PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Deck/Mower for Wet Grass?

cpel2004
02-26-2006, 08:42 PM
In your professional opinion, what would you consider to be the best, most efficient mower for cutting in thick wet grass (explain why)?

JimLewis
02-26-2006, 08:59 PM
That depends on the size of lawn you are mowing. Are you talking about 2 acres of grass or are you talking about a 2500 sq. ft. lawn?

cpel2004
02-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Avg homeowner from 5k to 2 acres 3-4 inches high and with the morning dew. Is it Exmark, JD, Grasshopper, Hustler.

hardcharger
02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
husler 60' sux in wet stuff . loads up the 23 kawasaki terribly. im sure larger kohler ingines are better . ive tried several blade combos too still not satisfied, not sure an the others,

deereman
02-26-2006, 09:23 PM
That would be the 7-IRON deck from Deere! There deck is just a good deck all around, all one piece deck with no joints. And a non-clumping discharge to go with it!:)

K&L Landscaping
02-26-2006, 09:28 PM
That would be the 7-IRON deck from Deere! There deck is just a good deck all around, all one piece deck with no joints. And a non-clumping discharge to go with it!:)
I agree 100%! The 7-Iron deck is GREAT in thick and wet grass.

Jpocket
02-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Examrk Ultra-Cut, I've cut in down pours all day long and the deck still performs. Im sure the New triton Deck will be even better.

cpel2004
02-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Deereman, obviously we see what mowers your are biased too. Based upon the different manufactures Jd's seemed to be under powered based upon hp to deck ratio. Is the Hp to Deck ratio overated in your opinion? If that's the case choppers should win hands down, but guys compplain all the time about there decks.

cpel2004
02-26-2006, 09:35 PM
husler 60' sux in wet stuff . loads up the 23 kawasaki terribly. im sure larger kohler ingines are better . ive tried several blade combos too still not satisfied, not sure an the others,

Hardcharger, thanks for responding. Manufactures spend alot of money on advertising, why do you think that is. I though the hustler was designed to cut in thick wet grass? Is this untrue? Bottom line would you recommend it to a friend or buy another one?

greengiant9963
02-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I haven't tried everybrand out there but I currently run exmark. Ultracut deck and trivantage deck. They leave a very nice finished cut but are terrible on wet grass. I have tried different blade combos, deck pitch, rpm, etc. Same results clumping and scraping the deck on wet grass. Just bought a John Deere ztrack with the 7 iron deck. I am hoping it will help this spring. The Hustlers new rx-7 deck just came out and is suppose to help in the wet conditions as well.

deereman
02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Cpel2004 Our mowers are in no way shape or form underpowered. We are very happy with there performance in all the different jobs we place them in. And yes I bleed green. I am happy with there quality of cut, quality of craftsmanship that is built into there machines. We love there parts availabilty. there loaner program from our dealer. There trade in value. Need I say more? I could go on and on but I will quit there. The man asked for an opinion and I gave one that is from my heart, and I am sure that is what he wanted . Dont you agree?:)

cpel2004
02-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Jpocket, explain why you like your exmark deck. Although i have never cut with one, but the Exmarks seems to be a flimsy machine by how it looks. i know its stupid but that's mu honest opinion.

gene gls
02-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Everride is favored by some in my area.

Sir mowsalot
02-26-2006, 09:52 PM
I have since sold it, but my dixie chopper was spectacular in wet grass(cutting that is), and that is about the only thing that i miss on it. I have heard from some guys that hated dixies in wet grass, i dunno.

I have since bought the scag wildcat, which i bought in October, so i have not had a chance to cut yet in wet grass with it, we will see soon enough though.

Hey Envy how does that lesco cut in the wet grass?

LwnmwrMan22
02-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Personally, IMO, whatever deck is deep, without any baffles.

Right now I run a Kubota, 28 hp diesel with a 60" deck.

The deck itself is deep, without anything to hinder the grass flow.

My backup mower is a Ferris IS4000, with a 27 hp gas kawasaki, with a 61" deck.

This deck is shallower, about 4.5" deep, with metal that basically surrounds the blade in an attempt to make it something of a mulching machine.

If you look under the deck of the Ferris (a 2002 model), the gap in the baffles for the grass to flow through is about 4-5" wide. This means that all the grass from the far left blade has to pass by the center blade, while being joined with that cut grass, which all has to get past the next 5" wide gap to get to the right hand blade to get trown out with all that grass.

Needless to say, I've only been doing this job for 18 years, but I won't buy another mower that's got baffles under the deck that surround the blades.

It's got to be basically wide open. It only makes sense that if you've got anything that's blocking the grass, that the wet grass is going to stick to it, and therefore shrink that area down even more, which will decrease the airflow / grassflow from the left side of the deck to the right, which means that by the time the grass gets to the right side, it's going about 2 mph, "rolling" out the side of the deck in clumps, OR blowing out like a sticky volcano, travelling 4 times farther than it normally would, usually when you're 20' from a parking lot, and blowing sticky grass all over the cars.

