PDA

View Full Version : New Snappers

S man
02-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Check these out. I wouldn't buy one. I've seen snapper make this type of mower before like the rp200 or something I had and couldn't fix it. It was a cheaply built machine. I would love to see how long they last. The disc transmission is the real snapper drive system.

Jason Rose
02-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Check these out. I wouldn't buy one. I've seen snapper make this type of mower before like the rp200 or something I had and couldn't fix it. It was a cheaply built machine. I would love to see how long they last. The disc transmission is the real snapper drive system.

check what out? A link please!

Az Gardener
02-26-2006, 12:03 AM
I was just in my service center today complaining about my JD that threw some bearings after 180 hrs. They told me to live with it because they were still the best available in their opinion. They sell ariens and toro too, they called them both junk. I did'nt associate the aeriens with snapper. I am going to do a search next time I'm needing another 21" see what the rest of the heard thinks.

S man
02-26-2006, 01:00 AM
I was just in my service center today complaining about my JD that threw some bearings after 180 hrs. They told me to live with it because they were still the best available in their opinion. They sell ariens and toro too, they called them both junk. I did'nt associate the aeriens with snapper. I am going to do a search next time I'm needing another 21" see what the rest of the heard thinks.

ariens and snapper are good mowers. What wrong with your dealer????

S man
02-26-2006, 01:03 AM
check what out? A link please!

http://snapper.com/easy_line.html

Jason Rose
02-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Ok, I saw one of those at the dealers the other day... I looked it over actually since it looked odd. If i recall it said it was a variable drive, but with that hokey drive lever on the handle it just looks cheap. Snapper already had quite a few models to choose from, not sure why they needed more...

impactlandscaping
02-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Ok, I saw one of those at the dealers the other day... I looked it over actually since it looked odd. If i recall it said it was a variable drive, but with that hokey drive lever on the handle it just looks cheap. Snapper already had quite a few models to choose from, not sure why they needed more...

Because they have a new retail homeowner line debuting at your local Sears and / or K Mart in about 2 weeks..They tried it once with Wal Mart a few years ago, and you'd think they would have learned from their mistakes. The Snappers I have owned over the years have been top notch mowers. Matter of fact, I still have one of my first ones from 1985..lol. I hope Ariens knows what they are doing...:hammerhead:

saw man
02-26-2006, 05:05 AM
It is a homeowner model! Not close to comm. grade, so why are you complaining?

mowergal
02-26-2006, 12:08 PM
the new snapper push mower has been cheapen up to try to get the box store people to buy from the dealer. Snapper and simpicity have been bought by Briggs 2 years ago. The disc drive is still in the rear engine rider, and tractors are made by simpilicity with snapper's name on them. Briggs also owns Ferris!

mowergal
02-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Ariens was bought out by gravely about 4 years ago. So now I don't know what they are doing.

South Florida Lawns
02-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Not commercial.

But to be honest I have a 2000 home owner snapper 21'' that has held up well over the years.

What can I say they make a good little mower.

However mine looks a lot beefier than their current mowers that you posted.

pcguy
02-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I'd be willing to bet that mower is made by MTD. That is the exact same drive system used on Yard Man and Cub Cadet 21inch mowers.

ThirdDay
02-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Ariens was bought out by gravely about 4 years ago. So now I don't know what they are doing.

Actually Ariens bought out Gravely and it's been a while now. Gravely has gone downhill since the purchase.

SamTheLawnMan
02-26-2006, 03:53 PM
I have been buying Snapper 21" mowers for years. For the most part they have held up good. Until the one I bought from the local wally-world about 3 years ago.. I bought it as a backup mower because of the price.. I got the mower w/bagger for $300 as a display model. (brand new never used)
This one for some reason started having problems after one season. The mower was only used for one summer on my own small lawn. only about 20hours on the motor when it smoked and burned oil pretty bad. But since then I bought another one and had no problems so far.....

shop22
02-26-2006, 08:22 PM
The Snapper is NOT made by mtd. I promise you that. We are a snapper dealer. The drive system however is the same drive that mtd bought from a company. Only difference is that mtd redesigned it to make it cheaper, but Snapper did not change anything. Thats why they look simliar. Our rep brought out one of the transmissions for us to look at, all metal and brass gears inside. Should hold up ok for homeowner use. Snapper needed a little cheaper sp mower to try to compete with the mass merchant machines. Most consumers only buy price and they look no deeper into the machine than that.

flman
02-26-2006, 08:55 PM
:)QUOTE=shop22]The Snapper is NOT made by mtd. I promise you that. We are a snapper dealer. The drive system however is the same drive that mtd bought from a company. Only difference is that mtd redesigned it to make it cheaper, but Snapper did not change anything. Thats why they look simliar. Our rep brought out one of the transmissions for us to look at, all metal and brass gears inside. Should hold up ok for homeowner use. Snapper needed a little cheaper sp mower to try to compete with the mass merchant machines. Most consumers only buy price and they look no deeper into the machine than that.[/QUOTE]

Well said. All snapper is doing is giving the customer a better value and price. It's $20.00 less than last years promo model and is three in one. Anyone that has been associated with owning a Snapper traditional mower can feel secure that they are still made in georgia:usflag: even if briggs owns them they don't have any plans on changing quality or construction to date. But you never know.:nono: The Emirates will own six ports now anything can happen,hell look at the crappy J.D.'s at LOWES AND THE DEPOT:hammerhead:

S man
02-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Okay. Let's sum it up.

Easy speed models- Real snappers
Easy line models- Cheap snappers

http://snapper.com/walkbehind_mowers.html

Jason Rose
02-26-2006, 11:46 PM
I just love all the extra crap on the handle... all that sticks out as you can see to catch of trees and fences!

Also I wonder if their rear discharge models are the same deck design as the older JetVac ones? They were black... I have one that I need a catcher for and I can't locate one! They sure look similar...

The mechanic at my dealer told me that the JetVac was the worst mower snapper ever made, and it was a high end mower! The drive system is even more complex in design than a regular snapper, same disk drive, just more moving parts!