PDA

View Full Version : Rates for 2006 season

BDI
02-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Was wondering on rates for grass cutting for this season. I'm thinking 65 to 70 per hour per first man and 55 for each additional. Im in s.e pa and am thinking if this is even enough. Let me know your thoughts.

Precision
02-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Was wondering on rates for grass cutting for this season. I'm thinking 65 to 70 per hour per first man and 55 for each additional. Im in s.e pa and am thinking if this is even enough. Let me know your thoughts.

That will of course depend on your expenses and equipment and resi vs commercial and tons of other things.

Just a question, why make it that complicated. first hour each hour there after. Unless you are breaking the cardinal rule of actually telling that to clients.

Pick a number and use that as your basis, then be done with it.

J&R Landscaping
02-26-2006, 07:02 PM
For my area in S.E. Pa, $50-70 per hour for mowing is what many other LCO's charge. You should be in the ballpark! What city in Pa are you located in?

Flex-Deck
02-26-2006, 08:35 PM

I charge by the acre, or size of lawn, then find equipment that does it efficiently enough to produce $80 per hr. per machine. The customer is going to only pay so much for the size property he has. You can't walk into a factory that has 10 acres, and say "I'll mow your property with a 21" push mower, and it will be $70 per hr.!!" If you are going to charge $70 per hr., you better darn well have a very very very productive big machine.

BDI
02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
For my area in S.E. Pa, $50-70 per hour for mowing is what many other LCO's charge. You should be in the ballpark! What city in Pa are you located in?

We are in Chadds Ford. The 70 per hour rate would be for a 66" lazer z. and the 55-60 rate would be for a walkbehind/trimmer/blower. That means if it took two guys a half hour to cut the property it would be around 65 per half hour. I figure we can mow an acre in about a half hour. I thinking of a new approach this year and billing by the minute for the lawn crew, gate down to gate up. Any thoughts?

Jpocket
02-27-2006, 08:33 PM
We are in Chadds Ford. The 70 per hour rate would be for a 66" lazer z. and the 55-60 rate would be for a walkbehind/trimmer/blower. That means if it took two guys a half hour to cut the property it would be around 65 per half hour. I figure we can mow an acre in about a half hour. I thinking of a new approach this year and billing by the minute for the lawn crew, gate down to gate up. Any thoughts?

DAMN I hope you get work at those prices...Cuz around here a half hour lawn is $30

BDI
02-27-2006, 08:53 PM
DAMN I hope you get work at those prices...Cuz around here a half hour lawn is $30

Why even get out of bed for 30 bucks?

ed2hess
02-27-2006, 08:58 PM
The prices in our area are much like yours.

topsites
02-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Why even get out of bed for 30 bucks?

I heard that!

Minimum charge $35 eliminates a lot of postage stamp and mickey mouse stuff, I found I can't make no real money with that 25-30 dollar stuff, half the time I can't even engage the speed clutch fully before I'm done... I keep getting that feeling of taking a Formula 1 to the Go-kart track: It's not that I can't win the race, it's that I can't get the car out of 2nd gear before I'm around the track, so it's a waste. The same holds true for lawn equipment, it takes 5-10 minutes to load / unload and switch between pieces, so if it only takes 5 minutes to cut the grass, then another 5 to trim and 3 to blow stuff down, I feel like I'm spending more time walking to-from the truck than doing actual work.

Find out what your machine is designed to do... I used to accomodate all types of lawns until I found out my machine was designed for 1/4 acre -to- 1 acre lots, and so now that is what I stick to. Want me to cut that 1/8 acre lot, that's fine but it won't be worth your money because I only do 1/4 acre to 1 acre lots.

crzymow
02-28-2006, 10:09 AM
It is so funny how people hammer others for what they consider to cheap. You can only charge what your market is willing to pay. Of course everyone would love to make $80 an hour, but just isnt the real world. A lot depends on cost of living in certain areas and the economy in those same areas.

jtkplc
02-28-2006, 11:16 AM

That's the way it is for me, also. That's still $60 an hour, I don't understand why someone would stay in bed for that...:confused:

rodneyskip
02-28-2006, 05:32 PM

IT is not a half hour yard for one person- it is a half hour yard with two people. ;)

Flex-Deck
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
It is so funny how people hammer others for what they consider to cheap. You can only charge what your market is willing to pay. Of course everyone would love to make $80 an hour, but just isnt the real world. A lot depends on cost of living in certain areas and the economy in those same areas.

