PDA

View Full Version : How many of you need more time on thursdays and fridays

Mr Budget
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm starting to get back some of my 2006 contracts that i had sent out over the past week or so,and have found several of my costumers are requesting that there grass be cut on Thursday or Friday this year. instead of the day they had last year They all use the same reason " It looks so good right after your done i have friends come here on the weekends to visit, and i love to see them enjoy the looks of my lawn". How do you say no to a statement like that!!:dizzy: I find most of my commercial accounts are the same way too, they want Friday cuts. To look good for the weekend. Are others having this same problem or is it just the area that i live in?

wglawncare
02-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Well I'm in Wisconsin and have that same problem. Most of my customers dont live in the house I maintian for them, the houses are just their summer and weekend homes. So all of them want their grass cut Friday. So if I am sometimes late on them thay can get very picky, because they want the lawn done BEFORE they arrive. This task is especially hard while I am still attending school. I am not sure how I am going to get this done this year. But I have a good relationship with most of the customers so if I am late one or two times it wont bother them. The only way I see of making sure that all of your accounts get done is to get a few more guys those 2 days. Or say to the guys you have now. Dont lollygag and if you guys get every single one of these properties done today, without any complaints of quality expect a " bonus" from me. I dont know what you would make this bonus, but it woould be worth it for you to have all of your clients happy and done on the day they wanted. Another option is to offer some of the people a break if they switch to another day. Maybe a Wednesday night, or a Satuday morning.

MMLawn
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Rule # 1 of Lawn Care

NEVER, ever, let the client dictate the day of the week of the cut. If they insist on a certain day I always say, thanks but maybe you better get little Johnny down the road to cut it.

The majority of residentials will always "prefer" Thursday or Friday naturally and even a big company can only do so many per day. If we have an opening, which is rare and an exsisting client doesn't want it then I would try and assist them but we also add a $2.00 weekly fee for a requested Thursday or Friday cut if I approve it, but I will never let a client tell me which day I will cut....EVER.

YardPro
02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
tell them sure... for an extra $10.00/cut. ( or whatever amount it is worth to you)

we have a huge problem with that here.. almost all vacation homes.
we started either charging more for those days, or reserving that time for our best clients

Daily Lawn/Landscape
02-28-2006, 07:57 PM
I charge a $15.00 fee for anyone who wants to pick a day other than the day we are in the area. Have to make up for travel and trouble . They change their minds quickly.

1MajorTom
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
We find that some do want the Thursday or Friday cuts, but it has yet to become an overwhelming problem for us. When we go on an estimate, the potential client is told upfront, "we are in your area on such and such day and this will be your service day". They are told this before they even get the chance to ask for a specific day. Seems to really cut down on those Friday requests, when they already know beforehand what day we are in their area.

befnme
02-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Rule # 1 of Lawn Care

NEVER, ever, let the client dictate the day of the week of the cut. If they insist on a certain day I always say, thanks but maybe you better get little Johnny down the road to cut it.

The majority of residentials will always "prefer" Thursday or Friday naturally and even a big company can only do so many per day. If we have an opening, which is rare and an exsisting client doesn't want it then I would try and assist them but we also add a $2.00 weekly fee for a requested Thursday or Friday cut if I approve it, but I will never let a client tell me which day I will cut....EVER.

that sound like a good idea but i think i would charge 5 to 10 bucks more because what if you have another prop right around the corner that wants it done the day after the frist one ? now you have to go right back and spend more than 2.00 in fuel and labor.

Roger
02-28-2006, 08:19 PM
I have complied with a few requests, so it set up my Thursday and Friday schedules. They have been full the past couple of years, so anybody else has to take another day. I know several others would like Thur or Fri, but I cannot accomdate them, and they are satisfied so far. I have grouped Wed, Thur, and Fri into the same areas, so it works for me. I know who does not care a bit, and they get put into the Monday and Tuesday schedules.

I have yet to consider charging extra for those days because I fear that some will opt out. Then I'm confronted with visiting a neighborhood twice in each week, and I don't want to do that. But, I know that if I wanted to move most of the Thur/Fri people to another day, they would find another contractor.

beautifullawns
02-28-2006, 08:22 PM
In our area (seacoast) All of our commercial and people that live on the beach all must be cut thursdays or fridays. We end up making it a 12 or 13 hour day. We charge extra if they request this. People are willing to pay extra to have their lawn look good for the weekend.

BSDeality
02-28-2006, 08:27 PM
last fall thursdays started @ 7am on the turf (30 min south of HQ) and ended 7pm. I can't complain about the gross for the day, but boy you get really damn tired after hour 8 of laboring. Fridays are almost as bad, 8am-5pm.

chuck bow
02-28-2006, 09:19 PM
I dont know how i get by with it but i only mow 2 resd lawns and a very large commercial( 4hrs) on fri then sat is for shrub trimming mulch work ect all others are done mon thru thursday ( 12 hr days ) had some request for later in the week cutting but after explaining it will cost ALOT extra for this service they decline and stay where they are at in schedule. Still work a 68 to 70 hr week

HOOLIE
02-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I honestly don't have many people request end-of-the-week cuttings. A few have, if they are lucky to live in the area I'm mowing in on Fridays then good for them, they are in luck.

It's good to take care of your customers, but I would never overload my schedule on certain days to make certain people happy.

specialtylc
02-28-2006, 09:33 PM
I only have about 30 residential clients, most of our work is commercial. I never give them an option for the day its cut. I tell them it will be cut on the day that we are in the area , PERIOD. Most never have a problem with that.

Jpocket
02-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Thursdays and Fridays are always my biggest days, we always run full tilt on these days..This year I am hoping that Tuesday and wednesday will be just as Dense. Monday is for Commercials and Rental properties.

befnme
02-28-2006, 09:55 PM
actualy i have a car dealership set up on every thrusday between 2 & 4 pm that way when i get there they have all of the vehicles off of the grass .

nelbuts
02-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Whose business is it anyway?

Listen set up your route in advance. If you get some one who is in your Monday section then they get cut on Monday. If they are in a Thursday section then cut them on Thursday. The point is this if you set them up then you won't be running around burning gas, losing time and MONEY.

lawnman_scott
02-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I dont know how i get by with it but i only mow 2 resd lawns and a very large commercial( 4hrs) on fri then sat is for shrub trimming mulch work ect all others are done mon thru thursday ( 12 hr days ) had some request for later in the week cutting but after explaining it will cost ALOT extra for this service they decline and stay where they are at in schedule. Still work a 68 to 70 hr weekSame with me. I do one lawn on fridays, a large commercial. If someonw watns to make it worthwhile I will do them on friday, but they dont.

Mr Budget
03-01-2006, 09:05 AM
well it's nice to know i'm not the only one dealing with this problem. and i thank all of you that have given advice, i like the idea of charging a fee if they want to pick the day other then what i want to schedule

Luvs2Play
03-01-2006, 09:38 AM
We only schedule for Friday mornings, making that our short day. Our Friday customers are ones that we have had since the beginning when we started part time. This way we can take care of customers needing a special mowing request for funerals, weddings, or parties. We do charge extra for that, but have always been able to keep them happy. Must request special services (other than funerals) at least two weeks in advance). We make that clear when we initially set up the accounts.

Sir mowsalot
03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
Friday's is my golf/fishing/rain make up day along with sat. , and sun. I work mon-thurs.