IMO, it doesn't matter what the name of the mower is, you need to get under the deck and look and see what's going to hinder it from moving from the left to the right, and finally out on the grass.

cpel2004
02-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Any Scag or Chopper owners? We spend alot of time and money on our mowers, they look sharp sitting on the sales florr or in magazines, but in everyday conditions they fail us. Why cant manufactures design a better more efficient mowers? Out of all the money we spend. Makes you wonder?

edward hedrick
02-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I have a 52" Toro classic w/b w a 18 koh. w SFS deck cuts wet grass well.

The 44 classic also does well in wet conditions.

cpel2004
02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Sean has done a good job in bring several diff mower manufactures to this forum, why don't we ask them, why they cant make a mower that handles wet grass. All of these mowers cost a small fortune, and every mower cuts fairly well in dry conditions even the ones you can buy a Walmart and Homedepot, that cost a third of the cost. The only guys that have been satisfied is the JD guys.

LwnmwrMan22
02-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Sean has done a good job in bring several diff mower manufactures to this forum, why don't we ask them, why they cant make a mower that handles wet grass. All of these mowers cost a small fortune, and every mower cuts fairly well in dry conditions even the ones you can buy a Walmart and Homedepot, that cost a third of the cost. The only guys that have been satisfied is the JD guys.

That ain't true.

I tried JD... I'd never buy one.

hardcharger
02-27-2006, 12:21 AM
i dont think the hustler ztrs are bad mowers. on the contrary they are exellent in thick dry turf, i have 2 friends i mow 4 around here on ocasion,and i use the 23 horse 60' ztr and it wants to load the engine hard in tall grass these are less than 100.hr macines. not good to lug those kawasaki engines a lot. i reccomend a larger engine for tall wet grass, its your investment take care of it and itll take care of you, i wouldnt buy the 23 horse if you get rough lawns that arent mowed often. more powerful engine combo or another brand, or a smaller cut width , yust my 2 cents worth.

ronniez71
02-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Go with a scag 52in. advantage deck 19kawasaki dual hydro cuts it beautiful every time!!

lawnrangeralaska
02-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Walker 26hp Efi 48" GHS DECK

hardcharger
02-27-2006, 12:45 AM
im in ageement with lawn ranger there, on the walker mowers you cant beat em, on any turf. however from a machine cost standpoint the scag advantage decks are worth the time, and you can tailor to your cutting style. if you didint want to lay out the cash on a walker, then scag advantage is a best bet. no offense to you green blooded types, tc.

cpel2004
02-27-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm not familiar with Walker mowers, i checked out their site, man those mowers look uncomfortable, are you telling me that they are the real deal? What makes them so different. You guys make it seem like they extrememly expensive, can't you justify the cost for the quality of cut?

dirtbikernas
02-27-2006, 05:15 AM
I went by the local lawncare store last week and i was lookin at their new mower decks. i think they were called Triton, the new decks are like 5.5 inches deep and there are 2 adjustment bolts for dry or wet grass. i am wantin to get one of them soon

David Grass
02-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Actually, my Walker SD 52 cuts really nice in wet grass, but they changed the design (I got one of the first) so dont know if that changes the "wet conditions" cut or not. Walker mowers are VERY COMFORTABLE, you have a master forward and all you do is pull barely left or right back with one hand to maneuver, so dont let pics do your "comfort demo".

BESTLAWNCARE
02-27-2006, 09:07 AM
we have to mow wet crabgrass day in and out. we put 60 turf tracer pulley on the 52 turftracer to cut rpm 1/3 and not pack grass in deck, no more problems more engine torque, hope this helps exmark users

CutInEdge Lawn Care
02-27-2006, 09:09 AM
A difference in opinion! Are we talking GRASS or WEEDS? My 05 36" 19hp Z-Cat is awesome when cutting St. Augustine (wet or dry) even in a down pour. Quality of cut drastically drops to 50-60% when cutting wet bahia. Now if your talking soaking wet or very wet weeds, then we have issues. ie: Viney weeds or Broadleaf. Stick to bottom of deck like a little kid eating peanut butter. It will pack the non-dc side so bad I have to get off and scrape a bushel of weeds from under the far left side, other 2 blades are semi clean except where Scag put their little strengthing bracket at dc side. Overall very happy with. I have go in and cut 2ft high grass in the transport mode and then dropped deck according to get grass height down to norm height. Customer was amazed and didnt think could be done. I only had maybe 20 hrs on machine when taking this call and wanted to see how it handled. Was very pleased. My .02cents

CutRight
02-27-2006, 09:33 AM
supposedly the new Triton deck by Exmark is supposed to be good in wet grass. it just came out for 2006 and theyre selling point for it is that its good in the wet stuff.

Green King
02-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Out of all the mowers that I have tried Everide does the best cut in tall wet grass.

Jpocket
02-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Jpocket, explain why you like your exmark deck. Although i have never cut with one, but the Exmarks seems to be a flimsy machine by how it looks. i know its stupid but that's mu honest opinion.

