PDA

View Full Version : When do the calls come in??

Wayne Landscaping
02-26-2006, 01:54 PM
How long does it usually take for calls to come in after advertising. Ive only passed out about 200 out of my 10K and only one call from a returning customer. My friend says that i shouldnt worry about it cause most of his customers didnt call until they needed it and it was already long and growing. I need about 160 - $25 customers to reach my goal of paying off my Scag Tiger CUb and buying a F-150 cash. So i am just asking about when other customers call for u guys and if i should worry or not, i dont expect a doze calls from only 200 doorhangers, but i just dont want to pass out 10K and have nobody calling

beautifullawns
02-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I passed out about 150-200 last year and only got 1 call. The calls will come when weather starts getting warmer.

alwaysgreener
02-26-2006, 03:51 PM
How long does it usually take for calls to come in after advertising. Ive only passed out about 200 out of my 10K and only one call from a returning customer. My friend says that i shouldnt worry about it cause most of his customers didnt call until they needed it and it was already long and growing. I need about 160 - $25 customers to reach my goal of paying off my Scag Tiger CUb and buying a F-150 cash. So i am just asking about when other customers call for u guys and if i should worry or not, i dont expect a doze calls from only 200 doorhangers, but i just dont want to pass out 10K and have nobody calling

Just because you handed out 200 flyers does not mean the calls will start pouring in..What makes you stand out from the rest of your competition? Why should they come to you just because your advertising your business? You need to sell your skills and educate the consumer why they need to chose you and your company. Don't wait for the phone to ring get out there and sell yourself buy making appointments with residential and commercial clients to talk about services you are offering. Advertising alone is not enough in this business.

promower
02-26-2006, 03:59 PM
160 customers is a tough goal, handeling 160 customers is even tougher. As said in the past, expect a 1.5% return on flyers, remember that the 1.5% is not all going to be all full season maintenance. Flyers are a goldmine for landing 1 time cleanups and mowing jobs when the grass is 10" tall. Find out what works for advertising in your area, concentrate on that, back it up with great service and quality. Obtaining 160 new customers will take a good amount of advertisng and operating cash. I would consider 50 new full season accounts off 10,000 flyers to be a success and a realistic number. Good luck

jdkatz
02-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I think it really depends on the weather in your area. I have only passed out about 150 door hangers and have landed 2 new contracts. Most folks will call when they go out and want to BBQ with their Friends. Here in FL the weather is good enough for year round care, Not to busy during Jan and Feb, but enough. Another thing that I think helps me down here is I live right outside of the city and the subdivisions never stop increasing.

Shawns Lawns
02-26-2006, 04:11 PM
You will probably get calls a week or two after they really really need you.:waving:

FL&G
02-26-2006, 04:44 PM
I believe it's still too early. I made the mistake of starting to advertise on the third week of February last year. I did'nt begin to recieve any calls untill the first week of April. I wasted around $300.00. I'm not running any ads untill the third week of March this year. I'll begin clean ups on existing customers the first week of March weather permitting.

Wayne Landscaping
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
160 customers is a tough goal, handeling 160 customers is even tougher. As said in the past, expect a 1.5% return on flyers, remember that the 1.5% is not all going to be all full season maintenance. Flyers are a goldmine for landing 1 time cleanups and mowing jobs when the grass is 10" tall. Find out what works for advertising in your area, concentrate on that, back it up with great service and quality. Obtaining 160 new customers will take a good amount of advertisng and operating cash. I would consider 50 new full season accounts off 10,000 flyers to be a success and a realistic number. Good luck

Yeah, well this area must be different cause we got 40 account out of 3K flyers, and its not how many am i gunna get that i am asking u, its after u guys pass out doorhnagers, how long does it take for the customers to call.

FL&G
02-26-2006, 05:06 PM
160 "new" accounts. How many total. I agree 160 accounts is very hard to manage. How many men do you have working for you. How many crews? 27 lawns on a 6 day week? Remember Quality not Quantity!

Wayne Landscaping
02-26-2006, 05:09 PM
160 "new" accounts. How many total. I agree 160 accounts is very hard to manage. How many men do you have working for you. How many crews? 27 lawns on a 6 day week? Remember Quality not Quantity!

Well, we have a $3750 week goal, i ahve anouther partner helping me. We were gunna do 43 each weekend and about 15 each weekday. We just have 1 crew but many other companies that we network to help us.

FL&G
02-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Good luck with that

Wayne Landscaping
02-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Good luck with that

shiveslandcsaping
02-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Dont feel bad I have passed out over 500 postcards so far with no calls at all. Feels like you are wasting your time and money for nothing.

CLARK LAWN
02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Well, we have a $3750 week goal, i ahve anouther partner helping me. We were gunna do 43 each weekend and about 15 each weekday. We just have 1 crew but many other companies that we network to help us.
working seven days a weeks? not to bust your bubble but you need a reality check there is NO WAY this will happen! not unless you get some development with not travel times and lawns are only 3000sqf. what are you going to do when it rains for a day or two and you cant cut? good luck and thanks for the customers that those of us living in reality will get when you cant keep up

Wayne Landscaping
02-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Dont feel bad I have passed out over 500 postcards so far with no calls at all. Feels like you are wasting your time and money for nothing.
Yeah, i just thinkim too worried, my friends say that they never get calls from the doorhangers right when they pass them out, just wehn they really need it and find they dont have the time for the whole year like in april

Freshcut Lawn Care
02-26-2006, 05:57 PM
My advice (for the next time) is to save your time and money on the flyers and the effort to hand them out, and take out a yellow pages ad and list your services.

