PDA

View Full Version : Lowballers or price shoppers?

Tom c.
02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey lawn guys, Any one getting calls on lawn pricing? I got two calls this week, one lady says she had a lco doing her lawn = 2 guys for 40-45 mins doing the lawn for $20, I said really?But the owner doesnt return her calls no more, so I tell her I cant do it for less than $25 (small lawn 50x100) she says ok good you got it!! #2 Says she wants lawncare lots of edging and string trimming on a 100x100 property. I tell her $35 she says that seems high? I tell her to talk to her husband about it and let me know she says "Oh Im all alone no husband." Looking for sympathy? Think my pricing is off? or are they price shopping? You guys get any calls like this?Let me know what you guys think your opinion is appreciated. Tom :hammerhead:

mow2nd
02-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Who cares, when you go shopping dont you look for the best price you can get................duh.....................human nature, live with it or get a real J.O.B

HOOLIE
02-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Something's not right with the first lawn...5,000 sq ft and it takes 2 men 45 minutes??? That's 1.5 man hours. That should equate to a lot more than $25.

cwlawley
02-26-2006, 10:20 PM
It has been the same way for me. I have been advertising in some high-end neighborhoods lately and only get calls from people who will pay $25.00 no more. I would love to tell all of them no our minimum price is $30.00 but I would have lost out on over 6 properties already.

Luvs2Play
02-26-2006, 10:27 PM
We never give estimates over the phone, even if we know the property. We always make appointments to make estimates and make sure of positive communication. Even if they are looking for a "deal", we give an honest bid for the service they are wanting provided. I never give our minimum bid on the phone. I only do walkarounds when the property owner is present.

RedWolf
02-26-2006, 10:28 PM
I have had to go 25.00 in the high end neighborhoods.I have to say it was worth it.I picked up one then two then so on till i had 5 and i was happy.It taked me ten min to knock them out by myself.I get them done then move on.Sometimes you have to give alittle BUT not all the time.

lowballer17
02-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Cut, Edge & Trim all for one low price of $17.00
I concentrate on large homes on small lots. If it takes longer than 10 min, I wont cut it.

PMLAWN
02-27-2006, 07:55 AM
Something's not right with the first lawn...5,000 sq ft and it takes 2 men 45 minutes??? That's 1.5 man hours. That should equate to a lot more than $25.

Funny, how it's hard to keep a story straight.:laugh:

daveintoledo
02-27-2006, 09:37 AM
We never give estimates over the phone, even if we know the property. We always make appointments to make estimates and make sure of positive communication. Even if they are looking for a "deal", we give an honest bid for the service they are wanting provided. I never give our minimum bid on the phone. I only do walkarounds when the property owner is present.

no way, too many variables, trimming edging, the customer will say, oh there is just a little trimming, you get there and find one hundred trees to trim around..... inspect the property befor giving a quote

PGA
02-27-2006, 11:14 AM
If someone calls me, wants an estimate over the phone, wont give me their address, but tells me what they THINK the square footage is I double what I would normally charge.

They are usually 3-4,000 feet off.

BCFLawnLandscape
02-27-2006, 11:20 AM
It's easier to sell a customer face to face as well, Over the phone your just another voice, but when they see you face to face, looking professional, alot of times they'll go with you over whomever they called on the phone!

RobertVF
02-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I have had to go 25.00 in the high end neighborhoods.I have to say it was worth it.I picked up one then two then so on till i had 5 and i was happy.It taked me ten min to knock them out by myself.I get them done then move on.Sometimes you have to give alittle BUT not all the time.

How can you mow, trim, edge, and blow a yard in ten minutes?

lowballer17
02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I cut only the small yards. Small yards=bigger profits per hour.
the 40x90 ft yards are my favorites.

indy2tall
02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Who cares, when you go shopping dont you look for the best price you can get................duh.....................human nature, live with it or get a real J.O.B

Why don't you cut the guy some slack. He is just asking a question about stuff we have all heard. Last time I checked cutting grass was a real job. It seems to work well for JustMowIt.
Tom did these people get one of your flyers? If not then they are probably price shopping. I don't care if someone wants to price shop my services but I bid price shoppers a little different because they almost always just want a mow & blow without any extras.

lawnguy001
02-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey redwolf , Ive been cutting in Jax since '87 and I started out @ $25 a cut. I wouldn't DREAM of cutting in what you call "high end neighborhoods " for $25. With insurance , overhead , taxes , you can't make a living @ that price!

TforTexas
02-27-2006, 03:55 PM
You have to know your costs, that will determine your price. In 1984 I read a research paper that said for service industry companies after figuring Gas,Equipment depreciation, Insurance, Taxes, Oil, Dump fees, etc., etc., It cost an average of 25.00 dollars to park a truck in front of someones house.
That's before you expend any materials or labor. That's got to be up to 30.00 bucks by now. You may be able to reduce that somewhat with dense routes so as to lessen drive time, but still, It's hard to see how someone with a legit business can do a lawn for 20.00 or 25.00 and make any money. If you offer quality service and you know your profit point stick to your guns. When I go to the grocery store, I can buy hot dogs for under a buck a package too, but they make me gag. I buy the ones I like and pay more for them.

CuttingAbove
02-27-2006, 04:02 PM
What's the average cost depending on open area square feet? Just for a regular cut and trim

Coreyb
02-27-2006, 04:09 PM
$35 to show up. go up from there.

lowballer17
02-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Greed=killer of business.

Cut, edge & trim all for one low price. If you drive around to every site giving estimates just to cut the grass, no wonder you have to charge $35 to park the truck.

I only pass out flyers on blocks where I know I will cut. Houses that I wont cut never get flyers. So when they call I sign them up. Time=$

Coreyb
02-27-2006, 05:34 PM
i don't have to charge $35. i do it for integrity. lowballers hurt the entire industry. keep prices up and everyone make more money.

lowballer17
02-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Be ontime, Cut ontime=integrity

High Prices scare away customers
The more dense your route is, the less gas, time, wear and tear, the higher your profits are per hour.

YardPro
02-27-2006, 08:21 PM
How can you mow, trim, edge, and blow a yard in ten minutes?

we have accounts here that are done in under 10 min.. we have many homes with 500sqft or less of turf.

mow2nd
02-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Why don't you cut the guy some slack. He is just asking a question about stuff we have all heard. Last time I checked cutting grass was a real job. It seems to work well for JustMowIt.
Tom did these people get one of your flyers? If not then they are probably price shopping. I don't care if someone wants to price shop my services but I bid price shoppers a little different because they almost always just want a mow & blow without any extras.

thats all i have to say about that......