PDA

View Full Version : Work for Girlfriends Mother

Adam3669
02-26-2006, 01:23 PM
My girlfriends mother asked me to Aerate their lawn and do a Spring Cleanup.

My normal hourly rate for spring clean up is 35$ and hour. I was thinking about giving her a discount of 25/hr because she makes all my business cards for me and helps me ALOT with this business. Is this ok to do?

Also, does 35/hr seem a little low to you?
Thanks, Adam

B&D Lawn Care
02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Do you pay her for the favors? If so then no I wouldn't cut her
any slack but if she scratches your back then go for it. Once you start cutting deals in this business is when you start getting screwed.

PMLAWN
02-26-2006, 02:08 PM
How to treat the "Mother in Law"
I guess she holds the bigger hand,
Best answer,--Yes, anything she wants:laugh: :laugh:

JRSlawn
02-26-2006, 02:28 PM
HEEEELLLL NO! I did it they expect it done for nothing and it ruins the realationship

Runner
02-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I was just going to write that you're screwed, but then I saw that you are onlt 16. Yeah,...give her a price, THEN cut her a LITTLE bit of slack. It's the least you can do...afterall, she's letting you use her daughter every now and then... If she was loaning you a shovel or something, I would hope you'd do the same thing. But the bottom line is, it makes YOU look bigger. Another thing you can do with this, is give her a "friendly bargain". Tell her you'll give her a better deal if she grills you hamburgers some day. (One of those inevetible things that are going to happen, anyway). Good luck with it, and have fun with it. Life is short!

Mr Budget
02-26-2006, 06:00 PM
My girlfriends mother asked me to Aerate their lawn and do a Spring Cleanup.

My normal hourly rate for spring clean up is 35$ and hour. I was thinking about giving her a discount of 25/hr because she makes all my business cards for me and helps me ALOT with this business. Is this ok to do?

Also, does 35/hr seem a little low to you?
Thanks, Adam

Think about this, You say it's your girlfriends mother thats wants you to do this, Is there there even a small Chance this girlfriend could turn out to be a want-able wife. Don't let a few dollars be bad influence in a possible growing relationship specially when it come to a mother in law, don't forget that bond a daughter and mother have.This may not be good business sense, but may save you a lot of trouble:hammerhead:

Adam3669
02-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Couuld be :) Two and a half years!

cwlawley
02-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I'd be stuck doing in for free. Win the hearts of her parents and charge them later.

hotpan
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
how old are you and your girlfriend?

Runner
02-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Well, he's 16, that's why I said that's different. But that's just me...I'd be friendly and comical about it...I'd tell her it's going to cost ALOT When she says how much? I'd tell her probably a whole dinner WITH a pop included...It's worth that, just to see a smile come to someone's face. TWO people if her daughter is standing right nearby. There are some certain things we just do in this world...You will have alot of paying customers in your future. Have fun with it...that's what life is all about. :waving:

sheshovel
02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree with runner..I woulden't charge her at all.

procut
02-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I agree with runner..I woulden't charge her at all.

I second, that was good advice from runner.

Splicer
02-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Now if she wants to tip you that is again another animal. She knows you will (should?) spendit on the daughter.

Adam3669
02-27-2006, 04:21 PM
I'll be 17 in may, she'll be 17 next september.

I'm going to lay down some mulch for her, aerate, and do a fert appl. Should I just have them pay for the materials/rental fee- (20$ from my brother) and no labor costs?
Thanks, adam

haha, and I get a seperate stocking every x-mas at their house that her mom puts up for me, and more than once she has told me that she loved me...it was a little weird, but I think i'm past the sucking up stage. But I do agree with you Runner, it wouldn't hurt to do a little more!

hole in one lco
02-27-2006, 04:29 PM
free for family and yes your (family for now):)

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-27-2006, 04:31 PM

I'm going to lay down some mulch for her, aerate, and do a fert appl. Should I just have them pay for the materials/rental fee- (20$ from my brother) and no labor costs?
Thanks, adam

haha, and I get a seperate stocking every x-mas at their house that her mom puts up for me, and more than once she has told me that she loved me...it was a little weird, but I think i'm past the sucking up stage. But I do agree with you Runner, it wouldn't hurt to do a little more!

Unless it's some kind of holiday, ie b'day, anniversary etc., I'd charge for materials and equipment and do the labor for a steak dinner at their house.

dcondon
02-27-2006, 04:37 PM

Thanks, adam

Well, If we see some pic's of the G/F then we can say to charge her mother or not!!!!:waving: Hope this helps!!!!