Exactly - I have said over and over, that in a given area, a 10 acre property is going to bring so much, It is up to the LCO to get the equip. that is efficient, so his hourly income is sufficient and satisfactory. That applys in my opinion to small yards as well.

BDI
02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
IT is not a half hour yard for one person- it is a half hour yard with two people. ;)

Right, 60 per hour per person is a start depending on your overhead. For a truck, trailer and mower (ride on or equivlent 8000 machine) 60 per hour for that guy is a break even point in my opinion.

STRINGALATION
03-01-2006, 01:33 AM
I Have Taken The Approach Of Square Footage. I Have 2 21" Mowers 2 Trims 2 Blows 2 Man Crew $15.oo Per 1000 Sq/ft My Over Head Is Almost Non Existant I Pay Us 10 .. Phr Any Imput Or Feed Back From You Pro's Is Welcome And Hoped For

Soupy
03-01-2006, 02:01 AM
I Have Taken The Approach Of Square Footage. I Have 2 21" Mowers 2 Trims 2 Blows 2 Man Crew $15.oo Per 1000 Sq/ft My Over Head Is Almost Non Existant I Pay Us 10 .. Phr Any Imput Or Feed Back From You Pro's Is Welcome And Hoped For

Way to expensive.. You can't possibly expect to get $150+ for a 1/4 acre property.

Best case scenario is you are able to land 2,000 sq. ft properties because of a minimum charge. But as soon as you try to bid a 3,000 sq. ft. property you are going to be way overpriced.

BDI
03-01-2006, 08:12 AM

No way that is possible.

lawn masters 2006
03-01-2006, 08:20 AM
i like to charge 1.00 $ per min....30 min yard 30.00$ an so on....now for clean ups an manaul labor..i get 65$ per hr. an then 35.00 per man on the job.....:usflag:

Jpocket
03-01-2006, 08:37 AM

Okay got ya that's diferent. Yea then it would be $60. The half hour lawn for 1 guy should take just under 20mins. with 2 guys.

Richard Martin
03-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I get from $30 to over $100 per hour for mowing with an average somewhere around $50 and I work solo.

I agree with the others above about not getting $15 per thou. It ain't happening.

On your low overhead statement...

You're another guy who has no clue as to how to run a business or how much it costs to run a business.

Who pays for gas?
Who pays the liability insurance?
Who pays for the vehicles to tote your 21s around?
Who pays for the new mowers?
Who pays to get the taxes done?

There are many, many costs associated with running a lawn service and saying that you only pay yourself and your buddy 10 bucks an hour doesn't even come close to the total overhead.

PGA
03-01-2006, 09:45 AM

Im a solo operator and this is what I charge:

Lawn Mowing

0-5,000 Sq ft $35.00
5 - 10,000 $40.00
10-12,000 $45.00
12-15,000 $50.00
15-20,000 $60.00

Chemical Rates

$30.00 minimum up to 5,000 sq ft

from 5-10,000 its $5 per 1000
10-20,000 $4 per 1000
20-30,000 $3 per 1000
30 and beyond its $2 per 1000

Spring / Fall Cleanups are charged at $60.00 an hour as is bed maint.

Mulch is laid at $80.00 a cubic yard.

I dont really have a set price for gutter cleaning. Just depends on how much there is and how many stories the house is.

PGA
03-01-2006, 09:56 AM
For you guys that are charging a dollar a minute:

What happens when you get to a yard that would normally take 30 mins and you have to double cut it or bag it because its tall and it takes you 45 mins to complete?

Do you jack up the price?

BDI
03-01-2006, 12:36 PM
For you guys that are charging a dollar a minute:

What happens when you get to a yard that would normally take 30 mins and you have to double cut it or bag it because its tall and it takes you 45 mins to complete?

Do you jack up the price?

Thats why i wanna bill per minute this year.

PGA
03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Thats why i wanna bill per minute this year.

Anyway...

So would you have a set price?

What if you are cutting a yard one week and its 25 minutes but the next week it takes 46 and the next week it takes 17...

How do you do your billing?

I doubt a customer would like getting a bill for $25, $46 and $17.

BDI
03-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Anyway...

So would you have a set price?

What if you are cutting a yard one week and its 25 minutes but the next week it takes 46 and the next week it takes 17...

How do you do your billing?

I doubt a customer would like getting a bill for $25, $46 and $17.

Well thats the way i want to sell this year. At 70 per hour i would have a rate of 1.16 per minute and yes the time will vary. If someone is not happy with the service and we have to go back, they are still paying. If they decide the fertilize the crap out of there lawn and we have to double cut its on there time.

