PDA

View Full Version : blade sharpening

mike lane lawn care
02-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Hello all. I was wondering about sharpening my blades, in the past i have just sent then to the dealer and they do it in like 10 mins and costs $10. but this year i am going to be doing more lawns and the baldes will need sharpening more often. i have a dremel 400 XP with blade sharpening attachment, the one thing the manual doesn't say is how to sharpen the blades. do i just glide it over the blade?, or it is worth it to get a bench grinder?
thanks in advance,
mike

mow2nd
02-28-2006, 12:50 AM
You can buy a bench grinder for like $250 that is specially for sharpening lawn mower blades, ask your local dealer, or search ebay, i think thats where i got mine, (ebay) Very easy to use, it also makes sure you are getting the proper angel. As for the balance, just hang the blade on a nail, call me old fashion

POPO4995
02-28-2006, 01:41 AM
I use a Delta bench grinder....works fine for me and blades get sharpened every other day on everything.:)

BufalinoLand
02-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I did the old $60.00 bench grinder for years what a pain

finally went all in for the Magnamatic and balancer

cost me 8 bills for the combo, night and day difference

i have 4 21s, a 48, 52, and 61

they each get new blades at the very laziest once a week

if its in your budget, i would get the magnamatic

daveintoledo
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
many people here just use an angle grinder with sanding disks...... works great and cost about 20.00 much better then a bench grinder, that gets it too hot and the blade looses its strength (temper)

grass-scapes
02-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Ive got a blade grinder for sale. its listed in the marketplace section of this site. I used it for years. you adjust the angle by raising or lowering the wheel. Uses standard 6 inch wheels. I bought a bigger one so had no need for this one. make me an offer. Its a foley. Look at the pics.

mike lane lawn care
02-28-2006, 04:13 PM
thanks for replies all !!!!!, i tink i will go with a grinder that a local outdoor power equipment dealer sells. but, just out of curiosity, has anyone every used the dremel?

Jay Ray
02-28-2006, 10:45 PM
many people here just use an angle grinder with sanding disks...... works great and cost about 20.00 much better then a bench grinder, that gets it too hot and the blade looses its strength (temper)

A grinder will get them hot and knock the temper out, but you can keep a container of water handy and dip the blade every so often just like sharpening large drill bits.