PDA

View Full Version : Using 4 cycle trimmers.

above all
02-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Have any of you good people been running the Honda or the Briggs 4 cycle stuff for trimmers or edgers ? Do they have a much torque as the good 2 cycle ones?

lawnmaniac883
02-26-2006, 07:41 PM
About all I know about them is they are heavier yet quiter...

TURF DOCTOR
02-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Not for us,what you want in ope is something light,and powerfull.

ThirdDay
02-26-2006, 07:47 PM
4 cycle/4 mix trimmers/blowers etc. suck in my opinion.

They are heavier and have more moving parts to wear out and replace.

2 cycle hand held equipment is still available from some key companies like RedMax and Echo and that is what I'm sticking with.

lawnmaniac883
02-26-2006, 07:49 PM
4 cycle/4 mix trimmers/blowers etc. suck in my opinion.

They are heavier and have more moving parts to wear out and replace.

2 cycle hand held equipment is still available from some key companies like RedMax and Echo and that is what I'm sticking with.

I must disagree with you here. The 4-mix trimmers are far superior to any straight 2 cycle I have ever used...not trying to open a can of worms but giving credit where it is due.

Precision
02-26-2006, 07:53 PM
I must disagree with you here. The 4-mix trimmers are far superior to any straight 2 cycle I have ever used...not trying to open a can of worms but giving credit where it is due.

I agree.

Now there is a huge difference between 4 cycle and 4 mix.

I realy like the Stihl 4 mix stuff. As a matter of fact that is all I buy now when it exists.

Tonyr
02-26-2006, 08:09 PM
My Honda 4 Stroke, heavy yes, reliable, very, cheap to run, yes, would I buy anything else but 4 Stroke, NO!

4 Strokes are cleaner, no mixing feul etc, last for ages, mine is in it's 5th year, and it works hard, very hard. Honda engines are top notch.

Note, this is 4 Stroke, not 4 Mix I'm talking about, and I have no idea how they compare.

ed2hess
02-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I agree.

Now there is a huge difference between 4 cycle and 4 mix.

I realy like the Stihl 4 mix stuff. As a matter of fact that is all I buy now when it exists.
I am still with straight 2 stroke but I am interested in whether you run the 4 mix without the guard on? And how many hours do you have on the 4 mix?

quiet
02-26-2006, 09:30 PM
My Honda 4 Stroke, heavy yes, reliable, very, cheap to run, yes, would I buy anything else but 4 Stroke, NO!

4 Strokes are cleaner, no mixing feul etc, last for ages, mine is in it's 5th year, and it works hard, very hard. Honda engines are top notch.

Note, this is 4 Stroke, not 4 Mix I'm talking about, and I have no idea how they compare.

My words exactly. Love the Honda trimmers and edgers.

Madstriper
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Coming from an equipment rental background, I absolutely love Honda powered anything. BUT, we bought a few Honda 4 stroke string trimmers about 6 years ago, and although they are SO EASY to crank, dont tear up, last forever, they just dont seem to have the power of two strokes. They seems to take longer to REV up, and easier to bog down, then again slower to get the RPM's back up.

greengiant9963
02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
I bought a new honda 4 stroke last year. Used it for 2 months and traded it is for a stihl 2 stroke. There are pros and cons to it. First the pros. Runs very smooth, plenty or power, better on gas. Cons. The weight. A bit heavier than most 2 stroke trimmers. Some jobs we spend 45 min. plus trimming. The extra few pounds you could really feel at the end of the day.

Precision
02-27-2006, 08:20 AM
I am still with straight 2 stroke but I am interested in whether you run the 4 mix without the guard on? And how many hours do you have on the 4 mix?

I have about 100-150 hours on my oldest unit. I run all line trimmers without the guard. I also have 4 mix hedge trimmers, pole saw and something else that I can't remember right now. buying new 4 mix line trimmers and edgers for my expansion this season.

grasswhacker
02-27-2006, 08:45 AM
I bought a Honda 4 stroke 3 years ago and have not had one problem either mechanically or with the weight. I've used Shins, Echos and crapola trimmers but the honda is by far the most economical and easiest to maintain.

Green King
02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
There are some cutters around here using the Dolmar four stroke trimmers and like them the weight is not to bad either and they do not have to worry about getting the fuel mix correct.

nitrotim
02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Have any of you good people been running the Honda or the Briggs 4 cycle stuff for trimmers or edgers ? Do they have a much torque as the good 2 cycle ones?

I have the shindaiwai 2510 and personally I think it sucks as a trimmer. I only use the edger attachement with it and it does a good job edging. My helpers don't like trimming wih it either.

R_Fn_S
02-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I have about 100-150 hours on my oldest unit. I run all line trimmers without the guard. I also have 4 mix hedge trimmers, pole saw and something else that I can't remember right now. buying new 4 mix line trimmers and edgers for my expansion this season.

You can run the 4Mix Stihls at about 8"of line, It is actually better for the machine that way. Not sure about running without the guard longer than 8" of string. Wont that cause problems with the motor??

Precision
02-28-2006, 12:07 AM
You can run the 4Mix Stihls at about 8"of line, It is actually better for the machine that way. Not sure about running without the guard longer than 8" of string. Wont that cause problems with the motor??
Not with the motor, but it will with the clutch. I guess with enough string out, you would also side load the motor with having it running so slow. but you would not be cutting very well either.

trimming line without the guard is easy anyway.

sethsodsquad
02-28-2006, 01:49 AM
The Briggs and Strattons are not that good on trimmers. My dad has one and it has several problems, one being it's a Craftsman. I believe that Craftsman is the only company that puts a 4 cycle B&S engine on their trimmer. (Also pretty heavy trimmer).

I have a Shindaiwa 2500 that works real well - I like it because it is quiet, powerful, and light. (compared to my previous trimmers)