PDA

View Full Version : Short story

Mr. Magpie
02-25-2006, 09:23 PM
What are your thoughts on this occurrence in my business?

Scored a new account in my best area in town. Lawn maint, some clean up/hedges, landscape opportunities, minor roof repair on the side all from this dude. Was real happy and anticipating our first visit.

Well, Aside from the details which make this story very unique, I was fired before I did any work because a rapist moved into a house a couple blocks away from this guys house and me being in his backyard scarred his daughter and the babysitter, who called the police and mom and dad. He said I should have knocked on the door and introduced myself upon arrival before working. I was wondering why, if his family was so on edge, he didn't warn his family that he changed services and ordered some backyard clean-up....... go figure, you can't win them all. I guess I had legal right to be on his property, but didn't have the social right to be there. He has a point, but damn, that's a first for me.

Fantasy Lawns
02-25-2006, 09:31 PM
He's an idiot

Ssoo the baby sitter would have open the door to a "complete stranger"

Be sure to send Einstein a bill fore your time while you were there

promower
02-25-2006, 10:23 PM
You would think they would feel more safe with you doing work there to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. After all YOUR NOT THE RAPIST THE NEIGHBOR IS! The whole situation makes zero sense

S man
02-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Real short story.

Jason Rose
02-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Because all rapists show up in broad daylight with a rake and hedge trimmers... lol

Sucks you got fired though. I never go to the door and announce that I'm there unless it is a situation where i need to ask them something. most of the time i never know if anyone is home or not...

S man
02-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Because all rapists show up in broad daylight with a rake and hedge trimmers... lol

Sucks you got fired though. I never go to the door and announce that I'm there unless it is a situation where i need to ask them something. most of the time i never know if anyone is home or not...

Good point on the subject.

captken
02-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Maybe you are too white trash for them.

captken
02-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Well, Aside from the details which make this story very unique

Well, what is the [hole] story?

grassyfras
02-26-2006, 03:19 AM
Bill Them.......................

ICE
02-26-2006, 10:00 AM
That just sucks! Oh well!

Runner
02-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Just another case of someone being paranoid. If you don't mind, may I ask something? And you don't have to answer this...Would you happen to be black or Mexican? That would add to it all the more...Some people in today's society are just ignorant like that. It's odd, isn't it. Every DAY we hear of all these black guys killing other black guys (The leading cause of death of a black male between the ages of 8 and 25 in the U.S. is homocide), and yet, whenever we hear the stories of all the people going in and butchering every person in the whole house, it always seems to be a white person. Also, all these freak crimes, where the kid murders his mom and dad, or his whole family...those are always white, too.

gslawncare
02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Why not live up to your new reputation, you rapitst.
sounds like this guy really didnt want you there in the first place.
Maybe he needed to save money, maybe his neighbor hired another guy and the rapist story was an easy way to let you go.

green thum
02-26-2006, 12:18 PM
LMAO!!!!! A rapist shoes up with hedge trimmers and a rake ha!!!!!AND the baby sitter opened the door.....Maybe you need to tell einstein about his brilliant baby sitter and damn right i'd bill him.I never go to the door unless i need something,just like the post above me alot of times i never know if they are home or not.jusy my .02 good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Magpie
02-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, what is the [hole] story?
Too long to dictate.... let's just say it wasn't meant to be. Lots of variables pulling against me on this one, all of which I had really no control over.

Mr. Magpie
02-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Just another case of someone being paranoid. If you don't mind, may I ask something? And you don't have to answer this...Would you happen to be black or Mexican? That would add to it all the more...Some people in today's society are just ignorant like that. It's odd, isn't it. Every DAY we hear of all these black guys killing other black guys (The leading cause of death of a black male between the ages of 8 and 25 in the U.S. is homocide), and yet, whenever we hear the stories of all the people going in and butchering every person in the whole house, it always seems to be a white person. Also, all these freak crimes, where the kid murders his mom and dad, or his whole family...those are always white, too.
I am the most professional looking lawn guy you'll ever see, a sharp looking white boy to be exact. Yeah, paranoid is an understatement here. But, I don't blame this guy, or his daughter. There were no visible equipment in sight being in the backyard with a machete, my bro stopped to play with the dogs, we were parked across the street at another property of ours, ect the list of reasons for them to be paranoid was truly numerous. Whatever, just proves how many ways a lawn guy can get fired for something he has no control over.

sheshovel
02-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Well for one we don't usually refer to our customers as "Dudes" for two it it only polite to let the people in the house know you are there to work on the yard especialy on the 1st visit.I will knock on the door and say"I just wanted to let you know I am here to do some work so&so hired me to do".

LwnmwrMan22
02-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I am the most professional looking lawn guy you'll ever see, a sharp looking white boy to be exact. Yeah, paranoid is an understatement here. But, I don't blame this guy, or his daughter. There were no visible equipment in sight being in the backyard with a machete, my bro stopped to play with the dogs, we were parked across the street at another property of ours, ect the list of reasons for them to be paranoid was truly numerous. Whatever, just proves how many ways a lawn guy can get fired for something he has no control over.

You know.... when I did residential, if I had the mowers, we'd always just start mowing. People would hear that, and they would know the lawn guy is outside.

If it's something quiet we were doing, like bush trimming with clippers, and not a motor, or if we were going to go around the house for an estimate, I'd always let people know I was there.

You don't know, maybe the people in the house had just gotten out of the shower, standing in front of the window, and here they think you're a peeping tom??????

Just like when I haul firewood. I've got customers that I've delivered to for many years, but I don't just start wheeling wood around the back of their house and start stacking, I let them know I'm there first.

I know I'm suspicious as soon as someone pulls in the drive, I'd be upset too if someone was just walking around, even with "tools of the trade". You don't know what people'll do anymore to make it look like they're supposed to be when they're not.

Maybe I have a little more insight since my wife is an RN in a level 4 prison here in MN. I suppose I could start a new thread in the off topic forum of some of the stories she's been told.........

GrassBustersLawn
02-26-2006, 04:20 PM
MAGPIE Said: I guess I had legal right to be on his property,

My contract (service agreement) specifically states they give "Grass Busters or their agents permission to be on your property as needed." That takes all the "guessing" out of it. Also, if you'd had a contract you could BILL him for WASTING YOUR TIME and have a LEGAL leg to stand on to actually COLLECT it!

Gotta cover your @SS because we definitely run into WHACK JOBS like that one from time to time!

Mike