PDA

View Full Version : anyone using an exmark 26' inch w/bagger

hardcharger
02-26-2006, 09:03 PM
what do you think of your 26'exmark pushmower? i cant decide between snapper 21 bagger or the wider exmark . any thoughts or complaints, isthe6 horse kaw as strong as a briggs, im told the 5.5 honda sux. opinions wanted"

krazyboutit
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
"what do you think of your 26'exmark pushmower? i cant decide between snapper 21 bagger or the wider exmark . any thoughts or complaints, isthe6 horse kaw as strong as a briggs, im told the 5.5 honda sux. opinions wanted"

Funny you ask...I was at my Exmark dealer just this afternoon and noticed a Exmark 26" there on the floor next to the Honda's. I inquired as to whether the mower was for sale and the owner said that this was one of several mowers he had to refund and take back because of "nagging problems" that Exmark pushed it out to the public before the bugs had been worked out. He said most of the issues were little things like drive belt slipping, underpowered and would not even talk about selling it.

FdLLawnMan
03-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes Exmark did make a few mistakes on the Metro 26 when it was first introduced. It mulches like crap, the drive belt does jump off once in a while, it is hard to find the right gear sometimes.
If set correctly the belt does not slip, the engine has plenty of power when bagging, it cuts nice.
If Exmark fixes all the things that I think are wrong I would recommend another one.

Mike Immel
Mike's Total Lawn Care

desert rose gardening
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I had some issues with mine when I first bought it, all fixed under warranty. I like mine and will buy another one when needed. I save about a hour and a half of time a day when I mow with it. Its a good $ maker!

John Gamba
03-07-2006, 11:15 AM
The only Exmarks i would never recommend---The 26 and the xp's. But i do think the new 26 might be better, The xp's are no longer.

If you need a 21" look at toro. I played with one last season and liked it alot. It was not the commercial one but i did like it. It was the personal pace.

dishboy
03-07-2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=John Gamba]The only Exmarks i would never recommend---The 26 and the xp's. But i do think the new 26 might be better, The xp's are no longer.

Unless they changed that thin deck, that mower will never mulch cool season grass IMO. The new Honda is the machine great cut and mulches a storm.

ed2hess
03-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I got the sales pitch at our yearly lawn sale. They have fixed all the problems, so says the salesman. A guy was doing demo in a close area and almost ran over someone because the drive was much stronger than he anticipated. I wouldn't buy one of the units until they are in the field for a couple years. The unit is a big tank, probably heavier than a 32" WB. We bought another Snapper.

joed
03-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I bought an Exmark Metro 26" last May and boy what an irrating adventure it has been. From the time I got it, there have been so many problems. Some of them have included: a leaking engine, a rear height adjuster that would constantly pop out of place, not being able to find 3rd gear, not being able to go up small hills, poorly fitting bag that would cause grass to dump out of it and the list goes on and on. On top of it, the mower can't mulch at all. The slightest growth or anything wet and it's light out, the mower will turn it into wet, sticky clumps. The power is fine, except when mulching. I've been in contact with Exmark since last July...trying to get things resolved but all they keep doing is sending up one update over another and refusing to refund my money by sending me on merry go round from dealer to distributor to them. I understand that the 06 model has been updated but based on my experience, I would not buy a Metro 26" until it has been out for another year or so. Take a look at the Exmark/Toro 21" or the Honda 21" for a better unit. The other annoying item about the 26" is its weight. After trying to handle that thing all day, you will be tired as a dog. At 160 lbs, the unit really needs some sort of turning mechanism. If you want to upgrade to a unit larger than 21"..do yourself a favour and go get a 32" unit.

John Gamba
03-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I bought an Exmark Metro 26" last May and boy what an irrating adventure it has been. From the time I got it, there have been so many problems. Some of them have included: a leaking engine, a rear height adjuster that would constantly pop out of place, not being able to find 3rd gear, not being able to go up small hills, poorly fitting bag that would cause grass to dump out of it and the list goes on and on. On top of it, the mower can't mulch at all. The slightest growth or anything wet and it's light out, the mower will turn it into wet, sticky clumps. The power is fine, except when mulching. I've been in contact with Exmark since last July...trying to get things resolved but all they keep doing is sending up one update over another and refusing to refund my money by sending me on merry go round from dealer to distributor to them. I understand that the 06 model has been updated but based on my experience, I would not buy a Metro 26" until it has been out for another year or so. Take a look at the Exmark/Toro 21" or the Honda 21" for a better unit. The other annoying item about the 26" is its weight. After trying to handle that thing all day, you will be tired as a dog. At 160 lbs, the unit really needs some sort of turning mechanism. If you want to upgrade to a unit larger than 21"..do yourself a favour and go get a 32" unit.

