PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 52" into a truck bed

grassyfras
02-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Ok guys need some help and adivce on this one. I'm trying to find a way not to use my trailer as much this year. I think it costs too much in gas and is just a big hassel to get and put away everyday. My goal is to get my 52" hydro up on ramps and put it over the wheel wells in my truck, leaving room below it for a trimmer. Anyone think this would be a good idea or somewhat easy to do. I just hate driving and parking with a trailer. I also have it on my street a lot and want to spare the neighbors from seeing it all the time. Thanks

cgland
02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I think you will hate it less when you drop your mower from 4 feet and it either hurts you badly or damages the mower. Not a good idea IMO. especially for a 52"

chris

mrbray101
02-27-2006, 05:38 PM
well whats the purpose of a trailer if you dont use it. Shouldnt be that much of a hassle, what if you need to pick up fallen branches, leaves, etc. where would you put them. Also, ive put a walk behind in a truck before, it is no fun loading and unloading on ramps unless youve got an actual ramp added onto the truck. But if you are going to use just the truck, i would suggest searching around here, ive seen some people with really nice truck setups with built on ramps/trimmer racks etc. good luck to you.

mulcahy mowing
02-27-2006, 05:40 PM
get a 5x8 and put it on side ways it's better than i bigger trailer. wont fit in the truck easy

BSDeality
02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
A lot of the "no-name" guys around here carry two scag 52"s in their trucks around here. Some just pop it over the wheel wells, I've seen others that have cut out part of the wheel wells so they can just walk it right in. Personally I wouldn't do either.

B&D Lawn Care
02-27-2006, 07:08 PM
The only way I would do it is a one time long distance deal but on a day to day, job to job. I don't think so.

David Grass
02-27-2006, 07:16 PM
I used to load my 44 into my toyota and fly all around town. Very efficient!!! I thought about getting another toyota, and taking the bed off, and having a custom built ramp system with angle to load my walker or my 54 Hustler. That would totally kick! Your low gas costs and ease and speed of going from A to B would be worth it in my opinion.

lawncare18
02-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Last summer working in ct I saw guys all the time with tow mowers in the back of pickups or even in the back of stak rack trucks and these were some prety big companys... I always figured they did it cause the narrow roads in ridgefiled and fairfield cty. as well as trafic be much easier id think..

zim bob the landscaper
02-27-2006, 08:49 PM
when i got my bunton 52" we put it in the back of a truck let me tell you its a PITA and we were puting it in a 3/4 ton truck it can be done but its not fun IMO

zim bob the landscaper
02-27-2006, 08:53 PM
get a 5x8 and put it on side ways it's better than i bigger trailer. wont fit in the truck easy

a 52" will fit in 5x8 thats what we have and we put the 52" and a 42" lawn tractor on it at the same time

Signature Landscaping1
02-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Thers no was u can fit a w/b and a lawn tractor on a 5x8 trailer

elshauno
02-27-2006, 09:41 PM
You can put a 52 in a fullsize truck build a platform betweek the wheel wells so it will clear ok Though I recommend just using a small trailer I hauled my 48 in my s10 my first year which tore my truck up. I recommend not doing it besides youll have room for other things in your truck.

Kohls Landscaping Co
02-27-2006, 10:00 PM
i hauled my 52" walk behind in the bed of my 1/2 ton truck for the first year. It's possible, I just had to take it up the ramp backwards. The front tires were 1 inch short of closing the tailgate so I just tied it up. It's possible, but it's a PITA...

Dave

grassyfras
02-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Ya ok you guys win. I would like to do it for effiecentcy and reduce PITA. SO this idea would stink even if I did get a big ramp?

Kohls Landscaping Co
02-27-2006, 11:54 PM
If you are just hauling your mower and maybe a blower and trimmer, you could very easily be just as efficient using the ramp and truck vs. the trailer. I don't know how many accounts you mow or how often you are loading and unloading. Buying a trailer requires the initial cost of the trailer, tags, insurance, etc...

One of the main reason it was a PITA for me was that my truck is a 4x4 and high off the ground and my mower was a belt drive. Basically, I would always back up to a curb or an incline so my truck was lower to the ground. Some times it would take several tries and pulling as hard as I could to get the mower onto the truck.

I outgrew using just my truck when I bought another mower and picked up a bunch more accounts outside my neighborhood. I went with a sixteen foot trailer for mowing and landscaping.