BDI
03-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Also the 70 per hour rate would cover travel. Gate up to gate down is what the customer pays but i have travel factored in.

greenpastureslc
03-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Way to expensive.. You can't possibly expect to get $150+ for a 1/4 acre property.

Best case scenario is you are able to land 2,000 sq. ft properties because of a minimum charge. But as soon as you try to bid a 3,000 sq. ft. property you are going to be way overpriced.

I have to agree here. I go with the sqft approach also, but $15 per 1000 sqft is more than 3 times what I charge. I also break it down to how many Lnft I can trim in what amount of time. I don't have the #s in front of me, but estimating a yard this way does earn me $50 to $75 per hour.

PGA
03-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Well thats the way i want to sell this year. At 70 per hour i would have a rate of 1.16 per minute and yes the time will vary. If someone is not happy with the service and we have to go back, they are still paying. If they decide the fertilize the crap out of there lawn and we have to double cut its on there time.

I can understand going spending extra time there because ChemLawn dumped N all over the yard 3 times a month but if they arent happy with the service isnt that YOUR fault?

Why would you charge more to go back and fix something you did wrong or not up to their standard?

If I have to bag a yard I normally dont bag or I have to double cut because they are watering to much I tack on a certain amount depending on the size.

BDI
03-02-2006, 08:52 AM
I can understand going spending extra time there because ChemLawn dumped N all over the yard 3 times a month but if they arent happy with the service isnt that YOUR fault?

Why would you charge more to go back and fix something you did wrong or not up to their standard?

If I have to bag a yard I normally dont bag or I have to double cut because they are watering to much I tack on a certain amount depending on the size.

It all comes down to time. The longer it takes the more it costs. We wouldn't charge more, if they wanted something different and it took longer we get payed for it. There is no extra fee added on this week for tall grass that they can contest. When they sign the contract, they understand there is no set cost.

amvega
03-02-2006, 10:19 AM
I agree with crzymow. If you live in a high end area you can get the big bucks. My area is a pretty low income for pa. We are only able to get about $35-$40 per man hr. The only good thing is that are customer are close to each other. Bad thing is that there is so many scamscapers out there gutting a 1 hr lawn for $20 bucks in the high end development and I always looks like sh**. We manage to keep our customers through service, but most people in our area are looking for the cheap price so they don't have to cut their own grass.

BDI
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree with crzymow. If you live in a high end area you can get the big bucks. My area is a pretty low income for pa. We are only able to get about $35-$40 per man hr. The only good thing is that are customer are close to each other. Bad thing is that there is so many scamscapers out there gutting a 1 hr lawn for $20 bucks in the high end development and I always looks like sh**. We manage to keep our customers through service, but most people in our area are looking for the cheap price so they don't have to cut their own grass.

Very true about cheap people but ther are many who want service an professionalism

STRINGALATION
03-03-2006, 12:31 AM
You Are Correct In The Sense Of All My Properties Pay 40.00 A Cut And They Average 2500 Sq/ft
I Just Bid On A 14,186 My Program Math Came Out To $212.79 Does That Seem High? I Punch In The Numbers I Have Seen 1.50 - 3.00 Sq/ft I Lose Big Time This Prop At 2.00 Per Sq/ft Cus. Pays 28.32

STRINGALATION
03-03-2006, 12:39 AM
I get from $30 to over $100 per hour for mowing with an average somewhere around $50 and I work solo.

I agree with the others above about not getting $15 per thou. It ain't happening.

On your low overhead statement...

You're another guy who has no clue as to how to run a business or how much it costs to run a business.

Who pays for gas?
Who pays the liability insurance?
Who pays for the vehicles to tote your 21s around?
Who pays for the new mowers?
Who pays to get the taxes done?

There are many, many costs associated with running a lawn service and saying that you only pay yourself and your buddy 10 bucks an hour doesn't even come close to the total overhead.
AS I HAVE MADE OBVIOUS I AM NEW. GREAT HELP BUT YOU COULD HAVE WORDED A LITTLE DIFFERENT. I NOTICED GUYS WHO ARE A LITTLE TOO BLUNT AND NEGATIVE AND CLOSED MINDED HAVE 2 TRUCKS 4 MOWS BLAH BLAH BLAH ..IF I THOUGHT I NEW EVERYTHING I WOULD NOT BE ASKING QUESTIONS. NO DUMB QUESTIONS JUST DUMB ANSWERS.

