PDA

View Full Version : Z cutting technique advice

Simply Green Lawn Care
02-26-2006, 02:15 AM
This is my first year in the lawncare business and I would like some advice on turning techniques for my Z.

I use a 2005 Kubota ZDPRO 28hp diesel 60". The problem I have is when I turn. I tear up the grass from time to time .

I'm fortunate because I own about 11 acres and I can practice. The problem is when I operate on client lawns.

What can I do to minimize/eliminate this problem?

Suggestions please!

Thanks,

Bo

"All that is complex is not useful and all that is useful is simple".

drumbo
02-26-2006, 02:27 AM
I would suggest not stopping one tire. If you can work at keeping them both moving, it will avert the "ripping" on the turns.

For example, as you slow down at the end of a run, you can:
Come to a complete stop and then back up and rotate for your new run.
OR
You can slow to a crawl on one tire and turn a little faster on the outside.
OR
You can come to a complete stop and then move levers in opposite direction to cause a "0" turn.

I have found that using these techniques (varies by lawn layout & grass), I have been able to steal business from competitors who leave the little circles from their ripping.

captken
02-26-2006, 03:30 AM
And make use of the search feature to access the Archive for more information.

OutdoorExtras
02-26-2006, 03:32 AM
3 point turns!:) Forward with the right, back with the left and then forward with the right again. Just reverse it to turn the other direction. The key is to not "twist" one of the tires while turning.

Another idea is swap out the back tires with a set of "Turfmates" as opposed to the heavy deep tread tires that come stock. The turfmates won't last as long (about one season), but will not tear up the lawns half as badly as those rototillers than most mowers come with.

captken
02-26-2006, 04:12 AM
It this a [daddy bought] business?
Where in Tn. are you located?
How old are you?
What is your motivation for entering this business?
What did you do before deciding on this venture?
The reason I ask, is because most people not buy the type of equipment you mention and then not have a clue on how to operate it.
kenny

gslawncare
02-26-2006, 04:16 AM
Just tell em its part of the design

Ha Ha

Littleriver1
02-26-2006, 08:44 AM
How old are you?
The reason I ask, is because most people not buy the type of equipment you mention and then not have a clue on how to operate it.
kenny
Now, are we not lucky to have you around to protect us from intruders. How many fingers do you use when you wave to your competition when your meet them on the street?

Jpocket
02-26-2006, 08:51 AM
How old are you?
kenny

GEEZ...maybe the guy had some $$$ to play with, everybody not poor ya know.

lawnmaniac883
02-26-2006, 09:35 AM
3 point turns...I rarely make a 0 point turn nowadays, rips the turf to pieces.

sikagrass
02-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Im new at using a Z too and hope to hear some pointers also. It sure will do some damage if done wrong. First thing I learned is slow down and think of what the tires are doing. Awesome to watch the productivity of those who have it figured out,but im sure everybody had turf booboo problems at first.Great pointers listed so far.

clydesdale
02-26-2006, 10:34 AM
There is definetly technique involved. I test drove my friends tiger cub in the fall when my parents lawn was damp. It ripped it up even when i was trying to be careful. I have been using a walk behind for 17 years and i dont live with my parents. I cut their lawn the way most sons do. So i am not a rookie and I had some issues. I got the hang of the 3 point turn. But, the lot was a half acre with obstacles, so i had to turn often. I needed practice. I too would love to hear the driving techniques of the experienced.

mulcahy mowing
02-26-2006, 10:35 AM
I did. Just spend some time on your z and think real hard about witch way the wheels are moving. try to keep all the wheels moving. This wont be easy to do it takes some time just keep trying.

Littleriver1
02-26-2006, 11:16 AM
I found it better to do the actual turning when the mower is going backwards. aka 3 point turn. Also change the direction you mow each week so you are not always truning around at the same spot. That way if you do make a mistake the turf will have a chance grow and avoid a bare spot. You should cut in 4 direction, not in circles and change directions weekly. This will help to avoid rutts and turf from laying over on its side. The grass will lay over from the tires but it will return to skyward in a short time. The best looking lawn is the one in the Scotts comercial with no tire tracts. Wish I could do that.

jtkplc
02-26-2006, 01:03 PM
It's all about counter rotating those tires, baby :cool2:

Simply Green Lawn Care
02-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks to everyone for their feedback! I will practice and continue to "pick the brains" of those with more experience.

Thanks again.

Bo