Dave

naturescape
02-28-2006, 12:39 AM
I would sell the 52 and get a 48". Then you won't have a problem. Have a fabricator build a permanent ramp for it or look for one online.

grassyfras
02-28-2006, 01:22 AM
I already own a nice trailer. I just hate using it. And I cant get a back gate fabricated becuase the truck is parked in a neighborhood and I need it to look nice. Im going to stick with the trailer for now and maybe once I get out of this neighborhood I'll get a dovetail modified for my trailer

naturescape
02-28-2006, 09:37 AM
I already own a nice trailer. I just hate using it. And I cant get a back gate fabricated becuase the truck is parked in a neighborhood and I need it to look nice. Im going to stick with the trailer for now and maybe once I get out of this neighborhood I'll get a dovetail modified for my trailer

That sounds like a plan. :)

Mr Budget
02-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Think of this, you are trying to load your mower into the back of your truck and your ramp slips, you try to save the mower from too much damage or just hurt your self, who is going to take over your job responsibility's while you are down. when all this could have been avoided by using a trailer and spending a little more on gas. accidents do happen and this would be a very dangerous practice imo

seacoastlandscape
02-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Ive had a ramp slip out unloading a 48 walk behind. Its not worth it, if I didnt have another person with me the mower probably would have been damage real bad and I would have been hurt alot worse. I wouldnt even bother, or give it a try for a day, Im sure youll understand y everyone is saying its more of a pain.

naturescape
02-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I do keep my equiment in my truck bed. BUT, I do have a custom ramp on there that can handle A LOT of weight. I wouldn't consider loading heavy equipment without a permanantly attached ramp. I've seen guys doing that, looks way too dangerous to me.

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Ok guys need some help and adivce on this one. I'm trying to find a way not to use my trailer as much this year. I think it costs too much in gas and is just a big hassel to get and put away everyday. My goal is to get my 52" hydro up on ramps and put it over the wheel wells in my truck, leaving room below it for a trimmer. Anyone think this would be a good idea or somewhat easy to do. I just hate driving and parking with a trailer. I also have it on my street a lot and want to spare the neighbors from seeing it all the time. Thanks

Build a platform almost as high as the wheel wells, it will be about 8" high. Now you will have room to slide your ramps under the platform or under your mower.You can use all the bed room now.

If its high enough you can get the weed whacker under there too.

naturescape
02-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Build a platform almost as high as the wheel wells, it will be about 8" high. Now you will have room to slide your ramps under the platform or under your mower.You can use all the bed room now.

If its high enough you can get the weed whacker under there too.

Keep in mind that will make your truck a LOT less stable and MUCH more dangerous.

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Keep in mind that will make your truck a LOT less stable and MUCH more dangerous.

Center of gravity is not high on a walk. I help another person do this six years ago with no problems as of yet.

naturescape
02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Center of gravity is not high on a walk. I help another person do this six years ago with no problems as of yet.

As of yet............ OK............... :)

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 11:28 AM
As of yet............ OK............... :)

Thats true.

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 11:42 AM

Just got word:cool2: Its as high as a flatbed:clapping: :hammerhead:

davidcalhoun
02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I too would not mess with a 2 ramp setup. It is a PITA to use them safely.

I would however buy a full width folding ramp that replaces the tailgate.

There are several places online that you can see/buy them. Try www.rampsplus.com and search for ramp called "redi-ramp". You can also go to www.ramps-ramps-ramps.com Their's is called "handi-ramp".

This setup totally takes the worry of loading/unloading out of the equation.

Add a headache rack that also holds some lawn tools and add a side rack to hold your trimmers and you are setup about as well as any one man operation can be.

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM

There are several places online that you can see/buy them. Try www.rampsplus.com and search for ramp called "redi-ramp". You can also go to www.ramps-ramps-ramps.com Their's is called "handi-ramp".

Add a headache rack that also holds some lawn tools and add a side rack to hold your trimmers and you are setup about as well as any one man operation can be.

zim bob the landscaper
02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Thers no was u can fit a w/b and a lawn tractor on a 5x8 trailer

yes you can you have to put the front tires of the tractor over the beck of the mower i know it can be good for the w/behind but thats how we had to do it

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 03:27 PM

Add a headache rack that also holds some lawn tools and add a side rack to hold your trimmers and you are setup about as well as any one man operation can be.----------------------------

4SeasonsLandscapingOCDLLC
02-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't know what kind of truck you have, but mine (2500hd) and some others have indents in the bed to put in 2x8's to separte sections of the bed and 2x4's that you can lay on top of the wheelwells. You could put a piece of plywood on top of those, but it would be a heck of a feat to get the 52" up that high. I would prob, stick with the trailer.

