PDA

View Full Version : What equipment you wish you would have rented instead of buying it.

DLS1
02-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Just curious what equipment you bought thinking you would have made your money back fairly quickly but took a few years to pay for it and wished you would have rented it when you need it.

I have been renting an aerator for a few years but tell myself i should buy one but have not made enough money from aeration to justify buying one. I guess if i bought one I would be temped to lower my aeration rates to help pay it off quicker.

Seems like an aerator, dethatcher, slit seeder would be some items that would be tough decision to buy or rent it.

accuratelawn
02-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I rented aerators for a few seasons.
I purchased one a couple years ago for the benefit of scheduling the work. Since I purchased an aerator I can carry it on the trailer and add a couple areation jobs each day, rather than stacking them all up & renting a machine.

beautifullawns
02-26-2006, 03:29 PM
The two pieces of equipment that I always rent is an aerator and a skidsteer. I plan on buying both this year. I bought a rototiller though and have only used it once. That is something I should have just rented.

Shawns Lawns
02-26-2006, 04:18 PM
I would like to buy an ariens powerbroom but because of the amount of sweeping i do renting for me is the way to go.:waving:

turfcobob
03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
I suggest you look at the overall picture. When you rent it is more than the rental involved. You have to scedule to the rental plus the cost of drive time truck, employee or yourself...Rental makes sense if it is an occasional thing. but it is probably better to buy if you rent more than 6 times a year.

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Just curious what equipment you bought thinking you would have made your money back fairly quickly but took a few years to pay for it and wished you would have rented it when you need it.

I have been renting an aerator for a few years but tell myself i should buy one but have not made enough money from aeration to justify buying one. I guess if i bought one I would be temped to lower my aeration rates to help pay it off quicker.

Seems like an aerator, dethatcher, slit seeder would be some items that would be tough decision to buy or rent it.

None----I buy it and then bust my azz finding the work to make it pay for itself fast.

Can't stand to rent and try and scheldule pick up and drop off times and better not go over the hrs or your prodject budget will be screwed up.

When I bought my slit seeder I had no jobs lined up so I went out and convinced people that they could spend a few hundred $$$$ and a few yrs working with fert to establish a thicker plusher lawn, or for $300 per 1/4 acre lot I could slice in ner seed for the same result. Did 10 jobs a day for 2 days and it was paid for. so its been a profit maker since. With the exception of maintenece.

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I tend to agree with Mac. I rent very few items.... matter of fact, the only thing I can remember renting over the past few years is a harley rake.

I also agree with BeautifulLawns though. My rototiller doesn't do a lot more than take up space in the garage.

impactlandscaping
03-01-2006, 12:26 PM
We rent some skid steer attachments and even a mini here and there. Can't really say I wish I would have not bought something instead of renting. I'm more of the mindset of Mac and Mark. Buy it, and the work will come:drinkup:

BufalinoLand
03-01-2006, 12:57 PM
If I have to rent something more than 2x I buy it

It makes you hustle if you owe on it, after its paid for its all gravy

Renting is for wanta bes in my opinion

I hate having to go rent or borrow something, it doesnt make you efficient

I am so busy april to dec, i rarely have time to fit in drinks(but of course I do)
so having everything you need at your shop or on your trailer is well worth it to me

chaz
03-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I also buy everything first and then find work for it. Keeps me very motivated. Renting is for suckers

The mayor
03-01-2006, 01:29 PM
As my dad says. If you have to ask for it more than once it's time to buy your own.

DLS1
03-01-2006, 06:35 PM
As my dad says. If you have to ask for it more than once it's time to buy your own.

No matter what the cost to buy?

So if you need to rent a bobcat skid steer two times for a total of $300 then it is time to buy a $30,000 bobcat. He must have told some type of price limitation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Shawns Lawns
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm amazed that some of you have unlimited wealth and cannot be inconvenienced by renting a piece of equipment. :confused:

DLS1
03-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm amazed that some of you have unlimited wealth and cannot be inconvenienced by renting a piece of equipment. :confused:

Common sense and logical thinking goes out the door for some people when it comes to when to buying big boy toys. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BSDeality
03-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I bought a tow behind aerator last year because I secured a neighborhood in a new development that all needed aeration badly. i couldn't justify purchasing a WB one too. I also bought a Lesco Renovator, and that paid for itself in the same project. I also found that since I had the machine, I was upselling more services to go with the machines where as I wouldn't be so inclined to try to get the job when I have to rent the machine.

