PDA

View Full Version : What is your preferance?

dlr1
02-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Scag 48" rider with 24 hp Briggs or Ferris 48" rider with 21 hp Kaw?

Willofalltrades
02-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't like briggs untill they get into the higher horsepower. To tell you the truth I wouldn't even look at that motor. I would suggest you get the Ferris.

chimmygew
02-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Can't go wrong with a Scag.

jtkplc
02-28-2006, 11:43 AM
I would want the one with the most power.

NEPSJay
02-28-2006, 01:37 PM
are these new or used?

dlr1
02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
are these new or used?
new, the briggs model is ELS24 hpv-twin

NEPSJay
02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Briggs has come a long way in the last few years. Scag makes great machines.... I say the scag

dlr1
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Briggs has come a long way in the last few years. Scag makes great machines.... I say the scag
you may be right , I've been hearing good things about this engine. thanks

chuck bow
02-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Get a scag with the 24 horse honda or a kawi motor, i would ever have a briggs again never ever , imho the only thing i would use a briggs for is a weight to hold something down then i might be afraid it might fail in that application

Adam3669
02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Do NOT go briggs. Kawi all the way. You will be very pleased

B&D Lawn Care
02-28-2006, 08:03 PM
JMO Stay away from briggs and crapton. Go for a Scag w/ something that starts w/ a K to push it.

Lux Lawn
02-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Hey Neighbor.:waving:

They are both excellent mowers but I would probably go with the Ferris because of the Kaw. even though it is a smaller engine.

LLandscaping
02-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Why not get a Scag Tiger Cub with a Kawasaki. We have two Scag Tiger Cubs both 48's with 19 Kawasaki's. The Briggs doesn't have the Donaldson air filter that the others have because it is a promotional model.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Go with the Scag/Briggs combo if the engine cowling is all black and it carries the 2 year commercial warranty. Its a fantastic engine. Loads of power and very fuel efficient. The reason Scag offers these and Ferris does not is that Scag was one of the first to be won over by the 30-35hp Briggs engines and the first to find out what the could do.

The Scag 48" is also more of a Commercial machine.

On the other hand, I have also had a 21hp Kawasaki on a 48" deck. It was JUST OK for power while side discharging through a much less restricted deck than the Ferris has. Mulching it was weak. It was a gas hog too. It burned at least 1.25 gallons an hour AT BEST. That is more than my 25hp Kawi burns on my full size 60" mower.

I like both brands and I am not biased really. I am probably the ONLY guy here who can give you such a direct comparison. I had both engines on two identical mowers. The Kawi was a weakling in comparison and cost me a lot more to cut the same patch of grass. It was enough slower and used enough additional fuel that I actually ran it dry a couple of times by accident when I first got it and took it out on the same accounts.

Willofalltrades
03-01-2006, 12:04 AM
What dealer are you going through? I'm near you.

dlr1
03-01-2006, 08:00 AM
What dealer are you going through? I'm near you.
best truck equipment, Willoughby

Roger
03-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I was at a trade show yesterday and stopped to look at the Tiger Cub in detail. The one on the floor was STC48V-24BS, a 48" deck, with a 24 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I was told it was a "promo" model (it was labled as such on the signs).

I was surprised to see the B&S engine. It is listed in the literature I was given, but is not listed on the web site. Why? Is is just a short-term offering?

The MSRP was given as $5999 for the B&S model mentioned above, and $6999 for a 48", 19hp Kaw. A 52" wide, 23hp Kaw did not have a price, but was told "mid-7s" (maybe $7500).

Are these reasonable prices for Scag mowers? The B&S has been given a mixed review above. Are the comments based on much experience with the engine.

I was considering:

Scag, 48 or 52 Tiger Cub
Hustler, 48 or 52 Super-Mini Z
Exmark, HP - 46 or 50(?)
John Deere, 727 or 737 Z-Trak, 54" deck
Ferris 1500Z, 48", 19hp Kaw

Are these of the same stripe? Perhaps the JD 737 is in another class, mid-range, not min-range.

Envy Lawn Service
03-02-2006, 12:03 PM
Roger,

And the Briggs engine you saw was BLACK right?
Or no?

Just tring to confirm?

