PDA

View Full Version : 21 inch mowers

smittypa
02-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm looking for a 21 inch self propelled mower to replace a troybilt 33 inch as my gate mower. I would buy another troybilt, but paying $1500 for a new mower that will only be used for 5 lawns doesn't make sense. I'm hearing good things about the Toro Super Recylcler. I know it isn't "commercial" but neither is the Troybilt which has been running over 10 years. Will the straight axel of the toro slow me down, or should I be looking at caster wheels like the Ariens, CubCadet, etc.?

Jason Rose
02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Look at the Honda mowers at Homer Cheapo. Some of the middle to high end ones there are pretty nice. There is several posts on here where they are mentioned and the feedback is usually positive. The Super Recycler also gets good reveiws, even for being a homeowner model.

As for the front wheels, Stick with the solid axle. No 21" mower is that heavy in front that you can't easily lift it to turn. Most people complian more about the swivel front wheels than like them.

mulcahy mowing
02-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I agree with the honda, I run one and love it to death, but if the troy built lasted so long why not buy another?

Ky.Smoke
02-26-2006, 07:36 PM
I agree with mulany. I know it is more expensive but why not get another troybilt. The time it will save in the lomg run will make up the price difference.

Jason Rose
02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
What's this??? There are people on here actually recommending to someone to buy another Troybilt???

I will mark this day on my calendar... What's next, a member actually admitting that Dixon mowers are GOOD?

I have advocated for the Troybilt 33" mower many many times on here, but to no avail. I love mine! I am, however, trying to replace it with my 36" walker I bought... Mainly due to ankle issues and not mower preformance at all.

P.S. Dixon rules too!

smittypa
02-26-2006, 08:31 PM
If my troybilt wasn't running I'd definitely grab a new one. It's running well, but it's getting old. I just have the feeling that it could go at any time. I am looking for a backup just in case. Since I got the Quick 36, I don't use the troybilt that much anymore (maybe 5 lawns). If I could get the Quick 36 through every gate, I don't know if I would use it at all.

JimLewis
02-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Look at the Honda mowers at Homer Cheapo. Some of the middle to high end ones there are pretty nice. There is several posts on here where they are mentioned and the feedback is usually positive.

NO! NO! NO! NO!

This is not good advice. Listen, I am the first to chime in and recommend Hondas. But ONLY the Honda Commercial mowers. Not the semi-commercial HRX and definitely not the homeowner HR models. Those are not good for commercial work. If you are carrying mowers around on a trailer or truck, these mowers will not work well for you. Only the commercial HRC models will work for commercial maintenance, and you can't buy those at Home Cheapo.

Jason Rose
02-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Ok, he already stated he was looking to cut maybe 5 BACKYARDS a week with it, not running it 40 hours a week. there is no need for a $1,200 21" mower for that. If he wanted to spend that much he'd get another Troybilt 33".

K&L Landscaping
02-26-2006, 09:34 PM
John Deere JX75 is a very good commercial grade 21" mower. I thought I would save myself a little money and buy the JA62's but I just decided to spend the extra $$ and buy some more JX75s. They are a time proven machine and are very hard to beat at $750.00.

ozd12005
02-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Craftmans 6.75 hp 22" for $240.00

sikagrass
02-26-2006, 11:20 PM
If you go back to a 21 after using a 33 I think you will hate it.Dont know about you but especially in the spring when it grows so fast think of how you will miss that horsepower and the extra walking. I just bought my first one and I cant believe I ever did without one. I have the cadet with the caster wheels (3 years old,6.75 hp,about 500.00 new) it does a good job fast but you have to trim more than a regular 21,and its heavy. Good luck with your decision.

JimLewis
02-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Ok, he already stated he was looking to cut maybe 5 BACKYARDS a week with it, not running it 40 hours a week. there is no need for a $1,200 21" mower for that. If he wanted to spend that much he'd get another Troybilt 33".

Yah, I caught that. The reason I said that the Hondas don't work is because they don't hold up to beating they get riding in the back of a trailer. They are belt-driven. So the belts fall off when you carry them around in a bumpy trailer all day. I don't care if you are mowing 5 lawns a week or 500 lawns a week. That's not the point. They aren't meant to withstand the abuse of a commercial operation - being driven from place to place.

jblawns123
02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Glad you chimed in, I just bought a HRX that was mistagged $399 from $599 and am now going to return it. I was looking at the belt underneath and could forsee it coming off, I will be getting a Honda commercial model. Just grabbed this cause it had bearings in the wheels and looked really strong and at a savings of $200 I couldn't go wrong.

But it will cost me a lot more the first time I show up to a job and can't do the small areas and have to come back because my 21" mower broke.

naturescape
02-27-2006, 11:10 AM
SNAPPER, SNAPPER, SNAPPER! You won't believe how good these 21's are for the price. Take a look at em.

mcwlandscaping
02-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I agree with the honda, I run one and love it to death,

I run 3 of them, don't waste the money on the swivel wheel one, all it does is limit your ability to trim close with the front of the deck, and who can't lift the front of the mower to turn around, its quicker that way as you have a tighter turning radius. Go with the honda, ive been buying the homeowner hondas for my 21"ers since i started cutting, my oldest honda is going on its 8th year, the other is going on its 6th, and i have a brand new one i got about a month ago! You won't be disappointed

JimLewis
02-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Glad you chimed in, I just bought a HRX that was mistagged $399 from $599 and am now going to return it. I was looking at the belt underneath and could forsee it coming off, I will be getting a Honda commercial model. Just grabbed this cause it had bearings in the wheels and looked really strong and at a savings of $200 I couldn't go wrong.

But it will cost me a lot more the first time I show up to a job and can't do the small areas and have to come back because my 21" mower broke.

Yah, no problem. I learned all this stuff the hard way. Long ago I bought TWO of those mowers. I figured I was saving money too. HAHAHA!! Can't tell you how many times each week we arrived to mow only to find out the belt had fallen off AGAIN. As for mowing goes, they can handle a lot of mowing. No question there. But riding around in a bumpy trailer is what they can't handle. Once I got rid of them and went to the commercial models, all our problems stopped.

zim bob the landscaper
02-27-2006, 02:35 PM
i was looking at 21" mowers yesterday and found this i thought it was pritty cool instead of a back wheel its a striping roller has anyone used one how did you like it and how much???

http://www.hovermower.com/st21k.htm

BNMLUTZ
02-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I just picked up a comm. 21" Toro Proline W/ blade clutch. Spent bout 1gurr for it. Looks sweet and used it on the grass yesterday. Runs nice! I recommend one so far!

lawnboy dan
02-27-2006, 07:39 PM
go with the john deere jx75.-its the best 21 you can buy.