PDA

View Full Version : 99 F250 Power Stroke not starting

nlminc
02-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Just hit 150,000 miles. Cranks over and sounds like it wants to go. Is it time for glow plugs? Batteries are almost new.

NewImageLawn&Landscape
02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Have you replaced your cam position sensor at all? These things are notorious for them. On fordparts.com they are $103.19. On ebay you can find one anywhere from $50-100. Takes about 15 minutes to install.

lwcmattlifter
02-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Will the truck start if you plug in the engine heater? If yes look at your glow plug relay and glow plugs.

How many rpm does the tach read when you are cranking the engine? If the answer is 0 you need a CPS.

nlminc
02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I pluged the truck in for 2 hours. It started ran rough and when I shut it down and restarted it again there was hesitation. I just brought it in to the dealer so we'll see what they say. The service advisor said it may be the glow plug relay.

nlminc
02-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Dealer just called. They found the relay and 3 glow plugs out. To replace the relay and all of the plugs it will cost me $940.00.:cry: With a couple of other oil leaks I want to have repaired I'm looking at $1,405.80. :cry: :cry: :cry:

NewImageLawn&Landscape
02-27-2006, 04:10 PM
If you have any mechanical ability just do it yourself, save yourself some $$$$

fastg60
02-27-2006, 04:10 PM
that's outrageous for the glow plugs and relay!!! how much labor are they charging? what price did they give you for each plug, they're only about $10/ea at the auto parts store!?!?

NewImageLawn&Landscape
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
From ford the glow plug relay is $100 and the glow plugs are $10 each , cheap and easy fix. I wish i lived closer, i have 2 glow plug relays i got off ebay brand new, $30 each.

nlminc
02-27-2006, 04:31 PM
If you have any mechanical ability just do it yourself, save yourself some $$$$

I usually do all of my maintenance. What's involved in changing the plugs? Where could I get the info?

that's outrageous for the glow plugs and relay!!! how much labor are they charging? what price did they give you for each plug, they're only about $10/ea at the auto parts store!?!?

They say the plugs are $25.00 each and the relay is 97.00. Relay is 97/part 135/labor
Plugs 25/part and 445/labor
I told him to hold off on the glow plugs and relay. Now he's telling me he can work with me a little on the price! ;-) But not much. Also told me the Advanced Auto parts quote I got on the plugs for $9.98 each are no good compared to his(ford) and they will not last. Blaaa blaa bla...

TWUllc
02-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Dealers at their finest. Gotta love'em.

nlminc
02-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I forgot, that $445.00 was 5 hours labor to replace the plugs.

I'm performing a search on google to find out how to replace them.

lwcmattlifter
02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
It's not hard to replace the plugs but don't use the cheap autolite glow plugs. If you want to save some $$ get a glow plug relay from an older IDI or 7.3. Go to Napa and ask for a GPR109. The last one I bought was about $15-$20, and they will work on all 7.3 engines.

nlminc
02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I was just told I have to take the turbo, valve covers and a lot of other parts off to replace the plugs. True? If so, I guess I should have someone else mess with it.

lwcmattlifter
02-27-2006, 06:45 PM
You don't have to pull the turbo. You need to remove the air cleaner assembly from the air box to the turbo. The intercooler pipes need to be moved out of the way enough that the valve covers can lift up and out. Your probably going to have to remove them all together. While you have the valve covers off, look closely at the wiring harness under the covers and the connection points. If any wires look burnt, replace them now so you don't have to pull the covers again later on. You'll need a deep 10mm (I think) to loosen the glow plugs. You can't completely remove the plug with the socket because as you back the plug out the rim of the socket will hit catch on the injector or rocker arm. The easiest way to do this is to break the plugs loose and put a small piece of vacuuuum hose over the ends, twist the hose and out they come. Installation is the same way. It may take a while at first but once you get good at it, the whole job can be done in a about an hour with 2 people.

Koster Landscape
02-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Good post guy's . Yes, in my 7.3 F 350 it is easy to change plugs. The power stroke 7.3 I have not attempted because you have to pull the valve covers off and very hard to get too. These diesel mechanics charge more per hour than we get for a tractor and operator:cry: :cry: Remember your fuel filters too guys!!

