PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Moles

Rayholio
02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I just spent the weekend at a home show, which has worked wonders for my business. But it seemed that over 2-3rds of my questions were reguarding moles! I need to get into trapping.

I've been to the mole mans web site, and it's GREAT. but he doesn't really seem to cover it from an applicators point of view.

What can you guys tell me about trapping moles? Do you have a favorite trap? Is there a special license required? any information could be helpful.

Thanks,
RayHoli0

indyturf
02-27-2006, 01:56 PM
the harpoon traps work the best. but I would check into Talprid, its a new mole bait that works good. and they offer free advertising support materials. you may need to check with your state its kind of a grey area but in Indiana we need a 7a certification to do mole control.

Rayholio
02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
I have looked, and can't seem to find a main talprid web site... It looks interesting though.

Runner
02-27-2006, 02:24 PM
You may want to look up Bell Labratories. Here it is....
http://www.belllabs.com/talpirid/

gqnine44
02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I, like the mole man, do not believe in baits. New mole baits come out every few years and at first everyone thinks it is great. Then time goes on and people begin to quietly realize the baits do not work and the "results" they are seeing are just the result of moles moving deeper or leaving the area to seek out more food. You can find scientific evidence backing any mole bait, however, these scientists are bought and paid for. I have read no University study on moles that suggest anything other than trapping. When the do mention baits they are speculative at best.

Besides, Talpirid is expensive and you cant show customers the dead moles. I can buy 4 traps, set them, and have 2-4 dead moles to show a customer in just 1 or 2 days. Trapping is so easy and cheap why would you waste time with baits that probably aren't working? Mole trapping is high profit business and it is enjoyable.

If I were you, I would go to: http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp and buy 7-10 Victor Out-O-sight traps and 2-5 Victor Spear Traps or the Easy Set Mole Eliminator Traps (very good but kind of pricey) and get the book they show for $6.95 and study mole behavior. When you get the traps go to a favorite customers house who has lots of moles and practice for free. I can almost guarantee you will be killing moles by the weekend (at long as the ground isn't frozen).

Moles will be very active within the next few weeks as they begin looking for mates. Use this time to help your customers and make some high profit cash.

Kilroy
02-27-2006, 05:52 PM
...buy 7-10 Victor Out-O-sight traps and 2-5 Victor Spear Traps or the Easy Set Mole Eliminator Traps...I have 8 Victor Spear Traps: 6 that I purchased back in 1995 and 2 really old ones that someone gave me. They are heavy duty, well made, and work very well. I kill lots of moles. A few years ago, I bought several more Victor Spear Traps without opening the boxes. Got them home: they were junk. Flimsy metal, the tines were extruded, springs didn't have the strength of an ink pen spring. Was able to return all of them but 2 that I'd tried in the ground. Made 1 frankenstein trap out of these 2; it has never killed a mole. No experience with the other style traps. HTH.

gqnine44
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
I have 8 Victor Spear Traps: 6 that I purchased back in 1995 and 2 really old ones that someone gave me. They are heavy duty, well made, and work very well. I kill lots of moles. A few years ago, I bought several more Victor Spear Traps without opening the boxes. Got them home: they were junk. Flimsy metal, the tines were extruded, springs didn't have the strength of an ink pen spring.

I agree the new ones are not even close to quality of the old ones. That is why I like the Easy Set Mole Eliminators for the surface tunnels but they are pretty expensive. Victor's Out O' Sight traps are still good though for the deep runs.

Rayholio
02-27-2006, 08:42 PM
so should I even waste my money on the new ones? I don't mind paying extra for quality. This is my livelyhood

indyturf
02-27-2006, 08:44 PM
do you charge per dead mole? or do you have a set fee to monitor the property for a specific length of time.

gqnine44
02-27-2006, 09:14 PM
do you charge per dead mole? or do you have a set fee to monitor the property for a specific length of time.

