been there and looks like a good product.

drsogr
02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I have seen the rockwood website and the info. I stopped by voeg's house today to see the ones he has built. I have also noticed that this product is used consistantly in the Wichita Area. I plan on giving this a try in May on a house that wants 2 - 25 ft. long retaining walls. If you like you could come up and help me, we could learn together?! I too have used the lowes and home depot products. I believe there is a little bit more work with the rockwood system, but it is a much higher quality product.

Doug Z.
03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Up here, I can think of about 10 different types of block that is sold locally. I chose Rockwood. Part of it is preference, but part of it is I think they have an excellent product, and Ive found that, atleast up here, there support is great. I actually buy them from a Brick place, but, on a couple of occasions, ive had to do some weird jobs, or confussing bids, and they have no problems sending out a rep from Rockwood. I did a huge job on the river out here, and the rep would stop out once and a while to see how things are going.. And, the rep has to come from 100miles away.
I do think there are other brands that i think are just as good, but i dont know if they have the same support.