PDA

View Full Version : Too early for preemergence or not?

FLC
02-27-2006, 10:46 AM
I am located in central Ohio, and I am thinking that I might start my granular preemergence for crabgrass the week of March 6 or March 13. Is this too early, or should I wait more towards the middle or end of March. I don't have alot of accounts, 1 days worth of work, so trying to get them all done before it is too warm is not a factor. I also have some yards that will need to be limed this year. Can this be done at the same time I apply the preemergence, or should there be some time between applications. Thanks.

crzymow
02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
are you putting down a split application? if not id wait, Im in northwest pa up near lake erie, im not putting my Pre-M app until mid april depending on the weather of course. The later you can wait the better control you will have for the whole summer. Check with your extention office, they can help you out.

philk17088
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
It depends on the material you plan to use. The residual of some of the materials is about 10-12 weeks. Crabgrass germination starts when soil temps are in the 50-55 degree range. Crabgrass germination can be delayed bya dry spring also. If you go to early the material will be broken down considerably while crabgrass is still germianting. If you have a small number of accounts to do I would wait until the first or second week of April.

indyturf
02-27-2006, 12:49 PM
if you don't have too many lawns to do you can wait a few weeks, I'm starting tomorrow but it will take me 6 weeks to get through all my customers. I always like to finish up before April 15th.

kyles974
02-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Put down two apps of pre and no worries!:headphones:

crzymow
02-27-2006, 04:03 PM
that is definitly a way to make more money

The mayor
02-27-2006, 04:06 PM
You need to go by ground temps not dates.