PDA

View Full Version : Termites in Mulch... Warning

Inman's lawn care
02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/termites/

If you use mulch around your house be very careful about buying mulch this year. After the Hurricane in New Orleans many trees were blown over. These trees were then turned into mulch and the state is trying to get rid of tons and tons of this mulch to any stat e or company who will come and haul it away. So it will be showing up in Home Depot and Lowes at dirt cheap prices with one huge problem; Formosan Termites will be the bonus in many of those bags. New Orleans is one of the few areas in the country were the Formosan Termites has gotten a strong hold and most of the trees blown down were already badly infested with those termites. Now we may have the worst case of transporting a problem to all parts of the country that we have ever had. These termites can eat a house in no time at all and we have no good control against them, so tell your friends that own homes to avoid cheap mulch and know were it came from.

This is something I came across just thought I would let people that helped me know so they dont have problem later.
I know I am going to be very careful on what I install for my customers.
Thanks,
Inman's Lawn care

AUHort1990
02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
I saw someone speak on the Formosan a couple of years ago at the Gulf States Horticulture Expo in Mobile, AL. Scares me to death to think about them coming here and getting like they are in La. The guy had pictures of what they call the Mothers Day Snowstorm which is basically the formosan swarming. One pic was of a street light at night and it looked like a blizzard.

4SeasonsLandscapingOCDLLC
02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Does cedar kill termites? Maybe mixing in afew bags of cedar would work to be on the safe side. Just an idea?

sheshovel
02-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the warning,,will keep a sharp eye out for them.They are pretty picky what they let into Calif as far as plants and pests go but I don't know if they inspect mulch shipments.I am going to look further into this right now!

sheshovel
02-28-2006, 04:08 PM
OMG!They are already in southern Ca.I hope they don't like the high country!

YardPro
02-28-2006, 08:14 PM
......They are pretty picky what they let into Calif..

lol, wish they were that way about the PEOPLE they let in there... you guys have a lot of real headcases....LOL

sheshovel
02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Oh your real funny tonight YardPro..I think it all started with the crazy Argonauts coming in from you all's states in the early 1800's.Darlin ...overland and round the cape too!Some never to return to their familys but to forget them and start off with new ones here.Interbreeding with the mexican and digger indians I am sure did not help the crazy population as it were.

4LLAWNSINC
03-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Cedar mulch doesn't kill termites-they just don't eat it.

bushvelt
03-01-2006, 09:57 AM
How do they like the cold? It's 20 degrees here today, will they survive in N.Y.?

MarcSmith
03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
but when they go below the frost level or get into the 2x4's of your house, they could care less how cold it is outside....

bushvelt
03-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I agree, MarcSmith, This year the frost is only about 5" deep, usually about 3+ft. Personally I spray the exterior base around the house,twice a year,with a 6 month pest control product. Trying to control infilltration of all & any critters,but thats just me. The original post said "we have no good control against them", are they really that tough? thanks

MarcSmith
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
in my house in floirda I had some formosa's, but a good dursban drench and then sentricon monitoring, I never had any more problems.

Inman's lawn care
03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks " Marc Smith" for the advice on the experience of what you did.

I pulled this artical off the internet,I was searching for Cheaper Mulch for stock and ran across this artical.

"4LLAWNSINC" Cedar mulch doesn't kill termites-they just don't eat it.
This is true they just move on or to something that tast better like your house or shed.

So be carefull out there guys & Gals.:)

Thanks,
Inman's Lawn Care

Turfdude
03-01-2006, 08:02 PM
in my house in floirda I had some formosa's, but a good dursban drench and then sentricon monitoring, I never had any more problems.
yes, but dursbans been off the market for a few years now.

Don't the mulch distributors in that area properly compost the mulch at a high enough temp to kill off the termites b4 sending the product thru the bagging machine?? Our biggest problem w/ mulches is the stupid artillery fungi. As far as termites in mulch goes, only had a problem one time. The client had an active colony that wound up feedinf on the hardwood as well as on the foundation of the building. Generally, termites are not found in bulk mulch piles.

MarcSmith
03-02-2006, 07:02 AM
I had the termite problem when I lived in FLA which was back in the late 90's. I would imagine that you could use tempo2 or some other broad spectrum insecticide as a soil drench.

I think Tempo still has termites on the label. or something that has imidacloprid as the AI would work as well....

Az Gardener
03-03-2006, 09:09 AM
yes, but dursbans been off the market for a few years now.

Don't the mulch distributors in that area properly compost the mulch at a high enough temp to kill off the termites b4 sending the product thru the bagging machine?? Our biggest problem w/ mulches is the stupid artillery fungi. As far as termites in mulch goes, only had a problem one time. The client had an active colony that wound up feedinf on the hardwood as well as on the foundation of the building. Generally, termites are not found in bulk mulch piles.