I had the same problem but with a different mower. The problem is even tho you talk to exmark you really need to know they sold the mower to the dis and thay sold it to the dealer the dealer sold it to you.

My dealer at the end bought the mower back from me and kept it, i bought another exmark mower and been happy ever since. What you need to do is get a different dealer who will support you like my dealer did.

John

newz7151
03-07-2006, 10:17 PM
The only Exmarks i would never recommend---The 26 and the xp's. But i do think the new 26 might be better, The xp's are no longer.

2006 Metro 26 Line-Up Changes & Enhancements
–Revised cable and drive bail design improves drive engagement and maximizes cable reliability and life.

–Improved speed shifting - Smoother drive engagement.

–Improved belt guide durability and performance ensures proper belt
alignment, belt life and improves clutching and declutching of drive system.

–Improved durability and performance of front and rear height adjustment systems.

–Change to dryer wrapped deck and drive belts for more reliable engagement.

–Revised fuel tank mounting bracket more compensates for tank expansion.

–Improved mulching performance.

–Improved bag frame fit-up that eliminates blow out around the frame

–Improved gas cap sealing to eliminate gas leakage.

–Improved discharge door clearance provides better sealing or door to engine deck.

Howard Roark
03-07-2006, 11:08 PM
2006 Metro 26 Line-Up Changes & Enhancements
–Revised cable and drive bail design improves drive engagement and maximizes cable reliability and life.

–Improved speed shifting - Smoother drive engagement.

–Improved belt guide durability and performance ensures proper belt
alignment, belt life and improves clutching and declutching of drive system.

–Improved durability and performance of front and rear height adjustment systems.

–Change to dryer wrapped deck and drive belts for more reliable engagement.

–Revised fuel tank mounting bracket more compensates for tank expansion.

–Improved mulching performance.

–Improved bag frame fit-up that eliminates blow out around the frame

–Improved gas cap sealing to eliminate gas leakage.

–Improved discharge door clearance provides better sealing or door to engine deck.

Interesting how all these new modifications don't actually solve the worst problem this machine has....

You will be pushing it up the slightest hill. I don't see an engine change on it, which is the FIRST thing that needs to be addressed.

Improved shifting?? Who gives a crap about that? How about it leaves trails of grass on top of the deck (WITH the mulch kit) and can't get out of it's own way? Oh I forgot, new mulching performance. Uh..yeah..what about that engine change...?

"Improved belt guide durability and performance ensures proper belt
alignment, belt life and improves clutching and declutching of drive system."
This should state "Proper belt alignment that any other manufacturer would have figured out BEFORE putting it into production."
This is like stating that their new and improved mower actually cuts grass, as opposed to the pre-tinkering of it just pushing it over.

Gas leakage? They sent out a recall notice a month after it came out stating a new gasket would solve this. So it was solved last year, before everyone realized how bad this mower was. So their mower doesn't leak gas. This is a selling point?

Save your money on the piece of junk. These design changes will not make this mower effective. It's a boat anchor from start to finish and the engineers from Exmark who thought this would be a good idea should be fired faster than the guy who invented the new Coke back in the 80s.

newz7151
03-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Interesting how all these new modifications don't actually solve the worst problem this machine has....

You will be pushing it up the slightest hill. I don't see an engine change on it, which is the FIRST thing that needs to be addressed.

Improved shifting?? Who gives a crap about that? How about it leaves trails of grass on top of the deck (WITH the mulch kit) and can't get out of it's own way? Oh I forgot, new mulching performance. Uh..yeah..what about that engine change...?

"Improved belt guide durability and performance ensures proper belt
alignment, belt life and improves clutching and declutching of drive system."
This should state "Proper belt alignment that any other manufacturer would have figured out BEFORE putting it into production."
This is like stating that their new and improved mower actually cuts grass, as opposed to the pre-tinkering of it just pushing it over.

Gas leakage? They sent out a recall notice a month after it came out stating a new gasket would solve this. So it was solved last year, before everyone realized how bad this mower was. So their mower doesn't leak gas. This is a selling point?

