PDA

View Full Version : eXmark or Toro Lazer Z's????

Mow N GO 06
02-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Ok, here the the big debate in our area that has Landscape Pros in a battle. I am in the market for a true Commercial Z and the choice is down to eXmark and Toro. Looking at 60" Z with 27HP Kohler. The eXmark is roughly $900.00 more than the Toro. Is it worth the difference?

mulcahy mowing
02-25-2006, 11:08 PM
yes toro and eXmark are the same company but eXmak is a little better built bolth are good but eXmark is best.

samk
02-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Go with the Toro with the Turbo force deck. Though the exmark is still a nice machine if you go that route.

drumbo
02-26-2006, 01:28 AM
Toro acquired an already successful Exmark company for a reason. Guess what it was...Exmark is to Toro as Lexus is to Toyota....

OutdoorExtras
02-26-2006, 02:27 AM
Other than the deck design they ARE THE SAME MACHINE! Same hydros, same motors, same wheels, other than a few cosmetics everything is the same. IMHO here is the difference. Toro's deck is capable of cutting in wet conditions without leaving massive clumps of grass; although the cut quality is not quite as impressive. Exmark's deck leaves more definite lines and in ideal conditions is a better choice, but how often do we have ideal cutting conditions? I've used both on a daily basis and chose the Toro over the exmark, but in reality you really can't go wrong with either machine.

Billz
02-26-2006, 02:33 AM
go to the exmark dealer and tell them the price quoted from Toro, ask if they can match it.

Jake's Lawn Service
02-26-2006, 08:20 AM
I got an exmark and I love it. You can't beat the Ultracut or Triton decks.

lawn masters 2006
02-26-2006, 08:54 AM
exmark an toros are made at the same company..an same line they roll off of...just a cpl differant things on them are diffarent

ALarsh
02-26-2006, 09:02 AM
yes toro and eXmark are the same company but eXmak is a little better built bolth are good but eXmark is best.
Have you owned a new toro and a new exmark? :dizzy: :hammerhead:

You can't go wrong with either machines. They are both great.

TLS
02-26-2006, 09:47 AM
The decks are obvious.

But I heard that all Toro models were using thicker steel in the tube frames?

Just like the eXmark XS uses thicker steel than the standard Lazers.

If this is true, then there IS a difference if your comparing a standard Lazer Z to a Toro Z.

topdog
02-26-2006, 09:54 AM
i have an 05 xmark 31hp / 60 deck.

i recommend the 31 hp you will love the power!

Envy Lawn Service
02-26-2006, 10:05 AM
The decks are obvious.

If this is true, then there IS a difference if your comparing a standard Lazer Z to a Toro Z.

Well, if you look on any eXmark or Toro ZTR you'll find they have a two piece frame that bolts together in the middle. You have the power frame and the deck carrier frame.

When you look at the two, it is easy to see the Toro has a heavier frame.

lawn masters 2006
02-26-2006, 10:43 AM
i think u pay for exmarks name...an besides the two i owned were junk,an i bought them new

i buy snapper mowers now....

Envy Lawn Service
02-26-2006, 11:29 AM
i think u pay for exmarks name...an besides the two i owned were junk,an i bought them new

i buy snapper mowers now....

OK, I can agree to a degree that you do pay for the name.
Here you'll pay more for the eXmark name than Toro.
I find this strange for two reasons...
1) Toro is much more popular and established here.
2) Obviously the materials to build the Toro cost more.

But whoa, now... I can't disagree with you more about the quality of the build.
It may not be the best design available, but eXmark is a quality piece.
It sure as heck ain't junk by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe you did have problems with both of yours. But I think it might be more correct if you said the two you owned were problematic or lemons. Then you could explain the problems you had.

I have no doubt spoken my peace about a few things in regards to the eXmarks. But never have I went as far as to try to put them down like that. I think they are a good, tight, precision built piece of equipment that is smooth as silk (except the ride) mechanically sound, reliable, and good for commercial and/or fleet use. My only gripes have been that for the money I just feel that the design of some of them could be a little better thought out for performance, long life and user friendliness.

No other complaints from me and no other problems.
These mowers are miles ahead of the majority of the others....

As for the Snappers, the newer ones look to be nice machines. I also think all the other MFG's could use to take notes from Snapper on how they install their ZTR hydro systems. EVERYONE else could use to implement some of Snapper's design into their systems...

South Florida Lawns
02-26-2006, 12:15 PM
The decks are obvious.

Same machine same build quality.

However the new Triton deck is supposed to be great.

I don't know of anyone that has or used one but there has been a lot of technology that wen't into the design of it.

Mow N GO 06
02-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Based on what I am getting from the majority here, it seems that eXmark and Toro are both preferred mowers. A close examination of each decks makes the eXmark seem like the better choice. The Toro deck looks like a baby compared to the new Triton deck. What is wandering about was the difference in price...$900.00. Will it pay off later? Have demoed both, and the hydro pumps/wheel motors in the eXmark feel better and not as noisy and whiney as the Toro. Does that mean anything?

Oh, to the one guy who mentioned showing the quote to the eXmark dealer. I did, he couldnt budge anymore...I got him from 1400. to 900.

jtkplc
02-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't think Toro can compete with Exmark when it comes to the power of the Vanguard engines on the XS's. I think Exmark gives a better cut, also.

I'm with Topdog, the 60" 31HP XS is an absolute beast.

John Gamba
02-26-2006, 03:14 PM
It shure is :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Tonyr
02-26-2006, 04:26 PM
yeah but John ol' mate, the grass is meant to be under the deck, not on top of it! geeeesh! ha ha ha ha ha

The ol' exmark verses toro debate has been hashed out here many times, as I've said before, the exmark is similar to the toro, but they are not the same, the frames are in fact different. the exmark I was checking over beside my toro was different anyway.....similar yes, but not quite the same.

I owned an '04 Z588E toro with 60'' turbo force deck, this mower did from lawns to bush hogging, the thing was awesome.

I can't comment on the new exmarks, I have demoed a ultracut against a turbo force same day, same area.....I think the turbo force was better.
this was a paddock, not a nice lawn though!

what ever you get, it will be good, both excellent brands producing top notch mowers these days.

as always said here, only way to know is demo, the mower has to suit you, not members of this forum.

John Gamba
02-26-2006, 04:33 PM
yeah but John ol' mate, the grass is meant to be under the deck, not on top of it! geeeesh! ha ha ha ha ha

Hay Mate :drinkup:

OutdoorExtras
02-26-2006, 04:38 PM
IMO 31 horsepower on a 60" machine is like buying a F350 diesel to tow a jet ski. :laugh: If a lawn is cut on a regular basis you just do not need that much power; it's just an added expense in both purchase price as well as fuel.

Another difference between the Exmark decks and the Toro SFS(or their new adjustable deck) is the distance that the clippings are thrown. It may sound like an advantage to propel the clippings as far as possible, but unless you are cutting in wide open areas they often just end up in beds and on paved surfaces(making clean up a real pain). Try getting a demo of both machines and see which one you prefer.

John Gamba
02-26-2006, 04:42 PM
IMO 31 horsepower on a 60" machine is like buying a F350 diesel to tow a jet ski. :laugh: If a lawn is cut on a regular basis you just do not need that much power; it's just an added expense in both purchase price as well as fuel.

Come on out where i am in the spring, you will change your tune.:headphones:

Freshcut Lawn Care
02-26-2006, 04:47 PM
We use Exmarks and we like them very much!

We do take quite good care of our machines, and I think this helps tremendously.

Either brand sound like they will serve you well, as long as you take care of them!

jtkplc
02-26-2006, 05:18 PM

Have you ever used one to know? The thing that 31HP will allow you to do is cut off 4-6" of growth at 8-10 MPH without loosing RPM's and still delivering a great cut.

OutdoorExtras
02-26-2006, 05:36 PM
I've run the 27hp models and have never had a problem with the machine bogging down at cutting speeds. Obviously if you are cutting excessive growth it may be useful, but cutting on a weekly basis (even in the spring) I can not recall ever needing any more power than 27 horsepower. No matter what the HP rating double cutting is normally needed in those conditions just to eliminate the extra material.

Envy Lawn Service
02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
I didn't know we were discussing the 31hp since Toro doesn't offer that one.
So you can't compare there.

Also there is a pretty steep price increase for that 31hp and the rest you get with the XS package.

But you'll never catch me knocking extra horsepower, that's for sure.
As long as it is sensible price wise, I'll take the extra power.
More power makes for more efficent operation, so long as it is not way overboard.
31hp on a 60" is not overboard in my opinion.

Tonyr
02-26-2006, 06:29 PM
even a 31hp diesel on a 60'' deck is no overkill.....sounds it, but you's be surprised, the more horses ya got the more you will use, nature of the beast lol.