PDA

View Full Version : NWF New Business Tractor Work, etc

sloppyjoe
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
I have read your forum with much interest. Here is my story- I am a 20 year computer guy and am burnt out. I spent much of my youth doing gardening / nurseries / landscape work. I am thinking of buying a suitable dump trailer and a tractor with a front end loader, bush hog, disk and box blade. I already own an old 83 dodge 1 tone to pull it with. I would like to develop a relationship with some of the local home builders and nurseries to do clean up leveling and landscaping. I could also advertise to do bus hog & general tractor work for individuals. My goal would be to work indipendently for a while then work into a land clearing/ landscaping business. I am located in north west Florida.

I don't mind being out doors & I don't mind working hard.
Is their good money in this?
What are the risks?
What insurance & licenses should I carry?
Thanks

PMLAWN
02-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Call the builders and contractors that you plan to work for and ask if they are needing or if they already have 200 guys knocking at their door.

sloppyjoe
02-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Good idea. Does anyone knnow about licensing & insurance neeeds in Florida?
Wouold a business license be enough or does it require some type of contractor license?
How much liability insurance for a setup like this?

PMLAWN
02-27-2006, 08:25 AM
If you are truly looking at investing 50-100K on equipment I think you need a good business plan. To get the answers you need you should start calling Insurance agents, Accountants, and the local Goverment people.
Than do a survey of how many others are doing it and and what type of money is moving in the field.

sloppyjoe
02-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I was thinking more in the 15-20K range and get my feet wet in the afternoon and the weekends then see where it went. A business plan makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

PMLAWN
02-28-2006, 06:24 AM
I was thinking more in the 15-20K range and get my feet wet in the afternoon and the weekends then see where it went. A business plan makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

Why not try to sell a job or 2 and rent the equipment. Try things out a little.