I do it by the mole. I think this is good for existing clients. I charge the most for the first mole and then have a scale that decreases as the kills go up. I tell them that if we dont kill anything then they dont pay anything. This way people dont freak out about per mole pricing and think they will owe me thousands if I kill 50 moles. However, there are lots of other guys who despise per mole pricing and insist on contracts. We simply do it as an add-on service and not a stand alone business.

indyturf
02-27-2006, 09:35 PM
what is a good per mole price? I'm wanting to try adding mole control to my business. I was considering trying talprid but was a little worried about it working and being consistent. because like you said new stuff comes on the market every few years and it never works. I will say I have heard good things about talprid and talked last week with one of their reps and was impressed. I think most customers would be more satisfied if you can show them the dead mole, especially since in most cases after you trap the mole's in the lawn its just a matter of time before new ones move in!

Rayholio
02-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Where I live, the only mole guy charges $100 set-up +$100 per mole trapped.. seems high to me.. but how does that compare to your rates? (If I may ask)

rodneyskip
03-02-2006, 03:23 AM
I am interested in knowing what to charge as well. We are moving to ky and this evening the realty lady called and she mentioned that if I could kill moles i could have all the business that I wanted.

Thanks for any input.

Kilroy
03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Some of my customers who've used mole killing services have told me they had to sign a yearly contract, had to pay $200 to $250 up front, and then a flat $50 per visit. At first, I thought this was outrageous, but upon further reflection, if somebody's got moles, doesn't know how to get rid of them, then it might not be a bad deal. Cheaper than replacing the lawn. BTW, in regard to using just spear traps to kill moles which I do, I don't know if I'd charge by the mole. From personal experience, I know I can kill a mole and many times not have a body. Often, the mole can be mortally wounded yet wriggle off the tines, and escape. Dead mole, but no body. I just guarantee to get rid of moles, not give a body count.

Rayholio
03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
sounds logical..

rodneyskip
05-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I do it by the mole. I think this is good for existing clients. I charge the most for the first mole and then have a scale that decreases as the kills go up. I tell them that if we dont kill anything then they dont pay anything. This way people dont freak out about per mole pricing and think they will owe me thousands if I kill 50 moles. However, there are lots of other guys who despise per mole pricing and insist on contracts. We simply do it as an add-on service and not a stand alone business.

Good idea on the sliding pay scale. I was thinking the same thing. Can you enlighten us to your scale?

Let-it-mow!
05-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Talpirid!

I'm a believer. We trapped for several years on a large athletic field site. Constant complaints and I looked like I didn't know what to do about it. Actually, I didn't. County extension agent had no advise other than to trap and the damage was bad. Some fields looked like they had just had an irrigation system installed from all the trails. Games were being moved around because the fields were so bad.

Two applications of Talpirid this year and the complaints are gone.

I keep it on my truck and will put in a couple of baits whenever I see a trail but instead of seeing hundreds of trails, now I occasionally see one.

I agree that baits don't work. But get the information kit from Bell Labs and read it. The stuff works. And I don't work for them.

Ron95gt
05-15-2006, 05:26 PM
If I may ask a question here?? Do the moles up and leave after an amount of time? Or once they are there, they multiply and never leave until you "rub em out"? I have 5 acres that is probably an acre of zoysia and St. "A" transpants, so 4 acres are just field weeds. So, they are not really pissing me off too bad yet. Thanks.

gqnine44
05-15-2006, 09:27 PM
If I may ask a question here?? Do the moles up and leave after an amount of time? Or once they are there, they multiply and never leave until you "rub em out"? I have 5 acres that is probably an acre of zoysia and St. "A" transpants, so 4 acres are just field weeds. So, they are not really pissing me off too bad yet. Thanks.

They leave all the time. This is why people think that Juicy Fruit, human hair, etc. works to rid them of moles.

1 to 2 per acre would be average.

Ron95gt
05-16-2006, 01:09 PM
A guy at work told me to pee on some gummy bears and spread them using the Scotts spreader set on 25. They croak after coming up and eating their favorite treat. The neighbors didn't look to amused while watching me go thru this tedious process, from across the fence. We'll see.

Runner
05-16-2006, 03:25 PM
You have to drink tomato juice the night before for that to work...