jason_2005lawnman
03-03-2006, 12:45 AM
so you most of you say app $60 a man hour; so what if you have a lot of 45 min average lawns; that includes mowing , weedtrimming, blowing off drive; what would u charge?; they are flat easy lawns; nothing hard about them;

Richard Martin
03-03-2006, 03:14 AM
BUT YOU COULD HAVE WORDED A LITTLE DIFFERENT. I NOTICED GUYS WHO ARE A LITTLE TOO BLUNT AND NEGATIVE AND CLOSED MINDED HAVE 2 TRUCKS 4 MOWS BLAH BLAH BLAH ..IF I THOUGHT I NEW EVERYTHING I WOULD NOT BE ASKING QUESTIONS. NO DUMB QUESTIONS JUST DUMB ANSWERS.

If you had asked a question instead of making a statement you would have gotten a different response from me. You asked for input and feedback and you got it. Now if you would like to ask a question I will be more than glad to give my best answer. You can even PM if you'd like.

BDI
03-03-2006, 09:10 AM
so you most of you say app $60 a man hour; so what if you have a lot of 45 min average lawns; that includes mowing , weedtrimming, blowing off drive; what would u charge?; they are flat easy lawns; nothing hard about them;

I would get a minimum of 45 dollars but closer to 50. I think a $50 minimum is a good number for this year. Why drop the gate and show up?

STRINGALATION
03-03-2006, 09:43 AM
If you had asked a question instead of making a statement you would have gotten a different response from me. You asked for input and feedback and you got it. Now if you would like to ask a question I will be more than glad to give my best answer. You can even PM if you'd like.
REMEMBER IT WAS A STATEMENT BECAUSE IT IS TRUE TO ME AND KNOWN TO ME WHY WOULD I ASK ABOUT WHAT I THOUGHT WAS TRUE. NOT BITTER JUST FORWARD:nono:

Precision
03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
REMEMBER IT WAS A STATEMENT BECAUSE IT IS TRUE TO ME AND KNOWN TO ME WHY WOULD I ASK ABOUT WHAT I THOUGHT WAS TRUE. NOT BITTER JUST FORWARD:nono:

hey genius,

typing in all caps is shouting.

not to mention really annoying to read.

get with the program and you will get better responses.

Kilroy
03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Im a solo operator and this is what I charge:

Lawn Mowing

0-5,000 Sq ft $35.00
5 - 10,000 $40.00
10-12,000 $45.00
12-15,000 $50.00
15-20,000 $60.00Just curious. Do you eyeball for size, actually physically measure a property, or just take the homeowner's word for it when you quote a price? Thanks.

Splicer
03-03-2006, 05:56 PM
How do you measure sq. ftg??

PROCUT1
03-03-2006, 09:07 PM
How do you measure sq. ftg??

Yep boys!!!! Heres your competition. Still wondering why you can still get your half-acre mowed for $20?

STRINGALATION
03-03-2006, 10:24 PM
hey genius,

typing in all caps is shouting.

not to mention really annoying to read.

get with the program and you will get better responses.
I THOUGHT WE WERE ADULTS WHO CARES IF IT'S CAPS
YOU GUYS ARE SO ARROGANT IT IS DEPRESSING THIS WAS
A GREAT SITE BUT ALL YOU PRO'S TREAT THE NEW GUYS LIKE WE ARE STEP CHILDREN WE ARE HERE TO LEARN NOT CRITICIZE EACH OTHER THERE JUST MAYBE SOMETHING EVER SO MINUTE I COULD HELP ONE OF YOU VETERANS WITH DID ALL OF YOU START WITH $15,000.00 IN CREDIT ? IF NOT DO NOT FORGET WERE YOU STARTED:nono:

befnme
03-04-2006, 01:41 AM
bdi ,
i saw under your profile you have " ??? " for your years in business .:confused: make sme wonder why you would post such a thread !!
at any rate your rate for the 2006 season will differ from the guy you are in comp with in your home town it all depends on what your economy will bear 25.00 per hour or 99.00 per hour....

twj721
03-04-2006, 05:35 AM
This is America YOU can charge what you want if you are happy with your price and the area you work out of can stand it and MOST IMPORTANT YOU MAKE A PROFIT! out of the service that you provide Then that is what your rate should be Here In my area we have way to many section 8 people and retires with wal mart mowers in their trucks but I have a 40.00 dollar min and so far I am doing ok but My main bread and butter is the local school district and the local city that I have the residental cutomers are the icing on the cake .