PDA

View Full Version : This Is What I Have...

Splicer
02-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Thinking about a career change from the cable TV industry to lawncare. My 17 year old son is in landscaping at the career center. His 1st year but to date he is an A+ student (literally):cool2:

I have:
small 30" cut RER
Large 50" cut garden tractor w/dozer blade, tilt cart, utility deck, and 42" lawn sweeper.
1 Straight shaft 2 cycle trimmer/brush cutter w/blower-vac attachment, edger attachment, tiller attachment.
1 straight shaft 4 cycle trimmer/brush cutter that above attachments also fit.
1 32' 1 ton bucket van to haul a trailer with the equipment and to possibly do some tree trimming/gutter cleaning with.

I also have some hand tools, rakes and pruner and hedge clippers and the such.

Is this enough to start out with? I figure i will also need to p/u a push mower around a 21" for trim?

I have been a subcontractor for 25 years in catv and know what it takes there but this possible change I have no idea where to go from here.

Embarrising as it is, I must ask for help from the pros. Oh, and if you have any cable issues I can help with I will do what I can to assist.

Great site...Pretty massive almost to the point of being scary. I know how the cable forums chew up newbies left and right.:dizzy:

YardPro
02-27-2006, 07:22 PM
are you leaving for money or a change of pace? that can make all the difference.

Splicer
02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
To be honest for steadier work and to stay home. You see I have to go out on the road for an awful lot of any work I get. I just spent 4 months away from home after doing Katrina restoration work. Problem is the market is pretty much saturated with low balling scum that do crap work that someone with standards and ethics dont stand a chance. And the cable co doesnt care it is cheaper in the pencil pushers minds to band-aid the system instead of doing it right the first time. Y'all wanna know who the next Enron is huh...

But even the outta town gigs are few and far between so I need something that can sustain us and if things were to go well, have a company for my son cause I sure as hell don't want him doing cable. Certainly not building the pole line like I do.

kickin sum grass
02-28-2006, 08:59 AM
well, this industry can be just as bad, but it is possible to make a good name for yourself in time and get the rates you need. I would upgrade some of the mowers to a more commercial grade and do a little homework for yourself along with making a business plan involving your son.
It will take a little while to start making a good living if you can handle the wait.

Just noticed your from blan. I am just outside goshen myself.
I do have some equipment for sale that I was getting ready to put in the paper. Walk behind mower, lawn vac, and misc other stuff if your interested in lookin at any. Call me at 513-615-6015
see ya,
mike

PMLAWN
02-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Newbie, you don't have a clue, you will never make it--Sorry just wanted you to feel at home---:)
"I know how the cable forums chew up newbies left and right."

Call Mike and see what he has, I believe you will want some commericial mowers over the homeowner stuff.
Check your insurance before using the truck to do tree work, Most insurance co. don't like trees as part of general insurance and it may cost more. Search around in here--use Costs, Advertizing, Pricing, Overhead. There is a ton of info here and most all the people here are good guys (and girls) I would say to draw up a business plan before making the jump, maybe start part time with what you got (yes it will work for a while) and check the waters.
Good luck with it.

So did you like the movie "Cable Guy"