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't know what kind of truck you have, but mine (2500hd) and some others have indents in the bed to put in 2x8's to separte sections of the bed and 2x4's that you can lay on top of the wheelwells. You could put a piece of plywood on top of those, but it would be a heck of a feat to get the 52" up that high. I would prob, stick with the trailer.

Its possible its been done. Its not that hard with a walk,with a rider its a another thing.

naturescape
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
----------------------------MY

Just so everyone knows, that's MY truck and ramp pictured above (the blue truck). I must say, I think it looks pretty good, thanks for posting it John. I lost that pic on my harddrive.

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 04:23 PM
MY

Just so everyone knows, that's MY truck and ramp pictured above (the blue truck). I must say, I think it looks pretty good, thanks for posting it John. I lost that pic on my harddrive.

Your welcome. it took me two hours to find it.

grassyfras
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Naturescape- I liek that setup. Ideally thats what I want to do. However, my neighborhood wouldn't allow that. I will do that set-up as soon as I have a shop or live in a differnt area. Thanks.

John- The first pic looks really nice. Do those ramps sit in the bed?

John Gamba
02-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Naturescape- I liek that setup. Ideally thats what I want to do. However, my neighborhood wouldn't allow that. I will do that set-up as soon as I have a shop or live in a differnt area. Thanks.

John- The first pic looks really nice. Do those ramps sit in the bed?

They fold up:clapping: I know what its like to live in those snotty neighborhoods, Great feeling isn't it:clapping:

grassyfras
02-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Ya there great. They have their pluses though. You'll never live next to a lawn guy with a trailer.

John Gamba
03-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Ya there great. They have their pluses though. You'll never live next to a lawn guy with a trailer.

You can never live in the Bottoms again:laugh:

davidcalhoun
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Walking a 52" WB up two seperate ramps is not fun. Legs trying to straddle the boards while positioning the WB. It can be done but I would rather have a full width ramp gate.

You could even drive up a mid-mount 48" ZTR pretty easy wth a full width ramp that is either attached to the tailgate or one that replaces the tailgate.

John Gamba
03-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Walking a 52" WB up two seperate ramps is not fun. Legs trying to straddle the boards while positioning the WB. It can be done but I would rather have a full width ramp gate.

Your better off with a better ramp like in the pic.

You could even drive up a mid-mount 48" ZTR pretty easy with a full width ramp that is either attached to the tailgate or one that replaces the tailgate.

You are better off WINCHING up a Zero turn rider then trying to drive it up.:waving:

BSDeality
03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
John, there is an old timer in my town who drives his 60" scag up into the back of a IZUZU Cabover dump bed. He is insane, i've also seen him put a kubota b2500 (i think) in the back too. He has a nice little dual axle equipment trailer, but i always see him piggy backing his stuff around. crazy if you ask me.

John Gamba
03-01-2006, 08:20 PM
John, there is an old timer in my town who drives his 60" scag up into the back of a IZUZU Cabover dump bed. He is insane, i've also seen him put a kubota b2500 (i think) in the back too. He has a nice little dual axle equipment trailer, but i always see him piggy backing his stuff around. crazy if you ask me.

That was me when i was 18 or so. I agree with you he's nuts:hammerhead: i would Winch it up

caleb_harlan
03-02-2006, 12:35 AM
I dont know of your question has been answered already. ( sorry didnt feel like reading 5 pages of things I already knew.) 52 fits in my 1/2 ton ford between wheel wells but not in my 89 chevy. I did build a rack system level with the wheel wells. I kept weed eater and other tools under it. I kept the floor of the system hinged for I could get in to it. I liked it. But I really enjoy just dropping the trailer ramp and off I go. Even with it being a 16 foot one. I am thinkin about building it again and doing it again though. Put some sides on it with signage and it is cool

amvega
03-02-2006, 10:31 AM
I think you really need to look at the time it's going to take and unload. The money you save in gas is going to cost you in loading and unloading. But if we have to use a truck for our 52" we usually back it on. It's alot safer and it usually isn't to bad. I suggest you buy your self a good set of long ramps. The longer the ramps the easier it is. Our shorts ramps are extremely difficult to get any mower on the back of a truck.

John Gamba
03-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I think you really need to look at the time it's going to take and unload. The money you save in gas is going to cost you in loading and unloading. But if we have to use a truck for our 52" we usually back it on. It's alot safer and it usually isn't to bad. I suggest you buy your self a good set of long ramps. The longer the ramps the easier it is. Our shorts ramps are extremely difficult to get any mower on the back of a truck.

8 foot ramps with an arch works great