Anyways, the little 19hp Kawi certainly does not cost $1,000 more than the Briggs.
Last year they ran the same PROMO on the Kawi 19/48" just so you know.
What they are trying to do is just promote certain units to get them moving.
My guess is they built a ton and plan to move a ton of volume in them for '06.
Hence the promo on that model this year instead of the Kawi unit like last year.

dlr1
03-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I was at a trade show yesterday and stopped to look at the Tiger Cub in detail. The one on the floor was STC48V-24BS, a 48" deck, with a 24 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. I was told it was a "promo" model (it was labled as such on the signs).

I was surprised to see the B&S engine. It is listed in the literature I was given, but is not listed on the web site. Why? Is is just a short-term offering?

The MSRP was given as $5999 for the B&S model mentioned above, and $6999 for a 48", 19hp Kaw. A 52" wide, 23hp Kaw did not have a price, but was told "mid-7s" (maybe $7500).

Are these reasonable prices for Scag mowers? The B&S has been given a mixed review above. Are the comments based on much experience with the engine.

I was considering:

Scag, 48 or 52 Tiger Cub
Hustler, 48 or 52 Super-Mini Z
Exmark, HP - 46 or 50(?)
John Deere, 727 or 737 Z-Trak, 54" deck
Ferris 1500Z, 48", 19hp Kaw

Are these of the same stripe? Perhaps the JD 737 is in another class, mid-range, not min-range.
48' scag w/ b& s 24hp els is about 5995.00 The mechanic where i get my stuff said he would take the 24hp Briggs over the 21 Kaw. He works on all motors & is very trustworthy

CAG
03-02-2006, 12:12 PM
I would take a scag over a ferris any day and I currently own both. I would take the kaw over the briggs also but never owned a briggs on a ztr. The kaw's have always been really good motors in my experience..

Roger
03-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Roger,

And the Briggs engine you saw was BLACK right?
Or no?

Yes, it was black. It is called the ESL model (extended service life ?). Apparently, Scag is only putting it in the 48" models, not the 52".

Compared to other mowers mentioned above, the price is very favorable. But, I don't see it being used in other mowers, so reliability could be a problem (new engine?), and parts/service could be a problem. The other Kohler and Kaw engines are widely used and parts should be easy to find.

Thanks for the other replies -- I apologize if I hijacked the thread, but the posts are pretty closely related to the original question.

Envy Lawn Service
03-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Yes, it was black. It is called the ESL model (extended service life ?). Apparently, Scag is only putting it in the 48" models, not the 52".

Compared to other mowers mentioned above, the price is very favorable. But, I don't see it being used in other mowers, so reliability could be a problem (new engine?), and parts/service could be a problem. The other Kohler and Kaw engines are widely used and parts should be easy to find.

Thanks for the other replies -- I apologize if I hijacked the thread, but the posts are pretty closely related to the original question.

You don't see it used in other mowers because Briggs probably isn't popular where you are. Other commercial MFG's use them. Here they are established better and I see a lot of them. Textron is one BIG company that uses that exact ELS engine series.... Bob-Cat, Bunton, Jacobsen, Woods, ect. BadBoy is another, and there are more.

However, you do need to reference the warranty on the ELS. Some carry 2 year commercial warranties, some carry 1 year. Some are considered I/C ELS engines while others are considered 'estate' engines.

Anyways, I look at it this way... I like Briggs and I like POWER. Couple that with a commercial use warranty and sure I'm gonna take advantage of it. Especially if it means I save $1,000 plus tax on the purchase.

I mean the worst thing that can happen is that it breaks out of warranty.
The $1,000 you saved buys you a new engine 2+ years down the road.
You still come out on top.

dlr1
03-03-2006, 10:49 AM
You don't see it used in other mowers because Briggs probably isn't popular where you are. Other commercial MFG's use them. Here they are established better and I see a lot of them. Textron is one BIG company that uses that exact ELS engine series.... Bob-Cat, Bunton, Jacobsen, Woods, ect. BadBoy is another, and there are more.

However, you do need to reference the warranty on the ELS. Some carry 2 year commercial warranties, some carry 1 year. Some are considered I/C ELS engines while others are considered 'estate' engines.

Anyways, I look at it this way... I like Briggs and I like POWER. Couple that with a commercial use warranty and sure I'm gonna take advantage of it. Especially if it means I save $1,000 plus tax on the purchase.

I mean the worst thing that can happen is that it breaks out of warranty.
The $1,000 you saved buys you a new engine 2+ years down the road.
You still come out on top.2 year warranty, i bought it