PDA

View Full Version : Draining an Automatic Sprinkler System

Green Boys LawnCare
02-28-2006, 11:35 AM
I recently got this contract for a bank. In addition to LawnCare, they want me to maintain the automatic sprinkler system. I've never done any work on sprinkler systems. The first thing I need to do is close the drain, that was opened up over the winter, and program the system. I'm having trouble finding the drain. Does anyone know where these drains are typically located, or what I should look for? I found the controller, it's a Hunter Pro-C. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

sheshovel
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Typicaly located at or on the very end of the line.Should be the lowest spot in the line and have a cap on it or plug in it.Or sometimes it is just the lowest head on the line.They remove it..blow out the line then replace it

MarcSmith
02-28-2006, 01:12 PM
if there is not a "drain" line, most sytem up north they just hook up to a quick connect and blow the system down, and then either close or remove the back flow preventer. some tiems the back flow preventer is in a maintenance closet, our out side near the building....

I would reccomend always blowing out the system....that way you can be sure all of the water is out, and less chance for freeze damage.

Also, when openingt he backflow preventer and start charging the mainline, make sure you have at lease one zone open to help prevent air build up in the system to help reduce hammer and blowouts... then cycle through each zone and check for leaks and repair heads as needed and your good to go for the season....

SprinklerGuy
02-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Depending on the size of the property and how many valves:

Typical locations for mainline drains....

In the valve box(es) with the valves......boiler drain, hosebibb, or auto drain.

In a separate valve box at the end of the mainline.

Also in separate valve box near valve manifolds

Locations of drain have regional differences....what we do here in CO may or may not be what you do in KS..and what the do in CA is probably different as well. Look in those places.....then get back to us if necessary.

It is also possible to turn the water on....that will help you find it as a last resort. HINT..look for the large amounts of water coming out of the ground ;)

h2o2gunr
02-28-2006, 09:04 PM
knucleheads turn on the water, you will find any drains that are open. that will be 65 dollars

PurpHaze
03-01-2006, 08:43 AM
It is also possible to turn the water on....that will help you find it as a last resort. HINT..look for the large amounts of water coming out of the ground ;)

knucleheads turn on the water, you will find any drains that are open. that will be 65 dollars

RULE #1: When all else fails, turn the water on and look for the wet spot." :laugh:

We still use this when trying to locate leaks in areas that have gone unreported and turn into swamps. Turn the backflow or isolation valve off for a few days to allow swamp to dry up a bit. Then turn valve back on and look for wet spot. :hammerhead: