PDA

View Full Version : Awkward stick controls

Wayne Landscaping
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I was just starting up my tiger cub to just kinda get its juices flowing for the season, and when i was driving, i noticed that the left reverse is way easier to move backwards than all of the other controls. And the tire spins.....FAST. I called my dealer and he says that i need to close the "toeing Valve" I have no idea what this is or if i have the spelling right. i looked it up in the manual and couldnt find anything, does anyone know what my problem is, thanks.

ed2hess
02-27-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't know what you are trying to say.....we can't even come close to spinning the wheel in reverse on our new Scag. The guestion is does the machine track straight in forward with the levers both pushed forward the same amount? First be sure all the hydralic levers(2) need to be greased and operating freely.

MOturkey
02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
A mechanic I'm not, but I'm thinking he meant the "towing" valve, which releases the pressure so it is easier to move a non-running mower.

wildbilly1113
02-27-2006, 07:21 PM
I am not sure if the Tiger cub has these but if it is at least 1 year old it probably is a dampner.You would have 1 on each lever linkage,connecting to each hydro pump.They look like a little car or truck shock.I have to replace mine every year and is one of the easiest repairs to do.But I could be wrong:rolleyes:

jeffnovi306
02-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I think he means the vavle that is on the hydro pump. You can loosen it 1 turn or so to enable easier pushing while not running. Then it will need to be tightened up again before running the hydro. It is about a 3/8 size bolt that looks like a pipe plug. Hope this helps

chuck bow
02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
If he means the dump valve on a cub i believe they are under the seat, at least mine are i think , one on each pump , have never replaced the dampers on the sticks but i do spray them with wd -40 several times a year. Still sounds like a dump valve got open somehow, maybe vibrated open

Wayne Landscaping
02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys, the tracking is not a problem, its just easier to move, like my friends laser xs, ill look at it again and look for the valse, but i cant tell if its with the "shock" or the valse bolt, i dunno, i might hafta take it in.

Envy Lawn Service
02-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah, he is talking about the release valves/bypass valves on the pumps that you have to turn to release the hydro pressure so you can tow or push the mower.

I doubt this is your problem. But check them anyways.

Sounds like whatever dampens your reverse stick movement is broken, unhooked, lost or worn out. (reverse detent springs/dampener shocks)

Will this stick return itself to neutral just like the other stick if you let go of it while in reverse?

Wayne Landscaping
02-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, i mean it comes back to neutral, its just wierd cause its really easy

nelbuts
02-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Actually the right side control on the Cubs are a little stiffer in reverse. And yes you can spin the tires on the cub and the Turf Tiger 29hp EFI

green acres lawns
02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
It does sound like the steering damper is bad or unhooked. I've had to replace them on my Exmark before. I even disconnected them on my sabretooth to make the levers easier to work but it was so sensitive that I was always spinning the tires and popping wheelies. So I put them back on. Dixies and Hustlers don't use dampers so their steering levers are real sensitive.

Wayne Landscaping
02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Actually the right side control on the Cubs are a little stiffer in reverse. And yes you can spin the tires on the cub and the Turf Tiger 29hp EFI
Well this is beyond a "little stiffer". Thanks for your input but i think this is a damper issue or a nuetral bypass problem

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Like others have said the mechanic was probably talking about the the valve for the hydros, also known as hydraulic relief valves. I too doubt this is the problem. Sounds more like a linkage problem.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Your bypass valve is not open. If it were you would not get any movement out of that wheel. Lube your reverse damper.That is your problem,I have to do this on a monthly basis for smooth operation in reverse.:)

Richard Martin
02-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Your bypass valve is not open. If it were you would not get any movement out of that wheel. Lube your reverse damper.That is your problem,I have to do this on a monthly basis for smooth operation in reverse.:)

It may be that the dump valve is open on the tire that won't spin. They can be partly open and the wheel will only get partial hydro pressure. It costs nothing to try.

we can't even come close to spinning the wheel in reverse on our new Scag.

Hey Ed, give it a little throttle. :hammerhead:

Oldtimer
03-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Spend some quality time with the owners manual.

Oldtimer

Wayne Landscaping
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Spend some quality time with the owners manual.

Oldtimer
I spent about an hour with it and i cant find anything, i dunno. I think its the steering dampers, i dunno, im gunna go to the dealer tommarow

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Got mt manual out to see the proper name, Try lubricating the neutral return spring and pin I bet this will solve your problem. I have the same problem from time to time.

Wayne Landscaping
03-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Got mt manual out to see the proper name, Try lubricating the neutral return spring and pin I bet this will solve your problem. I have the same problem from time to time.
Thanks for your help, what should i lube it with though, just general grease??

WildLake
03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
"I was always spinning the tires and popping wheelies"

Thats funny. I was just imaging driving by a property and seeing you pulling wheelies like a kid driving a clutch for the first time.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-01-2006, 08:22 PM
WD-40 is what I use.

ed2hess
03-01-2006, 09:17 PM
It may be that the dump valve is open on the tire that won't spin. They can be partly open and the wheel will only get partial hydro pressure. It costs nothing to try.

Hey Ed, give it a little throttle. :hammerhead:
Not much hope for solving this guys problem but I am now interested in a discussion about being able to spin the tires on Scag Cub in reverse. They have my unit adjusted(new 2005) so that you almost have to bend the handles to back up. Now I understand that if I want to go backwards faster I could adjust it and take away some of my forward speed, but why do that? For safety reasons I assume they want it so you can't back up fast. Am I missing something??

Richard Martin
03-02-2006, 03:17 AM
They have my unit adjusted(new 2005) so that you almost have to bend the handles to back up. Now I understand that if I want to go backwards faster I could adjust it and take away some of my forward speed, but why do that? For safety reasons I assume they want it so you can't back up fast. Am I missing something??

Usually the test to see if the levers are in the correct position is this...

Jack the mower up and put it on jackstands. Start it up and rev the engine to normal operating speed. Release the parking brake and pull the handles together into the operating position but don't move them forward or backward. Neither wheel should move if the handles are adjusted correctly.

green acres lawns
03-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Not much hope for solving this guys problem but I am now interested in a discussion about being able to spin the tires on Scag Cub in reverse. They have my unit adjusted(new 2005) so that you almost have to bend the handles to back up. Now I understand that if I want to go backwards faster I could adjust it and take away some of my forward speed, but why do that? For safety reasons I assume they want it so you can't back up fast. Am I missing something??
Mine were like that and I didn't like the extra effort required to back up so I simply removed the neutral spring assemblys( just two 1/4 inch bolts on each side). Works much better for me now.

Wayne Landscaping
03-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Mine were like that and I didn't like the extra effort required to back up so I simply removed the neutral spring assemblys( just two 1/4 inch bolts on each side). Works much better for me now.
Yeah, i mean, the controls do take some muscle, but i want them to be all the same, so the update is is that i went to my dealer and instead of talking to the stupidass salsman, i just went straight to the machanic and he said to remove the gas damper and just bring that in, so i did, and they ordered a new one, i hope it comes in soon.