PDA

View Full Version : lawnboy wheels? any help?

fga
02-25-2006, 11:20 PM
i've been using the same lawnboys day in and day out, for going on 8 seasons now. my wheels are literrally falling apart. mine are so beat up right now, i can't get an accurate measurement.:dancing:

are the front and back different sizes?
8 x 1.5 & 6 x 1.5 ??

or are those for 2 different classes of LB's? i'm running commercial mowers, model year 1999-2000

newz7151
02-25-2006, 11:23 PM
if you take your model numbers to a Toro dealer, they should be able to get the correct wheels for you. I wasn't really sure of your question though.

fga
02-25-2006, 11:33 PM
if you take your model numbers to a Toro dealer, they should be able to get the correct wheels for you. I wasn't really sure of your question though.
sorry, i mean,
do i have to order both sizes for one mower,
or is it one or the other? and if it is only one size... 8" or 6"

i removed half of them over the winter, so i don't have half of them aymore... and the rubber was pretty beat.

when you measure a wheel on a push mower, do you include the rubber, or just the rim? there's about 2 inches of rubber, so it can be way off if i'm wrong.

Jason Rose
02-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Lawn Boy wheels should be all the same sizes from 1970ish to today... Only thing that changed was they went from slick tires to treaded tires around 1990 when Toro bought Lawnboy. Of course your comercial will have the metal rims with ball bearings.

J-thomas has both in their catalog, Even in orange like the originals with grease zerks. 6 x 1.5 for the fronts and 8 x 1.5 for the backs.

fga
02-26-2006, 12:04 AM
J-thomas has both in their catalog, Even in orange like the originals with grease zerks. 6 x 1.5 for the fronts and 8 x 1.5 for the backs.
thanks, that 's what i was looking for. i wasn't sure if there was two different sizes for the front and rear

1MajorTom
02-26-2006, 12:14 AM
that's simply amazing. I actually read this 3 times to see if I read it right. We replace tires every year, sometimes the tread will literally be falling off. :eek:
8 years, WOW.

fga
02-26-2006, 12:36 AM
that's simply amazing. I actually read this 3 times to see if I read it right. We replace tires every year, sometimes the tread will literally be falling off. :eek:
8 years, WOW.
Jodi, you use commercial lawnboys also? with the orange tires? like these, and wear them out? yearly:dizzy: :
http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/d8/09/9a_2.JPG

i will get a picture tomorrow. they are in bad shape. one tire, the center of the tread fell out, so it looks like it belongs on a train track:) . they were bad, "but not bad enough".. that's a quote of mine.
but i'm not exaggerating in the slightest. ths will be our 8 season with these mowers, which are our primary mowers, and this is the first time i am replacing wheels. LAWNBOY!!
. i bought a 48" wb 2 years ago, but it 's rarely used.. maybe 4 accounts a week out of 100 or so.

1MajorTom
02-26-2006, 12:44 AM
oh no, I really do believe you. I wasn't doubting you on that, i'm just amazed. Yes we have both, the commerical and the silver series, and i have seen tires that are just slicks, other tires with the tread flapping off...... strange i know.

fga
02-26-2006, 12:53 AM
oh no, I really do believe you. I wasn't doubting you on that, i'm just amazed. Yes we have both, the commerical and the silver series, and i have seen tires that are just slicks, other tires with the tread flapping off...... strange i know.
on the other hand... another person might have replaced them sooner. i like to REALLY get my moneys worth in this business.
my bags on the mowers, forget it. the zippers broke on the after market bags about a week after purchase. so i cut a piece of sprinker hose (hard black hose type), and sliced it down the long way. so for the last 2 years, my guys have used this to slide over the zipper in its place. quick fix, and works like a charm.. actually easier in some spots in emptying a full bag.
i just bought some bags this week... my guys are going to think i hit the lotto:cool2:

how long do you get out of the bags? side chute or rear? i can get about 3 years, if i'm lucky... patching them up.:waving:

1MajorTom
02-26-2006, 01:19 AM
believe me, we are definitely on the same page about getting our money's worth. we have like a skeleton yard of ravaged lawnboys that we strip for any useable part that we may need. ya, about three years on rear bags, and that's pushing it.

Roger
02-26-2006, 08:31 AM
I have had two LB self-propelled mowers for the past eight seasons. The rear drive wheels are the most vulnerable part of the whole mower (well -- the ground drive cable ranks high on the list too!). I rarely get an entire season from one set of drive wheels. I always keep two or four extra drive wheels in the shop.

This topic is one of those that remains a mystery to me. With so many years of experience by LB with these mowers, and the VERY high replacement rate, nothing ever changes. Making the plastic inside part orange or grey does not change the way the rubber wears.

I have looked for third-party replacements. Last season, I found a Stens wheel that worked, but didn't fit quite right. The offset wasn't quite right, and the clearance between the inside of the wheel and the debris guard over the gears was a little short. I did run them and did get better wear from the rubber. The main part of the wheel was steel, not plastic like LB. However, in due time, the hub broke loose from the disc portion of the wheel and they were useless. The rubber did last much longer, but in the end, the total wheel was no better.

Apparently, LB has determined that replacement wheels are a great source of income, hence no reason to make them any better. An annual review of parts being sold must show very high incidents of wheel sales. It should send a flag, but maybe it is not the kind of flag I like ($$$ ----> LB/Toro).

I think the same can be said for the ground drive cable. It always breaks at the Z-joint at the handle -- usually after about 400-500 lawns. I have made my share of replacements of these cables, at about $15 per, but found a better solultion. When the last one broke, I used an old shoe string from a worn out work boot. I tied the shoe string to the end of the cable, strung it through the hole in the handle assembly a couple of wraps. This has lasted more than three times longer than a new cable, and does not look like failure is soon. The advantage of the shoe string is it provides flexibility and does not put a sharp bending point on the braided cable. Maybe this will help somebody else out. Hopefully, I have bought my last ground drive cable, but expect to continue to buy new drive wheels.