PDA

View Full Version : Honda 21" Self-propelled mower with Hydrostatic Drive

dcanfield
02-28-2006, 03:13 AM
I am planning on purchasing this mower. Other then the cost are there any downsides. What, if anything do you not like about this particular mower.

Is there another walk behind commercial 21" mower that is similar to this one that costs less.

jblawns123
02-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I have been looking into this same mower.
This Honda is really nice, But I am finding that the John Deere JX75 is more for your money. It has a Kawi engine with pressure lube (oil pump) which is basically the same engine as the full sized walk behinds have. Not Hydro, they have a 5 sp gearbox which is awesome. Price hundreds less than the Honda. They both have BBC's, bearing wheels, etc.

outlaw1960
02-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey, I have both of the mowers in question, the honda seems to have a little more power, it is also heavier. It starts first pull, even cold. Now the Deere is also an awesome machine, lighter and mulches muuuch better, But parts are more expensive and take longer to get, Love both of them, my .02, you will like either one, buy the best dealer not always the best mower...........

wallawalla
02-28-2006, 11:39 AM
What is the price for the honda in Idaho?

ZaK18
02-28-2006, 12:25 PM
If your speaking about the commercial unit...I purchased one last year and was not happy...The hydro has a slow ground speed, The mower is very long, and takes a long time to turn around...The double blades suck, (not the cut quality) but the blades are thin and dent easily, Plus having to sharpen 2 blades sucks...Also I didnt like the controls...After years on using the Toro proline, It was very awkward...I returned the mower after 3 weeks and got another proline...

jameson
02-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I am planning on purchasing this mower. Other then the cost are there any downsides. What, if anything do you not like about this particular mower.

Is there another walk behind commercial 21" mower that is similar to this one that costs less.

It is still a heavy brute (for a 21"), I have "heard" that it is lighter than the old 216 commercials but it feels the same to me. The new blades (2) might as well be made out of tinfoil (thin blades, get beat up real quick) compared to the blades on the old 216's. Thats all I got on the complaint side....

I have had mine for a almost a year and if its life expectancy can be patterned on its predecessors, I will have it another 10+ years of worry free operation.

James

dcanfield
02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
What is the price for the honda in Idaho?

At the Cal Ranch Store in Pocatello they quoted me 1,119.95

Thnaks for all the input. I am surfing around looking for info on the JX75

Camelot Gardens Uk
02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I use Honda 536 QXE ProRoller 21"" single blade,alloy deck, its the top of the range commercial mower over here in UK $2400.

Don't be shocked everything is expensive here. Great cut and stripes, 55kilos is a bit heavy, has hauled me out of some odd places though. Had these for 5-6 years with only one gearbox failure after hitting a brick!

saw man
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Go for the Honda! Then come on down to SLC and get one for a better price! $1,119 is kinda high.

ZaK18
02-28-2006, 06:02 PM
I think I paid $1050 on sale...

lawnmaniac883
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
MSRP on a jx75 is 860...vs 1119

specialtylc
02-28-2006, 09:59 PM
I have been using the Honda HRC 216 hydros for ten years now. I have bought 7 of them since.The new version is one hell of a cutting & bagging machine. The twin blades are a big improvment over the old single blade deck. The new mower is 2 pounds lighter than the old one, it goes 4.2 mph and a little faster when we bump the rpms up to 3400.The bag is bigger also.
They are not perfect, but we have not found any other brand to hold up as well for us. We seem to wear out a drive line about one per year per machine.Keeping the driveline joints lubed regular helps.The new style tires dont stay on the rim on steep side hilling. We have resorted to glueing them on now, problem solved. I prefer the steel decks over the aluminum ones of Toro and JD. The steel is repairable much easier than the alum ones.

6'7 330
02-28-2006, 10:07 PM
We use honda hydro 21-inch mowers exclusively on hundreds of Chicago stamps.We bought the new 2005 model and it mulches 2000% better then 2004 and previous models.The mower bags well in all conditions.We paid 1065 each for the 2005's.

ZaK18
03-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Heres something to consider...There is no question that the Honda will hold up better than the toro...I only get one year out of the toro before its shot...But its worth it to me...The mower is much more productive, and the controls are way more effecient than the honda...My crew only uses the prolines, Ive tried everything else, and the prolines have suited us the best...During the season last year, we put 1700 trouble free hours on the toro. It will be used to do the spring clean ups, and then its off to retirement. Time equals money...and the toro is faster

instyle
03-01-2006, 08:05 AM
What you guys need is the HRX series Honda. I have heard nothing but good about them. You cost is $599. They have the twin blades, they also have the versa mow, the only make to have it. Besides the fact you can mulch amazing, but you can choose to bag what ever percentage you want to. This means major time savings. If you are trying to mulch and it is leaving clumps, just slide the lever and bad 20%, now you have no clumps. It is not a commercial mower but it will hold up just fine.

jblawns123
03-01-2006, 08:38 AM
I just had a HRX and returned it, got it for $399 too... Was mistagged at Home Cheapo. JimLewis says they don't hold up transporting place to place on trailers, the belt falls off the pulled on the motor.

How long have you had yours and how much trailering do you do with it.

instyle
03-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I have two of them on order her in town, they will be in next week. But another LCO I talk to around here uses them daily and he has not said anything about these issues. He just says they are fantastic.

Here in Canada they are $999 CDN + our 14% tax. = $969 USD after tax.

I you serious that you can get them at home depot of $399. If so I will be driving accross the line to pick some up. WOW

jblawns123
03-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I found one, last years on shelf without the cloth grass bag itself, has the metal grass cage. It was mistagged so I made them sell me it at $399, but then I returned it.

Gonna get me a JX75:dancing:

zmowing
03-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Are honda 21" hydro is great, tough as a tank. We don't have two blades on are mower. We bag 99% of the time with this mower one high lift blade.We paid 1150.00 last spring