PDA

View Full Version : ToolCat Questions/Opinions

SD-Dave
02-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Anyone have any experience with the ToolCat?

I am looking to replace a medium size tractor for my gentlemen's farm and commercial applications...which is now field mowing, snow removal and landscaping.
The tractor is overkill in many applications, and now that I have a larger loader for the big snow, material moving etc. I am thinking I can afford a smaller more multi-use machine...the toolcat seems perfect for the small snow removal task landscaping adventures and other unusual tasks. My biggest concern is with mowing fields and some commercial lawn areas. How well does it mow? what is the largest front mower you can get? how fast can it mow effectively? Has anyone used the rear PTO to power a pull-type brush hog?,,,it is 46hp. Also how does it do traversing wet ground...does it sink easily, get stuck, weight distribution good? Not looking for z-turn mowing quality but need golf course ruff type mowing at 2" or so.

Thanks for the help

SD-Dave :usflag:

Scag48
02-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I would have stuck with the tractor, but to each his own I suppose. I think Bobcat offers a finishing mower for the Toolcat and going by the pictures I've seen from Bobcat's website it looks to do a decent job, but I don't think it will produce the kind of quality that a tractor or dedicated mower will. But, this is multi-purpose machine so you can't expect it to give you excellent results all around, it's a jack of all trades and a master of none. However, the Toolcat seems to be just the ticket for many operations and I am not by any means discouraging the purchase of the machine, just remember what it was designed for and try not to expect too much from it when it comes to productivity, etc.

With all that said, the all wheel steering system is the cat's meow for the machine. My college has one and I always see it running around campus. It seems to me the key to the machine's success is the all wheel steering, allowing you to get into tight spots very easily but still allows for smooth and virtually damage free traverse across lawns, finished landscapes, etc. The cabs are nice as well and having a steering wheel to control the machine is the only way for some people. I've always been a real fan of joystick controls, but the steering wheel suits this machine. The 4WD system I've heard is pretty hardcore, I think they even offer a differntial lock as an option. Front and rear suspension would be a nice feature, especially for mowing.

tnmtn
02-26-2006, 10:42 PM
dave,
from what i have read mowing will be a strong point for the toolcat. you have many options for mower decks, both bushogsand finish mowing. for snow work i have read many good reports as well. i think for some light landscape work it would be fine. just not sure about heavy digging work.
as far as the drive system, it is awesome. the 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steering is quite a combination. i have a B300 which weighs in around 9000 lbs. and does little damage to dry ground and turf. when it is wet it does leave an imprint. the toolcat weighs 1/2 that so the damage should be considerably less. i believe you can also go with turf tires which would further reduce damage. but the cost would be traction for the rough stuff. the other good side should be low fuel consumption. i know the backhoe sips it.
good luck,
metin