PDA

View Full Version : attaching a trimmer to a mower?

davidg
02-27-2006, 05:54 PM
has anyone ever tried this?
i'm working on a way to do it so i can trim & edge while i'm mowing.
i know that there was a co. that made one for riders, but my mower is a walk behind.

mcwlandscaping
02-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Your lines will be pretty shaky IMO, i think they are on the riders so you can drive around with the PTO off, trim, then mow, i think it is just for big props so you didn't have to walk around with the trimmer. Just my .02 though

beautifullawns
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it would be problematic. I stick to tuffin it out.:weightlifter:

ed2hess
02-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Take a look at what Walker offers!

Tonyr
02-27-2006, 06:39 PM
For those big commercial jobs, developments etc I would say they would be great, though attached, I'd edge then go back over and mow, do too many things at once could be an issue, but maybe not.

ok, these units do exist, there is talk of them here, try the search button.

Walker sell one for their mowers.

grasshopper sell one for theirs.

these are a coulter disc spring pressured via an arm into the edge you are cutting, no motors etc, very neat. I was going to buy one last year.....then bought a 3 wheeled walk behind edger, kicking myself I didn't buy the mower attachable one for those big jobs now.

if I can find any info I'll post it, but I don't think I kept the links.....I'll check.

LwnmwrMan22
02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Here you go....

http://www.4mtrimmers.com/

I tried it about 3 years ago.

I took a day putting it on my rider, then spent another 2 hours taking it off after going about 100'.

The problem is, the mower deck goes up over a bump while you need to be trimming down, or you're mowing along the bottom of a ditch, and the trimmer head is getting in the way, or you're mowing .25 mph, because it's an electric trimmer.

Granted, this was 3 years ago... but from the looks of the pictures on the website, it's still the same setup.

I didn't have the "H" model.

I ended up dumping the thing. My dealer had one that at one time was mounted on a mower at a show, and the company never got it back, so he gave it to me to try it out.

I wasn't out anything so I didn't mind just throwing it away.

Tonyr
02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
better clarify, do you want to trim OR edge......I was thinking you were more thinking of a attachment that mounted on the mower that had a blade for edging of curbs, paths etc.....

I think a string trimmer on a mower is not what most contractors would use, maybe on huge jobs where it is for under fences, etc.....actually, I reckon the one in that pic in the above link could be quite dangerous!

davidg
02-27-2006, 08:40 PM
thanks guys. actually, i'm wanting to attach a hand held trimmer to the mower that i can take off and on as needed. there will be some areas of course that i'll have to do by hand, but i want it for long stretches of fence or walls. and yes i will make it to where it can edge too, unless i go with the disc blade sys. tony mentioned. it all might not work but im gonna try!

qualitylawnmanagement
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Peco has one that goes on the mower and you can mow and trim at the same.

davidg
02-27-2006, 10:37 PM
yeah, i tried theirs. it sucks.

DLCS
02-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Does anyone have any positive expiriences with the deck mounted trimmer attachments? Seems like nothing can replace the hand held unit totally. I like Walker's edger attachment looks to me like it would work well. Does anyone make a Walker like edger attachment other mowers?

LwnmwrMan22
02-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Does anyone have any positive expiriences with the deck mounted trimmer attachments? Seems like nothing can replace the hand held unit totally. I like Walker's edger attachment looks to me like it would work well. Does anyone make a Walker like edger attachment other mowers?

DLCS -

If you had perfectly flat yards, where you could always turn left around an obstacle, with no dirt mounts, or no fencing so you didn't have to worry about stringing new line, then they MIGHT work.

In the real world, buy another trimmer.