That being said, when you have the capitol to buy the machines it is nice to have it, however don't go over your head and drown in debt.

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I'd rather look like a 'sucker' and rent something several times than be stuck with a piece of equipment that i'm going to have work my azz off to pay back...

When renting pieces of equipment, the customer is paying for the rental and time involved in picking up and dropping off. I make sure I know that I either have the work or will be able to line up the work on bigger purchases for the machine to pay itself off.

Dave

The mayor
03-01-2006, 06:57 PM
No matter what the cost to buy?

So if you need to rent a bobcat skid steer two times for a total of $300 then it is time to buy a $30,000 bobcat. He must have told some type of price limitation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
He may have been making a reference to me always borrowing his tools as a kid.:laugh:

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I'd rather look like a 'sucker' and rent something several times than be stuck with a piece of equipment that i'm going to have work my azz off to pay back...

When renting pieces of equipment, the customer is paying for the rental and time involved in picking up and dropping off. I make sure I know that I either have the work or will be able to line up the work on bigger purchases for the machine to pay itself off.

Dave

Do you try to grow your company or are you happy renting out your services
Thats the differnce in renting or buying

chaz
03-01-2006, 07:08 PM

Dave

yeah i do work my azz off thats why my company doubles every year

nitrotim
03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
We rent some skid steer attachments and even a mini here and there. Can't really say I wish I would have not bought something instead of renting. I'm more of the mindset of Mac and Mark. Buy it, and the work will come:drinkup:

Bill lol, I am teetering on buying a compact tractor.. I have acouple jobs lined up for it already and instead of renting I was looking to buy with the BUY IT AND THE WORK WILL COME attitude I am still thinking about it I 'll let you know what I decide.

fga
03-01-2006, 08:37 PM
the only thing i have ever rented was a bobcat, now that's a machine you better have or get work to pay for.
my buddy just bought one, does pavers. decided to rent it to reputable people for a better price then the rental shops... they are more then paying for the monthly payment on it.

anyway, a dethatcher? i spent $1100 on mine 8 years ago. pure gold that thing is. cash cow, spring and late summer on the clean ups... and i use it when i'm prepping an area for sod. after scapling with the mower/trimmers...drop that baby down with the metal teeth, practically tills the whole thing. what a back saver!

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Yes. I do work my azz off.

In my situation, I will rent a stump grinder 2 to 3 times a year. Every couple of months I will have lined up enough jobs so that I can use the grinder for a full day. I can be 'incovienenced' and pay $150 per day (which is part of my bid) or should I go out and buy the $8-10K stump grinder?
1. Yes, I completely agree that I could pay it off. However, stump grinding is not the direction I want my business to go. That's why I rent it. I'll do it because it typically is for existing customers or it's needed to complete my landscaping job.
2. At $150/day, it would take 66 rentals for me to just pay off the machine. Not to mention maintenance.

There's equipment that I used to rent that I have now purchased because at the time I didn't have or think I would have enough jobs to make it worth purchasing. If I wanted offer offer slit seeding as a service, I would also agree that I would buy one probably even before renting. Knowing that there is a demand it.

Dave

Kohls Landscaping Co
03-01-2006, 09:08 PM
olderthandirt & chaz,

What I was trying to say in my first post is that i'd rather not work my azz off just to pay off a piece of equipment that I should have never bought in the first place. I'd rather work my azz off being profitable.

Dave

chaz
03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Well that is were we are different. I don't do everything. If someone asked me to do stump grinding i would tell them to look in the phone book, or talk them into having me dig it out with my backhoe. I only buy equipment that will be required for my companys growth. If someone wanted me to install a fence. I would say no, because i don't install fences. I wouldn't go out and rent a posthole digger. If i did add fence installations i would buy a post hole digger. Someone asking me to grind stumps or cut down trees which is a tree guys job, is like someone asking me to come in there house and fix there plumbing, which is a plumbers job. If i didn't have anything else to do and i was desperate for money, i would rent a chipper to cut down trees. If i decided to add a tree service to my company, i would buy a chipper and advertise out the azz for tree removal. My point is if you plan on doing more of the work in the future why not buy it. It will eventually make you more money in the long run. This also allows you to perform the work when a customer ask for it, instead of saying i can do it but, you have to wait until i get more customers for it. It makes you look alot more professinal.

