PDA

View Full Version : seeding and weed control question

Microbe
02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
I have recently put in a bid for a job for a complete restoration of a lawn. I will be using round up to kill off the existing vegetation but my question is. I will be rototilling the ground, after grading/seeding/, what happens if I get massive amounts of weeds as well as a healthy lawn? Also, should I use pre-m before july to prevent crabgrass from germinating? Its in direct sun. I'm using a TTTF mix from Lesco called Eco-Sential Survival Seed mix. I had this problem last year, and wanted to prevent it this time.:dancing: :dancing:

UrbanCowboy
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Do not use pre-m. This a root inhibator. 2 mowings completed. Then spray the property with Drive 75DF and Carfetrazone. This will control what you want. As far as the crabgrass, spray it in the fall with Drive 75DF or just live with it. Fertilize the property with atleast 1 to 2 lbs of phosporus. This will stimulate quick root growth

lilmarvin4064
03-01-2006, 02:17 PM
I really don't understand why many people "start over" a lawn (round-up), unless there's really no desirable grass to speak of, or if the soil needs some serious amending. Tilling the soil will kick up a lot more weed seeds than aeration/overseed or slice seeding, or both. Definitely do a soil test. If you need lime or something this would be a perfect opportunity to incorporate it into the soil, as well as starter fert if you need the P. Applying excess P (starter fert) than what is needed in the spring will help the weeds out big time. Yeah, if you are seeding fescue, you could spray some Drive as a pre-em and post-em; with Quicksilver is a great mix. You could come back and do a Dimension app 5 or 6 weeks later but it is a little risky.

ninrocket
03-01-2006, 03:36 PM
If you do decide to completely renovate it would be wise to water the dirt a few times and wait a week or two before seeding...if your customer doesn't mind the dirt yard. This will allow the weed seeds that you are DEFINITLY going to uncover time to germinate. You can hit them again with roundup after the first week and then wait another week to seed.

Best thing to do is avoid the complete renovation unless absolutely necessary...like the prior post suggested.

GreenMonster
03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Use tupersan -- starter fert w/ pre-m control

olderthandirt
03-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I think a full renovation is the best way, why wait a yr or two for what a renovation can accomplish in 2 months. I thick stand of turf will smother out many weeds

somo1
03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't totally kill a lawn and rototill unless you wanted to level the lawn out will you were renovating it. Why not do weed control, powerseed in two directions with about 8 lbs./k with TTTF. Then take care of anymore weeds and crabgrass after a couple of mowings. The important thing that the customer is going to have to do is water,water, water. Do they have an irrigation system? If they do and you put down enough seed you shouldn't have a very bad weed problem. :usflag:

befnme
03-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I have recently put in a bid for a job for a complete restoration of a lawn. I will be using round up to kill off the existing vegetation but my question is. I will be rototilling the ground, after grading/seeding/, what happens if I get massive amounts of weeds as well as a healthy lawn? Also, should I use pre-m before july to prevent crabgrass from germinating? Its in direct sun. I'm using a TTTF mix from Lesco called Eco-Sential Survival Seed mix. I had this problem last year, and wanted to prevent it this time.:dancing: :dancing:

a healthy thriving lawn will not allow very many weeds with regular maintenance anyway.

gqnine44
03-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Use tupersan -- starter fert w/ pre-m control

I was talking to Lesco today about tupersan or a product like it. They said they dont sell it and dont believe in it. Where do you usually buy it? It really lets the desirable turfgrass germinate but not the crabgrass? It sounds like a must for spring seeding. Is there a downside to it?

allgreenlawncare
03-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Last year was my first time using Tupersan..

I used a powder sprayed immediately after renovation and seeding..

It worked real good but make sure you are very complete on your spraying..

That said I just got a price yesterday from BWI on some starter fert granuals with tupersan.. 25lb bags only $24.00 per rate is less than 3lb per thousand sq..

This year if quoting a new lawn or renovation I will definitely build it in and explain it to the customer if they want it done now..

lilmarvin4064
03-02-2006, 08:19 AM
I've recently come to find out that Drive 75 works just as good if not better as a "seed-time" pre-em than Tupersan. That Tupersan-fert combo sounds very convenient.

Personally, I would consider a total lawn renovation in the fall, but not the spring; just my opinion.

Microbe
03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
I agree with the "fall," idea. I'm gona offer that option to the new homeowner. Sometimes people want it done sooner.. He's excited it and wants to start... I'll see what I can do.. I think I'm just gone use round up, remove the old lawn either spade, or sod cutter. Let the weeds germinate, round up again, then add a few inch's of organic topsoil grade and seed. The only weed I"m scared of is Crabgrass. Can I apply pre-m in Late Jun or Early July if I seed in april or early may?