PDA

View Full Version : MATCHING OLD CONCRETE TO NEW

greens1
04-20-2001, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I have a customer who needs a couple of driveway slabs replaced, this is part of a larger project. He wants the older slabs, 10 yrs old, which have some rust stains and have simply aged to be resurfaced to match the new concrete and then have the drive sealed. I was wondering if sandblasting or an acid wash would give a new appearance to the older slabs. If anyone has any knowlege of a product or process which will give me the effect I am looking for please let me know.

Thanks,
Jim L

FIREMAN
04-20-2001, 07:48 PM
I'm uncertain about the name of the product or the technique but I have seen an expoxy overlay done on cementt and asphalt, can be made to look like pavers or any other design, sorry I could not be more help..

greens1
04-20-2001, 10:34 PM
Thank's fireman,

I believe you may be refering to decorative concrete where a release agent is used to color the concrete then a rubber stamp is used, along with a hand tamper, to imprint a pattern.

What I am really looking to do is make the old cement look like new, so that when I pour the 2 new slabs they will match the rest of the drive.

One word of warning about decorative concrete. In the instances where I have seen it used there seemed to be a decrease in durability of the concrete.

Thanks,
Jim L

eskals
04-20-2001, 11:21 PM
I believe there is an epoxy system like Fireman talks about. Unfortunately, I don't have the name either.

My experiences are that you will never get the new to match with the old. I suspose that you could try a concrete dye, but I don;t know how well that will work.

Eric

Guido
04-21-2001, 04:39 AM
You'll never get the old concrete to look that brand new whitish color again. You can try Muratic acid or sand blasting like I suggested in a post in the lawn care forum yesterday, but you will never get it to look that good.

Your best bet is to dye the new slabs to match the old. It would be a lot easier to do it that way.

As far as sealers there are billions of them out there. Go to your nearest rock/asphalt/concrete plant and they should be able to help you out on whats available locally for you.

Hope this helps!

paul
04-22-2001, 11:38 AM
Sand blasting won't work, Eching with Muradic acid might take out some stains but it won't look like the new concrete. Problems with sand blasting, you are opening up the concrete to water and salt damage. One thing you might try is a paver cleaner and power washing it after, it will lighten it up some and remove th heavier dirt, bringing the color closer to new.

greens1
04-22-2001, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys,
I believe I will try the powerwashing. I was afraid that sandblasting would create problems or damage the concrete, but the customer requested that I look into it.

Thanks,
Jim L

lawnboykb
04-27-2001, 09:42 PM
Ok here is an OLD trick....after the job is done clean the old drive as best as you can, get some mortar and mix it real thin. Then brush it on real light the drive will look just like new. The best part is that after a number of years it can be done over and over. But you can only put it on REAL light. One other thing that works well is straight bleach, just pour it on and let it dry.

smalltime
04-27-2001, 09:59 PM
Have you been introduced to the wonders or is it wanders of TSP? That is Tri-sodium Phosphate? If it can make old wood look, near new, it should come close on concrete when coupled with a stiff brush and a power washer.

Steve

greens1
04-27-2001, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the help. What I ended up useing is a heated 3500 psi tow behind pressure washer with a chemical feed, I used concentrated cleaner/degreaser. It worked great. I will have to try skim coating with morter sometime, I would like to try a test area before I do a customers drive though.

Thanks,
Jim L

BRL
04-29-2001, 09:50 PM
If it is a high traffic or vehicle area you could switch the mortar for High Bond Concrete. This will make it adhere to the old concrete better and it is stronger than mortar.

lawnboykb
05-01-2001, 07:58 PM
Hay greens1 I'm not far from you...I work over at Metro Beach

tilly
05-05-2001, 09:48 PM
It' probably alot cheaper and less stressful for you and the customer to replace the whole thing. Uless your talking 1 or to yards of patching.