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Well that is were we are different. I don't do everything. If someone asked me to do stump grinding i would tell them to look in the phone book, or talk them into having me dig it out with my backhoe. I only buy equipment that will be required for my companys growth. If someone wanted me to install a fence. I would say no, because i don't install fences. I wouldn't go out and rent a posthole digger. If i did add fence installations i would buy a post hole digger. Someone asking me to grind stumps or cut down trees which is a tree guys job, is like someone asking me to come in there house and fix there plumbing, which is a plumbers job. If i didn't have anything else to do and i was desperate for money, i would rent a chipper to cut down trees. If i decided to add a tree service to my company, i would buy a chipper and advertise out the azz for tree removal. My point is if you plan on doing more of the work in the future why not buy it. It will eventually make you more money in the long run. This also allows you to perform the work when a customer ask for it, instead of saying i can do it but, you have to wait until i get more customers for it. It makes you look alot more professinal.

That sums up my thought, but to add I never bought anything that did not become profitable and in a short time period

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Well..... I used to think buy-buy-buy was always the way to go.
But frankly, sometimes it's just not.

What I have learned over the years is this....
There is nessasary overhead... and then their is convienence overhead.

In addition I have learned....
There are the cost effective items to own... and the non-cost effective items.
There are the high use items.... and the low use items.
There are the low maintenace items... and the high maintenance items.

In the end I have learned it is sometimes just obviously smarter to rent some things.
What items depends on the person/business.
So we can let our internet alter egos get the best of us or we can think objectively.

I just doesn't make sense to own everything you will ever use.

chaz
03-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I bought all of my equipment and i go all year with out having to rent anything and i use all of my equipment. Also all of my equipment is high use, or i wouldn't of bought it.

Tonyr
03-01-2006, 11:40 PM
My WIFE!! LOL!

Turned out to be a very expensive piece of equipment that only works sometimes! ha ha ha hmmmmm, maybe I can trade for a new one! lol, lol.

fga
03-01-2006, 11:43 PM
My WIFE!! LOL!

Turned out to be a very expensive piece of equipment that only works sometimes! ha ha ha hmmmmm, maybe I can trade for a new one! lol, lol.
i guess you have a comfortable couch?:waving:

Tonyr
03-02-2006, 12:01 AM
yeah mate.............lol

:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :waving: :waving:

gammon landscaping
03-02-2006, 12:50 AM
i would agree if you are renting something a week out of the month than buy it that is common sence. but i rent alot of stuff. i have a 236 cat skid, and lets say i have 5 grand in my operating budget. that is money that i operate out of. now last year i rented a harley rake severel times. an auger a few times, a rockhound half a dozen times, trencher three times, a rock breaker once, and i am sure i am mising something else. i think when i did my books i spent 3800 dollers in rental. but all that money would just buy one of these tools if that( not even half of a harley rake). so if i thought that i had to buy all this stuff for a few jobs a year, i would have spent around 30 thousand. so by renting i saved thousands. plus i don't have to maintain, store, or fine work for all this stuff

so renting has its place it works for me.

cwlawley
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
yeah i do work my azz off thats why my company doubles every year

2k gross, 4k gross, 8k gross....so?

sheshovel
03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Now Now cwLawly be nice./
I have to be nice..everybody has to be nice!!!!

chaz
03-02-2006, 06:33 PM
2k gross, 4k gross, 8k gross....so?

Yeah with a 20% profit dumbass

Kilroy
03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
...Seems like an aerator, dethatcher, slit seeder would be some items that would be tough decision to buy or rent it.I bought when I should have rented I guess. But as someone already said, I too did it for the convenience. I could afford to buy the equipment, didn't like running to the rental company, etc. While I rarely use the equipment, it's there when I need it. Having said this, I only use it when I absolutely have to, and I never go looking for that type of work. Why? I found out I don't like it. Just too hard on my old body. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't buy, and I wouldn't rent: I'd just hire somebody else to do it.

cantoo
03-02-2006, 10:28 PM
I have equipment I haven't used in two years, I also have equipment that I bought and have never used.. It's all for sale. I don't think I have ever rented anything other than my father in laws trator a couple of times. I now have my own.