PDA

View Full Version : Toro Proline or Snapper Hi-vac?

chimmygew
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I am going to break down and buy a good 21" mower this year. I have always used Lawn Boy, but the new ones they have out are nickel and diming me to death. My local dealer only carries Snapper and Toro. So, my question is, would you buy a Toro Proline or a Snapper Hi-Vac. What are the major differences and your likes/dislikes? I won't buy a Honda because that dealer is an hour away and my local dealer is great. He also told me he was getting ready to take a 2005 36" Scag hydro on trade. I would really like the 36", but would probably not use it that much. So, which 21" would you buy and why?

saw man
02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Toro has Blade clutch and mulches good. Snapper doesnt have blade clutch and bags great. Both good machines, just depends on what you are looking for it to do best.

Edgewater
02-28-2006, 05:41 PM
We use the Toros with the BBC. I like them and they bag and mulch well.

I may try the snapper one day, but it will have to be real good to get me to switch from toro.

Adam

Duck Dodger
02-28-2006, 05:51 PM
I would go with toro. Just wondering why you wouldn't be able to use the 36? I havn't seen too many places that you would have to use a 20".

lawnboy dan
02-28-2006, 07:54 PM
neither! the john deere jx75 is a better mower. the snapper is tops in vacume but worst in reliability on its drive sys.

lonnie
02-28-2006, 08:00 PM
Had both. Toro by a longshot. Toro is the best mulching mower out there.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Love the BBC.... hate the Toro.
Love the 2 cycle Suzuki.... hate the no-balls power.
Love the bagging ability.... hate the lack of mulching ability.
Love the rear drive.... hate the fact it does not work properly.

Look at the Snapper, Ariens, Gravely, and Honda... maybe some more(?)

A sub of mine also has a top of the line John Deere that he loves more than anything.
I've never used it though, he's the sub.... LOL...

LLandscaping
02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
We have two Toro Proline 21's. One has a 5.5 Suzuki and the other has a 5.5 Kawasaki. The Suzuki is on its 4th season and the Kawasaki is on its 8th. Both have original motors and are still used daily. The only other 21's we have had was a John Deere JX85 before the Toro's. It was in the shop more than we used it, we sold it after 6 months. The Toro's we had have been great and I would recommend them.

lawnboy dan
03-01-2006, 07:11 PM
my jx85,s have been the most trouble free mowers i have owned one is 12 yrs old!