IMHO Examrk makes the most well rounded machine...I own 3 of them and run the everyday during the season. Obviosly you have nver seen one up close, b/c they are some of the most well built mowers out there, except for MAYBE Scag. Plan and simple Exmark machines work, give a quality cut with out Down time. take a look at them at a dealer ship you'll find that they are VERY WELL BUILT.

7 IRON
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I Run A 737 W/60" 7IRON Deck And Cuts Wet Grass Very Well.No Clumping.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Hey Envy how does that lesco cut in the wet grass?

It cuts fan-friggin-tabulous in wet grass and in the rain.
No mess, no scraping.
Even when it's so wet out that clippings cake to the sidewalls.

LwnmwrMan22
02-28-2006, 10:50 PM
No mess, no scraping.

Please remove that picture... I hate that picture... I hate that wet grass look... oh the days... the days are so long.... please remove that picture......

6'7 330
02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
We have Tri-advantage and Ultra-Cut Exmarks and Toro Turbo force decks.The Tri-Advantage tend to plug in wet conditions.The Ultra-cut and the turbo force decks are excellent in wet conditions,with the turbo force shading the Ultra Cut in wet conditions.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Please remove that picture... I hate that picture... I hate that wet grass look... oh the days... the days are so long.... please remove that picture......

LOL... never realized how much I hated scraping decks and how much time it took until I didn't have to do it anymore. I assure you the underside of the mower deck is cleaner than the rest of the mower... LOL...

If memory serves me, that picture was taken a day after logging like 16 hours on the meter of cutting wet grass without touching it. I was trying to force it to it's worst. I put it up to scrape it out, but it didn't even need it.

I ran it until it had flaps of grass hanging down from the lips of the deck.
It was a show...

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
We have Tri-advantage and Ultra-Cut Exmarks and Toro Turbo force decks.The Tri-Advantage tend to plug in wet conditions.The Ultra-cut and the turbo force decks are excellent in wet conditions,with the turbo force shading the Ultra Cut in wet conditions.

I don't doubt that any at all. The eXmarks can't hang with their baffle design.

On the other hand, the Toro Turbo Force baffling appears to be modeled much after the Command Cut System baffling. The difference being the Toro is adjustable and can be opened farther. The spindle placement is also a bit different.... not only in that it has less blade overlap, but it has a different placement design layout as well for the left and right spindle.

Mow N GO 06
02-28-2006, 11:47 PM
No mess, no scraping.

Are you aware that the Cub Cadet Tank and Lesco are the EXACT same machine? Save your money and buy Lesco..."Same dog different leg"

Envy Lawn Service
03-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah, mine is the Lesco.

The Cubs are mostly black with just a little Yellow on the control panels.

But anyways, you are another that realizes Cubs are freakin high in North Carolina!!!
A lot of the dealers are a bit too cocky for their own good too.

I took them down a notch or two and saved a few grand to boot.

Other areas are not like here. Another guy here just bought a 33hp 72" Cub today for $7,400. You couldn't get a 19hp 48" for that here.

Richard Martin
03-01-2006, 05:04 AM
we have to mow wet crabgrass day in and out. we put 60 turf tracer pulley on the 52 turftracer to cut rpm 1/3 and not pack grass in deck, no more problems more engine torque, hope this helps exmark users

Dude, there's some secrets you keep to yourself. You could have just lowered the throttle too!

Sir mowsalot
03-01-2006, 07:17 AM
No mess, no scraping.
Im hoping that our lesco dealer around here gets another shop to sub the warranty, and repairs too. If that ever happens i will go with a lesco. Their guy they use is a real knucklebrain, that is why i didnt go with a lesco last year.
Are you running highlifts on that in the spring?

Precision
03-01-2006, 09:03 AM
A difference in opinion! Are we talking GRASS or WEEDS? My 05 36" 19hp Z-Cat is awesome when cutting St. Augustine (wet or dry) even in a down pour. Quality of cut drastically drops to 50-60% when cutting wet bahia. Now if your talking soaking wet or very wet weeds, then we have issues. ie: Viney weeds or Broadleaf. Stick to bottom of deck like a little kid eating peanut butter. It will pack the non-dc side so bad I have to get off and scrape a bushel of weeds from under the far left side, other 2 blades are semi clean except where Scag put their little strengthing bracket at dc side. Overall very happy with. I have go in and cut 2ft high grass in the transport mode and then dropped deck according to get grass height down to norm height. Customer was amazed and didnt think could be done. I only had maybe 20 hrs on machine when taking this call and wanted to see how it handled. Was very pleased. My .02cents

I agree. I have the same mower and it works great in wet st augustine, but it really sucks on thick wed bahia. I have packed the deck as many as 8 times on 4000 square feet. It was June with the peak Bahia growth. I was cutting of 7 inches (one weeks growth) and it had rained for 2 days straight and was still very wet.

I don't have nearly the problems on thinner (non-fert) bahia, but still some problem.

My gravely PM 260 works wonders on both types. But it is way too big for some lawns.