Save your money on the piece of junk. These design changes will not make this mower effective. It's a boat anchor from start to finish and the engineers from Exmark who thought this would be a good idea should be fired faster than the guy who invented the new Coke back in the 80s.

You know.. what I find strange.. about this whole thread, is that I've read where other posts on Lawnsite have been pulled entirely when they were dumping heavily on a sponsor's product.. yet the eXmark bashing is allowed to continue. Makes me wonder sometimes why they stick around where they are seemingly not wanted.

dishboy
03-08-2006, 01:54 AM
You know.. what I find strange.. about this whole thread, is that I've read where other posts on Lawnsite have been pulled entirely when they were dumping heavily on a sponsor's product.. yet the eXmark bashing is allowed to continue. Makes me wonder sometimes why they stick around where they are seemingly not wanted.

They did leave, but it's good they are back.

As far as bashing, not..... how about just telling it like it is. Exmark really dropped the ball on the twenty sick, what engineer can't figure out that trying to stuff 26 inches of blade into a three inch wind tunnel isn't going to create a velocity problem for mulching. Bad design , did they fix it?
You will notice in the revised edition, they claim improved mulching, not that the mower actually mulches well! I kick myself for buying sight unseen. Kudos to Exmark for refunding my money. Actually it was my shop wanted to see that mower go as nuch as me, it was one big headache for them.

John Gamba
03-08-2006, 07:29 AM
. Makes me wonder sometimes why they stick around where they are seemingly not wanted.

Exmark been here before you and will be here when you are gone. They are number one in the mower making world.

Prove your statement:laugh: that there not wanted here:weightlifter:

DixieFerris
03-08-2006, 09:16 AM
That 26" is a heavy waste of space. The deck size is just about the only good idea that goes with that machine.

John Gamba
03-08-2006, 09:24 AM
That 26" is a heavy waste of space. The deck size is just about the only good idea that goes with that machine.

Very correct statement

John Gamba
03-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Makes me wonder sometimes why they stick around where they are seemingly not wanted.

Please explain:weightlifter:

puregreen345
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
how much is this mower?

John Gamba
03-08-2006, 06:56 PM
how much is this mower?

The 26----

newz7151
03-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Please explain:weightlifter:

who are you talking to, and what is the part number on that banner?

Howard Roark
03-09-2006, 01:16 AM
First off....to John..... BARF! :)

Secondly, I stand by my above post and more regarding my opinion of the 26 Exmark Metro. However, I do need to add one thing, and that is:

Mid season I was ready to ram this machine down an Exmark sales rep's throat. Late in the season, however, I was informed they were taking the machine back with a refund. I do give them credit for this.
I wish to be fair in my posts, and I mistakenly left this out. I do stand corrected.

As I've stated before regarding this machine......I'm like Fox Moulder. I WANT to believe. If they get this machine to cut like the 21 proline I'm off to the races with it. And I'll be the first to post on lawnsite.com on how great it is.

That is, provided it is indeed great. If not at least we have banner boy to cheer us on. :dancing:

John Gamba
03-09-2006, 07:50 AM
who are you talking to, and what is the part number on that banner?

You say exmarks not wanted

John Gamba
03-09-2006, 07:51 AM
First off....to John..... BARF! :)

Secondly, I stand by my above post and more regarding my opinion of the 26 Exmark Metro. However, I do need to add one thing, and that is:

Mid season I was ready to ram this machine down an Exmark sales rep's throat. Late in the season, however, I was informed they were taking the machine back with a refund. I do give them credit for this.
I wish to be fair in my posts, and I mistakenly left this out. I do stand corrected.

As I've stated before regarding this machine......I'm like Fox Moulder. I WANT to believe. If they get this machine to cut like the 21 proline I'm off to the races with it. And I'll be the first to post on lawnsite.com on how great it is.

That is, provided it is indeed great. If not at least we have banner boy to cheer us on. :dancing:

I agree about the 26. But everything else they do is great:clapping:

Ralph Leach
04-08-2006, 03:11 PM
So am I better off using my Toro 21 personal pace for another season and waiting for the kinks to be fixed on the 26? I priced a M 26 today and its $1350. It sounds like alot of $ for the problems.

boxsky
05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
How do the Encore 26" compare to the Metro26?