PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Rollers

Splicer
02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Would it be worth purchasing a lawn roller for the biz? Which is better, steel or poly, sand or water filled? Any specific weight? Is that a service that could be sold?

General Landscaping
02-28-2006, 01:28 AM
You can charge for rolling.... but....you will need to explain to your customers the benefits of lawn rolling. <---- (do a search, you won't come up with much)

Why not charge for core aeration which will make you money and do the yard some good at the same time?

daveintoledo
02-28-2006, 08:54 AM
there needs to be a reason to roll a lawn,, most homeowners just want it rolled even though it is bad for the turf... compacts the soil, then it needs areated....

Splicer
02-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Rolling is bad? So if I sold that service wouldnt I sell plug aeration as well? Kinda like a 2 for 1 deal? Thanks for the replies. I'm learning...:hammerhead:

daveintoledo
02-28-2006, 12:50 PM
if your soil is like ours mostly clay, and hit hard by drought one of the worst things you can do is roll it.... be honest and try and explain that it will only harm the lawn.......dont do it, doesnt look good for your reputation... do aeriation instead.....i know that the old folks wont listen i just tell them we dont damage peoples lawns, we help them si we dont roll lawns...

reason for rolling a lawn..... damage due to a car, moles, damage from renovations..... its really only for trying to correct damage, not benificial to the turf at all...

Precision Lawns
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
reason for rolling a lawn..... damage due to a car, moles, damage from renovations..... its really only for trying to correct damage, not benificial to the turf at all...

Yup. We're just did a bid for a lawn that has extensive mole damage. However, we're also going to aerate and reseed the area we roll, since rolling just causes a different kind of damage. We sold them to the customer as a package deal (roll, aearate, seed) and they were grateful when we explained what rolling actually does to the lawn - they were happy to pay more for all 3 services.

I wouldn't roll a lawn with no damage, just to sell them on aeration. That's like saying "here, let me damage your lawn and then fix it! That will be $300."

befnme
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
rolling can also bring moisture to the surface

Splicer
02-28-2006, 08:16 PM
rolling can also bring moisture to the surface
Bad thing because...then the wheels of the tractor pulling the roller sink?

befnme
02-28-2006, 08:33 PM
unless you are in very heavy land with a high moisturen content you prob will never see the moisture .and wont leave ruts either unless you do it all dat every day for like a week.

Birdjr
02-28-2006, 08:58 PM
rollers r good to have when u need to topsoil and seed areas