PDA

View Full Version : Loading machine on trailer

treadlite
02-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I've got an ASV RC 30 and a komatsu PC 15 mini X that I have to load on the same trailer (18 foot, 12,000 gvw, tandem axle,8 bolt 16 inch load range E tires, standard flatdeck, not deck over wheels) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to load the equipment so that the trailer is balanced reasonably well. I've loaded the ASV driving on backwards and unloading forwards, but I think it will balance better if I load the ASV forward and unload it backwards..... but I'm not sure how safe this is, whether the ASV is stable enough to back off the trailer with out flipping over backwards when it breaks over off the trailer and onto the ramps.... any comments/suggestions??? thanks:canadaflag:

Scag48
02-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, you'll know if it'll flip over backwards when you're driving forward up the ramps to load. I can make it up our tiltbed with a bucket, but without anything on the plate the nose jumps for the sky. Our tiltbed has a 3 foot beavertail and as soon as the front tire reaches the vertex that sucker jumps!

ksss
02-27-2006, 02:34 AM
Some things to think about. Your trailer rating is probably gross weight. I am not sure what the ASV and the Komatsu weigh. You'll want to subtract the weight of your trailer from you 12K gross rating, that is your net capacity. You'll want to be sure that the equipment and attachments don't go over that. I don't think that I caught if this was a gooseneck trailer or a bumper pull. If it is a bumper pull I am sure you will exceed your tongue weight as you don't have a lot of room to spread the equipment over the trailer axles. I have a 31' gooseneck 24K that I put a 70XT on (7K) first, I drive it up going forward. I then load the TK53 (12K) on next and any attachments. It is a full load but it works well. Much easier than making two trips.

tylermckee
02-27-2006, 03:09 AM
From what i read online the rc30 is around 3,000, and the mini is around 3,800, if thats correct he should be okay. like scag said if you dont tip the machine when loading it should be fine backing down, just gotta try.

Scag48
02-27-2006, 03:17 AM
ksss-Is your ramp angle pretty shallow? I would be freaked out if I had to run our 216 going forward up onto our deckover gooseneck, it's bad enough backing it up the beavertail. Thankfully we have a tiltbed now, much safer. I'm curious to know what your setup is like.

gammon landscaping
02-27-2006, 04:13 AM
guys i've got a 24 foot goosneck deck over and i always drive it on the trailer. i here alot of guy get scared by this but i have never had any problems,except when doing it with out a bucket. the idea of backing on the trailer is odd to me cause when you drive on it you can line it up correctly then backing off is just a straight shot. but if i try to back on the trailer i have no idea where the ramps are.

about the main post on this form, i would back the skid on so that you can pull the excavator up to the bucket on the skid and put the boom to the rear that away if you are tight on space you can let the boom hang over the end

treadlite
02-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the replys guys!! As for the overall weight, the ASV is about 3100 and the komatsu is about 3500. I figure the trailer weighs about 2000, so that adds up to 8600. Add on another 2000 for attachments and misc. brings me to 10600.... still well below the 12K gross. I've loaded the ASV on backwards, then the excavator. I rotate the house of the excavator 90 degrees and then swing the boom to the 90 degree position and set the bucket down beside the ASV.
Using this loading configuration everything fits on the deck nicely with nothing overhanging the back. My only concern is whether there is too much weight forward on the trailer. I think the ASV like all skidsteers is weight biased to the rear, so if I drive it on forwards, the weight will be more to the rear of the trailer and over the axles. It is a bumper pull trailer, and I have a weight distributing hitch assembly available..... what do you guys think, should I install this??? Thanks

ksss
02-27-2006, 08:30 PM
I still think that your exceeding the tongue load on the trailer. To be able to park two machines on a 18' trailer one of those machines is going to be well forward of the trailer axles. I would like to see a picture of the equipment loaded on the trailer. I would put anything on the trailer that would help keep it under control. Skag. I don't park anything on top of the gooseneck. It all sits on the main deck. It is a dovetail with fold down ramps.

RockSet N' Grade
03-05-2006, 10:08 AM
KSSS is hitting on a real point.....tongue weight. That is the real key here.....hate to see you loose the whole trailer by it breaking off the back of your towing rig. Make sure all your bolts on hitch to truck frame are grade 7 or better with aircraft locking nuts. Watching your equipment pass you on the freeway would not be a pretty picture.......what load rated tires do you have on your tow rig? That's important also......load range E is what we use as a minimum on our pick-ups, if we use pick-ups at all.

Scag48
03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Ksss, I know that. Hahaha. It would be tough to get anything but maybe one attachment on top of a gooseneck mainframe. I will post a pic of the beavertail on our gooseneck, the angle is so steep I don't know if I could even go forward up the ramps without the machine flipping over backwards, even with a bucket on. Our Harley is pretty heavy, it would hold the front end down, but backing down those ramps would have to be scary as hell, so we always back onto the trailer.

ksss
03-05-2006, 01:18 PM
You know it got me thinking though. It would look cool as hell parking a skid steer on top going down the road. Probably wouldn't want to go through a drive thru like that but it would look cool.

twj721
03-05-2006, 02:02 PM
to me a good rule of thumb is heavy end higher than lwer light weight end We ahve a NH TN 75 4 wheel drive tractor and a 7 ft Rhino Tw 84 brush hog and we load it frontwards but when you get top top of ramp and hit the bed of the trailer the front end almost all the time comes off the ground so we load it up backwards to stop this from happening

treadlite
03-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't think that tongue weight should be an issue.... with the ASV on the front of the trailer and stretching back over the axles, then the komatsu behind the axles should counterbalance the tongue weight somewhat. If you think about loading a trailer full of dirt or pipe, the same thing happens, the weight behind the axles tends to counter balance the weight ahead of the axles. A properly designed trailer should help this out as well with the axle placement. We all know that it's best to place the load over the axles when possible, and that if you put too much load over the back of the trailer can cause problems too. I guess I'll just have to experiment with the loading and see what works best. I've decided to use the equalizer setup for highway and longer trip use just to be safe. As for the tires on the truck, they're load range E as well with the truck being a ford SRW one ton. I'll also have to try and load the ASV on forwards as well and see what happens when I try to back it off......( maybe a chain to the front of the trailer off the bucket just in case!!:eek:)