PDA

View Full Version : Picked one up today (M72 Wide Track)

toddnks
02-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Well, after over a year of research, and looking at several thousand post in these forums, I finally picked up my ztr. One to replace my 154 cub for mowing my 5 acres and then some.

My criteria was simple, it had to be a comercial ztr, something heavy that wouldn't get torn up in a year or two. It had to mow 5 acres at a reasonable rate (2-3 hrs or less at "full speed") less than $7500 ( I really only wanted to spend $5K) and I wanted local service and support.

Well, the brands that were in contention for my money were
Cub Commercial (2 dealers)
Ferris (2 dealers)
Yazoo (1 dealer)
Scag (2 dealers)
Grasshopper (2 dealers)
ExMark (1 Dealer)
Simplicity (3 Dealers)
Snapper (2 Dealers)
Walker (1 Dealer)

And here it sits, at $7400 it was just under the price I was willing to pay. It is a 2005, and after mowing some of the yard has 1hr on the meter tonight.

I might not have made this choice if it had not been for the threadhttp://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=134374. I especially was swayed by the comments by Envy, and the link the the thread about the stripes by wriken @ http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=69972, were it not for these I would still be having issues with choices.

When I went to the dealer again to get prices, I had already talked to the other dealer on the phone. As we talked, he said he had 3 72" units which were 2005's, and could let them go for 200 more than the list on the only 60" he had that had about 20hrs on it. I jumped and called my wife, and well, now its sitting here at my place!

Thanks Guys for the great posts. I pretty much have lurked and just asked a question or two, and its great for all of to be so courteous and kind to those of us who might know machines, just not grass cutting, and landscaping.

We farm, and have plenty of machines, but they are not lawn mowers, they are bush hogs and such, our 154 international cub needed about $2k of tlc to get the mower deck back in shape for even mediocre cutting, but well now it will go back to blading the drive, disking a little, and running the one bottom plow through the garden.

When i get some green grass to cut I will send some pictures of what I accomplish with a real mower (first time in 16 years of living in this house that I have had a mower other than a 21" push type).

Thanks again. Todd.

http://kingdom.dnsalias.net/coppermine/albums/uploads/digital/2006/Febuary/normal_100_0794.JPG

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
02-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Nice purchase. Hope it works well for you.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Congrats on your purchase!
Glad I could help you find what fit your needs.

Which engine did you get?
I have a small itch for a 72" also....

toddnks
02-28-2006, 12:51 PM
Congrats on your purchase!
Glad I could help you find what fit your needs.

Which engine did you get?
I have a small itch for a 72" also....

I purchased the Generac Engine, the dealer didn't have the others available at a price I was willing to pay. I figure that the Generac is probably going to last me as a homeowner as long as the Kawasaki would, and the Cat, while wonderful would have been overkill in the cost department.

When I pulled into the dealer, I was actually looking at a 54" with a honda (last years model? A honda engine is not listed right now), but the price on the 72 was just a shade higher in price quoted, so bang for buck wise I figured it as per inch of mower deck, the 72 comes to $104, the 60 came in at $120, and the 54 that I was looking at came in at $126. Looking at what a 72" deck will do time wise (less trips up and down or side to side) in my pasture of a yard, and the fact that it was $20 cheaper per inch, brings it in real nice.

Envy, you also steered me away from the Yazoo's which I had found to be an extremely affordable cost/size ratio, but after reading what your experience was, then looking at the machines again, I found that they were not cheap enough for what I was getting.

Thanks again.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks,

The 33hp Generac is the only engine option on the 72" through Lesco and I feel it is a potent one so long as it is not a gas hog. I think you will find there is no replacement for horsepower and cutting width for cutting jobs down to size.

Once you get it dialed in and get to cutting, you'll also find that this mower will do the job nice, neat and quickly in a single pass. Most of the other mowers will not do that all the time. Epecially not on 'pasture type' lawns where you generally always find some sort of non-turf vegetation that needs to be cut.

I also think this is one of the nicest 72" packages out there because of the way the machine is laid out. No excessive wheelbase front to back, and it has the widetrack side to side. This setup means a 72" mower that is less likely to scalp than most other 72" cut mowers, and less scalping than even some 60" mowers. The narrower the track width and the longer the wheelbase, the more prone any mower is to scalping, either on the sides or while driving over humps.

Verses the Yazoo/Kees you did SUPER WELL. Not only do you get a better and longer warranty, but it is also issued from a company that will honor it should something goes wrong. You also got a better build, better cutting and more powerful machine than you would have gotten from Yazoo.

Anyways, just out of curiosity... do you remember the quote for the CAT diesel? I'm really wondering what kind of premium is involved in order to get the diesel engine. I think that one would be good on the 60" if the cost isn't way out there.

dcondon
02-28-2006, 02:32 PM
hope you like it noddnks!!!!!!! I run the 72 " for Wriken. Used it going on 3 years!!!! LOVE IT. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and help you.:waving:

NEPSJay
02-28-2006, 02:35 PM
good lookin score. good luck with it:drinkup:

dcondon
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
hope you like it noddnks!!!!!!! I run the 72 " for Wriken. Used it going on 3 years!!!! LOVE IT. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try and help you.:waving:

Sorry, I mean Toddnks!!!:dizzy:

toddnks
03-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks,
Anyways, just out of curiosity... do you remember the quote for the CAT diesel? I'm really wondering what kind of premium is involved in order to get the diesel engine. I think that one would be good on the 60" if the cost isn't way out there.

Sorry but no, it was out of the ball park before the guy gave the price to me.

I know about the hp to cut ratio from using 12' and 14' brush hogs, and the machines that I built my experience mowing this yard up with (430 JD w/60" deck, 42" Ariens Lawn Tractor, IH Cub w/60" deck).

We have several bumps and one burm<sp> that have given every machine I tried fits, the Tank goes right over the top, and doesnt scalp.

I get real anal about this kind of purchase (I want it to last for a long time) and studied everything I could find before I found Lawnsite, then studied what the folks at lawnsite said, then talked to people I know, then studied some more.

I had come down to two choices, a Ferris 1500 @ 52" or a Cub M54, then found this mower at the right time. I think part of the price I got was so that I would quit bugging the dealer (I buy parts for my 154 there which was at least once per month). Every time I would look, and slobber over the machines.

If you are interested in the LC Kawasaki I got a quote of $8999 for a 60" from one dealer and $8750 from the guy I bought from.

Sorry about not remembering, but it was above $10K so it was way above my budget.

Todd

Also thanks to the great comments from everyone else.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks Todd,

Over 10K is good enough for me. Glad you are liking the machine too. Told you I like this 72" layout the BEST. You would be hard pressed to find one that scalps less or out does it in any other area really.

Also, I just wanted to point one thing out... I noticed in the above picture that you don't have your front axle locked. If you are not aware, those two pins in the front just above the axle pivot point can be set to lock the axle. Just put it on a true flat surface, lift the footplate, remove the pins, and move them over to the outer set of holes.

Personally, I switch mine back and forth from time to time, and sometimes I set it to pivot only on one side or the other. I like some of the characteristics all settings have to offer and I'm glad I have the options to choose from.