PDA

View Full Version : A question for the pros...

GStover
02-27-2006, 06:11 PM
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing land and placing a modular home on it. I'm in the lawn care business, but have done very little in the way of putting down pavers for walkways, etc. My question is this...the house we're purchasing will require a raised entryway porch approximately two feet high, and 8x12 for depth and width. I was wondering how one goes about supporting pavers/bricks for a raised porch. Do you build some sort of wood structue for support, or do you fill in the area with gravel/sand etc to the prefered height. I was thinking building forms as if I was going to pour concrete, then fill it in with soil, gravel, and then sand...what are the options for something like this?

The company building the home offers a wooden raised porch, but the wife wants brick/stone instead to match the walkway from the drive. I would aprreciate any help you can offer, and have looked at some of the awesome work many of you have done. I'm just not sure about the process of supporting a raised porch.

Thanks in advance...
GStover

landscapingpoolguy
02-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Wood will rot from the moisture. You build the base for the raised part the same as you would for a retainging wall. fill the pad area wil qp up to grade. then screed the top and setup base sands. I hope this is being built against the foundation and not any type of wood or sheathing withoutthe proper waterproofing. Honestly Id hire out to a pro and justget it done right.

GStover
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Actually I'm trying to get the raised porch thrown in with the house. I understand about water proofing, and the prospect of wood rotting; but being a do-it-yourself kinda guy, I thought this might be something I could tackle and learn from if I can't get it priced in with the house purchase. Like anyone else, I was just inquisitive about the process, and would like to know how the hardscaping pros do it, and I would never attempt something of this nature for one of my customers.

I do appreciate your response and look forward to other comments as well.

bigviclbi
02-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Go to your local hardscaping supplier they probably will have some literature on it for you.