We get more calls from the phone book, than from anywhere else!

There is nothing wrong with pounding to the pavement to generate new customers, but mostly people will search the yelllow pages, when they need something, or you! :walking:

A lot of my newer customers said they called us, because we listed the service they need, right in the yellow page ad!

Good luck!

ICE
02-26-2006, 06:34 PM
The calls will come in when the grass should have been cut three weeks prior, and then they will look at you like What, $25?!?! ;) I know the kid down the street that will do it for $22! LOL

Tim:cool2:

bigjeeping
02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm a man who can appreciate your optimism... however, you can expect around 1% return on flyers. This return means the number of phone calls you get. NOT the number of clients that sign your contract. I find that I get a customer base of around .5% for the flyers I pass out.

Another note. Working all day for 7 days is impossible. What are you going to do if it rains? I have lawn mowing scheduled for M-F (no body wants you there on the weekends!) And if it does rain then I push the entire schedule back into the weekend. It works great!

Last thing. When designing your flyer hand it out to a few people and tell them to react to it as if they just picked it up off there front porch. Would they be interested and want to take a look..... or would it get thrown out with the best of 'em.... good luck!

Precision
02-26-2006, 08:05 PM
anywhere from same day to 6 weeks later.

Usually when the yard is in need of a double cutting.

And why do you need 160 accts to bring in 3750 per week

that is just less than $24 per yard, unless you are doing mow and blow. and if so, good luck on the 43 per day. with two 2 man crews maybe. Or if you get an entire neighborhood. It just can't be done. 5 minutes of load and unload time and drive time is 3.5 hours just in loading and driving. So in a 12 hour day. 1/2 hour for lunch gets you 8 hours cutting. so that means 20 minutes per lawn. or in an 8 hour day, that leaves you 10 minutes per lawn.

promower
02-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I wasnt trying to shoot you down, the reason I posted the way I did was cause it sounded like you figured that since you put out a few flyers the calls should have been pouring in. People with interest will hold onto a flyer for a long time, so you may get calls 6 months from now. Peak calling for regular lawn maintenance for me starts two weeks before cutting and goes through the second week of cutting. Now back to the sub topic, 43 lawns in one day with two guys is a bad idea. In the early years of business giving yourself a bad rap, in this case taking more then you could handle with the equipment and man power you described will only cause you to lose the accounts you lined up and burn bridges with future opportunities. I am not trying to be negative, your best bet would be to try and line up 40-60 accounts averaging $40-$50 per job.

sheshovel
02-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Your setting yourself up for dissapointment by naming a number of accounts you need.

WH Lawn Care
02-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Talk about a delay in response!! I got a call for a lawn estimate for the new season and the person had the flier I passed out last year when she greeted me at the front door.

JimLewis
02-26-2006, 09:18 PM
First thing; this is probably not the best time of year yet for maintenance. My phones been ringing off the hook since Jan 1 for landscape design, installations and irrigation systems. And our install crews are booked for weeks. But I haven't gotten many calls for maintenance yet this year. So I think people looking for lawn maintenance wait until the grass is really growing fast to call. February is still a little early for that.

Second; Don't ever assume that 100 or 200 flyers are going to hit the jackpot for you. BIG mistake. I made that mistake the first time too. DON'T GIVE UP ON FLYERS!!! They work. And they work very well!

Comments like the one above, I passed out about 150-200 last year and only got 1 call. are just from people who haven't ever really given flyers a chance. If you want to get calls with flyers you gotta hand out thousands. And you gotta try different neighborhoods, different parts of town, different times of the week, and just keep handing them out every free minute you have. I know several local LCOs who have enough accounts to keep them busy for 2 days per week and the other days they just sit around and waste time, "waiting for the phone to ring." Back when I was in that position, I was out passing out flyers EVERY FREAKIN' FREE MINUTE I HAD! I built my business doing that. I would pass out flyers week after week after week after week until I was so busy that I didn't have ANY free time.

Some areas work better than others. You gotta vary it up a bit. And like I said above, some times of the years work better than others too. March will work better than Feb. And April will probably produce even better results. May will produce great results too. But it's all a numbers game. Even in the middle of February flyers can still work. It's just a lesser percentage of them.

They're not that expensive. So just make up several thousand and don't give up! Hand them out every free minute you have.

And if you don't get results in February, go back to those same neighborhoods in late March or April and pass them out again!

They work!

Wayne Landscaping
02-26-2006, 11:54 PM
Im not saying i expected calls after only passing out 200, im just asking after u guys pass out doorhangers, when do u get calls, im not asking u guys if i can do it, cause i can and have, or if i can get the customers, because i can (i.e. connections) im just asking from ur experiances how long till u get a call?

promower
02-27-2006, 01:09 AM
well I guess if you can and have then you should know.

JimLewis
02-27-2006, 01:24 AM
I've gotten calls the same day I passed them out and just walked back to the house to give them an estimate. I've gotten calls over a year after I passed them out. Someone called me last year from a flyer I left at their home. And I haven't done flyers for several years now. So it can vary.

In general, most people call from a flyer within the first few days of receiving them. After the first few days, you'll still get calls. But the majority call within the first few days.