You have hit upon one of my pet peeves here, compost and mulch are two different products. You wouldn't call eggs and coco brownies. Mulch is the stage before compost. Mulch is actually robbing your plants of nitrogen not releasing it as compost does. Thats why the termites would not be killed in mulch, compost yes. Also a word of caution, just because you are sold a product called compost does'nt mean it really is. I have tested products marketed as compost to find they were not completely composted and loaded with salts because they sprayed them down with affluent water. I found a good supplier and have had them checked a few times over the years they always come back low in salts and high in available nitrogen. Good compost

Chris@CRU
03-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Formosan Termites... Already havea firm footing in Florida and Texas. They WILL eat cypress mulch. The natural oil that repels most insects breaks down over a period of time, dependant upon the moisture and UV light. Formosans will eat a 8 FT 2x4 in 18 to 21 days. They rely on humans to transport them around. They arrived in Texas in 1965 courtesy of the US Army shipping helecopter blades back from SE Asia.

Chris@CRU
03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Formosan Termites... Already have a firm footing in Florida and Texas. They WILL eat cypress mulch. The natural oil that repels most insects breaks down over a period of time, dependant upon the moisture and UV light. Formosans will eat a 8 FT 2x4 in 18 to 21 days. They can eat through lead, aluminum, concrete and some thin steel. They rely on humans to transport them around. They arrived in Texas in 1965 courtesy of the US Army shipping helecopter blades back from SE Asia.

Chris@CRU
03-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Normal termiticides, least the ones unliscenced people can purchase, will NOT kill Formosan termites. Dursban, even the termiticide at full label strength will NOT kill them. Termidor and Premise will. The idea that any over the counter product purchased from Home Depot of other do it yourself store, is going to offer any protection for more than a few days, is misleading. I have performed termite control in Florida for 18 years. The Formosan is adapting and it is coming to a home near you. Be careful about getting into applications of termiticide or insecticides to control termites for you will most likley be performing services you are not liscenced for. Florida is serious about the yard man exemption pertaining to the application of pesticides. You cannot purchase or supply your own product, period. Applying anything, bleach, to the ground for termites, is against the law. You have to be certified in termite control. It might be better to have the homeowner contact a pest control professional and stay out of the state's cross hairs.

MarcSmith
03-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Please before starting any panic.

LDAF has imposed a quarantine on wood products from the hurricane area

Provisions of the quarantine imposed by the LDAF include:

Movement of wood or cellulose material is prohibited unless either (1) it is fumigated or treated for Formosan subterranean termites and is approved for movement by the commissioner or his designee(s) or (2) written authorization is given by the commissioner or his designee(s) for the movement of untreated wood or cellulose material from the quarantined parishes.
Temporary housing cannot be moved from the named parishes until written authorization is given by the commissioner or his designee(s).
All architectural components (beams, doors and salvaged wood) cannot be sold or placed in any structure in any parish until the architectural components are fumigated or treated for Formosan subterranean termites.
Additionally, it is strongly recommended and urged that all new construction and reconstruction of structures in the quarantined parishes use termite-resistant materials. Termite-resistant materials include pressure-treated wood (borates, ammonical copper quat or copper azole) or non-cellulose materials.

Yes the Formosan is bad. yes I had formosans in my house when I lived in orlando. through sentrincon and an application of termiticide I was able to eleminate the colony. If you are not labeled for WDO don't even get involved. its not worth it...

Personally i would be more worried about in coming invasion of Emerald ashborers, asain longhorn beatles and Sirex Wood Wasps, and the possible damage to 90% of the most common trees currenlty used in horticulture they can cause.

BladeRunner1967
03-09-2006, 07:08 AM
Got a sign up at the front door at Home Depot saying their mulch is termite free

MarcSmith
03-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Got a sign up at the front door at Home Depot saying their mulch is termite free

And the staff at home depot is so in tune with what is coming and going through their store :rolleyes: I would hazard a guess that maybe a couple employee's at home depot could ID a termite if you gave thme a 50/50 chance and I doubt they are inspecting.

if you wan to be sure that you are getting good mulch I would purchase much form a local supplier who grinds and chops their own products or from a rewholesaler who purchases from local people. Take the guess work out of the equation.

David Grass
03-09-2006, 07:50 AM
OUr local news just ran a bit on the "INTERNET SCARE" about mulch from New Orleans region. In NC we have so much available locally and thru Georgia, that it would just cost too much to have it shipped here. Secondly, there is a quarintine and most is mulched , then going to a landfill, NOT to be used as mulch.

Splicer
03-11-2006, 09:33 AM
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/termites.asp