Gilla Gorilla
02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
LWC is correct dont buy those junk glow plugs from aftermarket parts stores. I have seen the aftermarket plugs go anyware from 10k to 20k miles and the Ford plugs will last you around 100k if not more. Also you have to be wary of one or more of the plugs being frozen in the cylinder heads, that can turn a quick job in your garage into a quick trip and costly trip on the back or a wrecker to the dealership.

Good luck if you do it by yourself. Also if you do it by yourself the very back 13mm bolt on against the firewall for the valve covers needs to have a swivel or universal attached to the socket and it is still tight going out and back in.

efaubert1
02-28-2006, 10:20 AM
NAPA sells the relay for $24 bucks, and if his Ford glow plugs are so great, why do you need three new ones? Also, go to an International/Navistar Dealer and price the glow plugs, as they are ususally much cheaper than Ford. Replacing them yourself isn't that bad and for $445 bucks I can afford to buy some more replacement parts down the road.

lawnmaniac883
02-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Wow, whata PITA replacing plugs is in that engine...I guess all powerstrokes are the same; i.e. removing valve covers? I helped a guy that was doing some work next door with his 7.3 IDI, starter went out because glow plugs werent working. Starters dont like being cranked for 1:30 continous lol. But on the IDI, the glow plugs are almost like spark plugs in there, easy to reach and replace. While you are in there, you might as well replace them all. This job wont be too bad if you are mechanically inclined. If not, then you may want to let the dealer do it...

lwcmattlifter
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
NAPA sells the relay for $24 bucks, and if his Ford glow plugs are so great, why do you need three new ones? Also, go to an International/Navistar Dealer and price the glow plugs, as they are ususally much cheaper than Ford.

His truck has 150k miles. How long do you expect glow plugs to last? International and Ford are all the same BERU plugs. The price difference is minimal. Most glow plugs are in the $10-12 range. Just don't buy the cheap ones. The autolites and champion plugs have a habit of swelling and not burning off carbon deposits causing them to get stuck in the cylinder head.

Grassmechanic
02-28-2006, 04:25 PM
God, this thread brings back bad memories. Without fail, every year at least one of our three Ford diesels had starting issues in the winter due to relays and glow plugs. I got so sick and tired of it that I went to a cummins engine and have never had a problem starting in the winter, even to minus 10 and not plugging it in. I'm surprised Navistar hasn't dummied up to something better than a glow plug.:hammerhead:

lawnmaniac883
02-28-2006, 08:22 PM
God, this thread brings back bad memories. Without fail, every year at least one of our three Ford diesels had starting issues in the winter due to relays and glow plugs. I got so sick and tired of it that I went to a cummins engine and have never had a problem starting in the winter, even to minus 10 and not plugging it in. I'm surprised Navistar hasn't dummied up to something better than a glow plug.:hammerhead:

Naw, Navistar is afraid to admit that glowplugs are outdated. Gotta love the grid heaters on a I6 Cummins :cool2: :cool2:

Koster Landscape
02-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Tell us more about a grid heater? Thanks

Guthrie&Co
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
a grid heater is a small grid on the intake side. it super heats the air before its sent into the chambers

lawnmaniac883
02-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Instead of waiting (hoping) for the glow plugs to heat up, cummins utilizes a grid heater. Working much like hair dryer coils at an exponentially increased wattage grid heaters as stated above superheat the intake air. Much more reliable and efficient system of starting IMO

stroker51
02-28-2006, 10:18 PM
I've been needing to replace my GP's for a year, basically since I bought my truck, but need to replace the wiring harness going into valve covers too, so I think i will just keep no pluggin her in for a while yet. Listen to the guys who say to not buy cheap glow plugs, a buddy of mine bought an IDI recently with brand-new autolite glowplugs, 3K miles and 6 months later, JUNK! Whether you get then from Ford or International/Navistar is up to you, but get the real thing. As far as service on the engine, I would try to get International to do it, my uncle is a tech for them around here, so mine will probably never see a Ford shop if I can help it, JMO.